Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Enabling MRV using your home networking

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1194 replies to this topic

#1181 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,369 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:16 PM

Is there any benefit to getting the newer version of the DECA's?  Noticed someone on Amazon selling the white early-DECA for $10, while Solid Signal charges $50 for either one. 

Also be sure you actually need one; the Genies have them built in. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#1182 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,367 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:10 PM

AFAKI, no. As long as the white DECA's have the green lable on them they work the same as the newer model DECA's.

The white DECAs always had a green label, after all the green label means that the equipment was made compatible with "DECA"
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#1183 OFFLINE   VABlitz

VABