Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Enabling MRV using your home networking

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1194 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   georgeorwell

georgeorwell

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:41 PM

I got mine turned back on relatively easy, and while I was waiting, I asked if June 11th was still on for 3D. The rep replied, "We're not offering 3D". Then he did a search and found out they were offering it, and it's still on for June 11th.

Last week, when my DVR died and they sent a replacment, they told me during activation that they no longer offer locals over a DVR. I asked to speak to the woman's manager, and then he told me the same thing. Do you think Directv spends any time training these people?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   MalibuRacing

MalibuRacing

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:45 PM

I called back, supervisor told me I needed upgrade.

I reset my receivers, it's working now. Hmmm.... Guess I don't need the $159 upgrade to my equipment after all. :nono2:
H20, HR20, HR21

#103 OFFLINE   directvsocks

directvsocks

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:47 PM

If this were true, I'd just wave my hand and everyone would have MRV just the way they want it .. but thanks for the sentiment. :)

That's why I used the little g:cool:

#104 OFFLINE   Gweeto

Gweeto

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:51 PM

Was starting the Twitter process when you posted this. Just sent the email per your instructions. We shall see, thanks for all the information.

That's the problem with email. Sent mine at 3:50 and still no response and still not activated.
Subscriber since 2000
Receivers: HR23-700, HR22-100, HR21-700, H21-100, HR10-250, Sony A65
Dish: Slimline 5LNB pole-mount
TVs: 46" Samsung 1080p 120 HZ LCD, Sony 60" LCD Projection, 32" Samsung LCD, a few randoms
Audio: Yamaha RX-V863, Pioneer 5.1 Receiver

#105 OFFLINE   jfulcher

jfulcher

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:51 PM

Anyone get the legacy premier w/ FREE DVR working yet with MRV? I refuse to pay $7. I could switch to UVerse for $20 less a month and have FREE MRV. I'm OK paying $3/mo for MRV, but I'm not paying $10 total because DTV has either A) moronic programmers that can't figure out to program for different scenarios or B) money hungry management that wants to nickle and dime their customers.

If anyone from DTV is reading this you have two weeks to figure this out or I'm done with you and I'll take my $170/month elsewhere.

Edited by jfulcher, 20 May 2010 - 08:01 PM.

#106 OFFLINE   TechIsCool

TechIsCool

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:54 PM

Posted Image
Is this package Grandfathered?

#107 OFFLINE   primushed

primushed

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:01 PM

Mine was also "expired" when I got home this evening. I called, waited on hold, was offered the $99 DECA/SWiM upgrade (plus $49 installation fee, nice), which I declined. She then had to send me off to Tech Support, where it was turned on pretty easily (need a supervisor's assistance, though). Checked the DVR a couple minutes later and it showed as activated. Guess I got lucky with the CSR/TS folks.

#108 OFFLINE   KSteiner

KSteiner

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:01 PM

Just off the phone with tech support....Call them and then ask for a supervisor, they are the only ones than can update your account. I have a legacy package and they did not have to change anything. (except teh $3 per month) The rep did say this was un-supported (which i know) and that I can't call for help with MRV. I said that is cool. I am now work again!!
Steiner

HR20-700, H20-100, , HR22-100, H23-600

Sony 50" SXRD
LG 55" LH90
Denon AVR-2106
Onkyo TX-SR608
Samsung LN-S3251D

Running WP11 for Media Sharing (No Intel Viiv)
TVersity

:lol: :grin:

#109 OFFLINE   HofstraJet

HofstraJet

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts
  • LocationCoral Springs, FL

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:04 PM

I just called - spoke to a rep and asked for the network support group as I wanted to add whole house DVR with an unsupported network. She transferred me and I explained that I wanted to use an unsupported network and was part of the national pre-release program. He said that he has been helping many beta customers (his words, not mine), explained the $3 charge and lack of support, and then added the service. Was done in a little over 8 minutes. Receivers don't show it active yet, but website shows it on my account. He said may take a little bit for receivers to show it as active (I will be restarting them shortly). FWIW, I have Premier, HD, and am grandfathered into free lifetime DVR.

UPDATE: They all work now. :-)

Edited by HofstraJet, 20 May 2010 - 08:53 PM.

#110 OFFLINE   JLester

JLester

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:09 PM

I called in today after work and before seeing this thread. The initial rep understood what I wanted, but said she did not have that button yet and transferred me to technical support. The person I reached there asked if I had SWM (I installed myself and they were still showing multiswitch) and was I part of the beta group. I said yes to both and was back activated approximately 15 minutes later. Neither asked if I was using Ethernet or DECA, and I did not volunteer any info. I was only on the phone for about 5 minutes!

#111 OFFLINE   15_Off

15_Off

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:09 PM

I too was a home ethernet beta user.

I sent the email outlined here about 4 hours ago. It is now authorized and showing up on my account and the dvr says it is authorized.

Thanks for the tip!

#112 OFFLINE   bobsyouruncle

bobsyouruncle

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:18 PM

once they change package back it will dissapear but they can then turn it back on (basicaly they have to enable it a second time) and it will work..

Someone give this man a cigar.

Whole home dvr activated. Legacy Choice XTRA+HD DVR package still intact.

I might actually get to sleep in the same bed with my wife tonight. In hind sight, not sure it was ever a good idea to introduce her to MRV when it was in CE. She was mighty unhappy with me for a few hours there. The whole $3 vs $4 thing is what we refer to as those "it's the principal of it" things that always seem to get me into trouble. It doesn't help when I ask if she would rather be married to someone without principles.

#113 OFFLINE   newlinux

newlinux

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:18 PM

I sent an email an hour ago - no luck. Tried calling one CSR and he said I couldn't have it enabled then I told him I could - he researched it, then came back and said I could and that he had enabled it. Then I tried it and it didn't work (still not activated) and he said he couldn't enable it and no other CSR would be able to either because my account is not supported. *SIGH* I'll try again later...

#114 OFFLINE   TechIsCool

TechIsCool

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:28 PM

I might actually get to sleep in the same bed with my wife tonight. In hind sight, not sure it was ever a good idea to introduce her to MRV when it was in CE. She was mighty unhappy with me for a few hours there. The whole $3 vs $4 thing is what we refer to as those "it's the principal of it" things that always seem to get me into trouble. It doesn't help when I ask if she would rather be married to someone without principles.

So what did you do they removed your choice extra + added MRV and then added back your choice extra +??? please describe what you did to get this to work

#115 OFFLINE   pappy97

pappy97

Icon

• No PM's
  • 611 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:29 PM

Can someone explain this to me? Doug and others here say that if you have Choice Xtra + HDDVR legacy package, you can't get Whole Home DVR activated, but here we have a poster who did just that.
My setup (TV + DirecTV):
Master Bedroom: LG 32" 120hz LCD TV, GENIE Client
Living room: Samsung 46" 120hz LED LCD TV 7000 series, GENIE Master
Dedicated HT: Epson 8700UB projector with 150" 16:9 painted on screen and 180" 2.4:1 painted on screen, HD-DVR (HR22), Denon AVR-890, Klipsch Icon Front Speakers, Center Speaker, and Klipsch Icon Floorstanders for side and rear speakers (6 total floorstanders), subwoofer is BIC America V-1220 12" down-firing sub

#116 OFFLINE   bobsyouruncle

bobsyouruncle

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:32 PM

So what did you do they removed your choice extra + added MRV and then added back your choice extra +??? please describe what you did to get this to work

Pretty much covered it yourself. It did take a supervisor to pull it off.
Just make sure when they temporarily change your package, that they also add HD & DVR service. Then add MRV. When they switch you back to your legacy package, it apparently turns off MRV. But then they can apparently turn it back on.

EDIT - It should be noted that none of this was what I would call "easy". The CSR's where quite literally flying blind from what I could tell. Even the supervisor that switched the package told me he would do it, but that he knew it would take MRV off the account when he switched it back. He did not seem to be aware that he could then go back in to add it back.

Edited by bobsyouruncle, 20 May 2010 - 08:38 PM.

#117 OFFLINE   blmoore

blmoore

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 138 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:33 PM

Anyone get the legacy premier w/ FREE DVR working yet with MRV? I refuse to pay $7. .

Yes, I just did it. I called, CSR was clueless and kept saying DVR was already activated on my account. I pushed her a little bit and she forwarded me to tech support. Tech support knew exactly what I wanted to do, asked me if I already had it working before, and set it up. The HR-22 authorized right away, but she had to send the signal to the HR-20 a couple of times before it authorized.
HR20-700 w/ WD 1TB/Antec MX-1, HDMI to Sony 52" XBR6 LCD, Logitech Harmony 890
HR22-100, HDMI to Sony 46" XBR2 LCD
HDVR2 DirecTivo, 212 Hours, SlingBox AV
Slimline dish, Zinwell WB68

#118 OFFLINE   Rakul

Rakul

Slacker

• Registered
  • 623 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:35 PM

Can someone explain this to me? Doug and others here say that if you have Choice Xtra + HDDVR legacy package, you can't get Whole Home DVR activated, but here we have a poster who did just that.

I think this is another YMMV until they get a system worked out, I thought I was going to have to get rid of +HDDVR earlier today when MRV died on me after it was turned on last Friday, but they fixed it again and it's on now, just checked the web again see no activity other than MRV and I now see MRV as activated.
All on SWMLine:
HR22-100 > HDMI > Samsung 4665 LCD [Networked]
HR20-100S > HDMI > Samsung 4665 LCD [Networked]
HR20-700 > HDMI > Insignia NS-LCD26-09 LCD [Networked]
HR21-100 > HDMI > Samsung 26B360 LCD [Networked]
Full Setup

#119 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:36 PM

1. they have to switch you to another package with HD and DVR
2. enable MRV
3. switch back
4. re enable MRV

your bill will be a mess from the switching/charges/credits :lol:

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#120 OFFLINE   alant40

alant40

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:46 PM

ill pay the extra buck i dont care...itll save the hassle of calling back and trying to get them to "turn back on" choice xtra plus hddvr...as long as the channels are the same, 3 or 4 bucks doesnt matter, especailly when i am expecting a really good deal on sunday ticket...

Trust me, the dollar doesn't bother me in the least. I have 9 receivers on my account and do NFL, NBA and MLB each year. I told the supervisor about the package being expired and she said lets do it another way. So I keep my package; if they upped it to get it working, so be it!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...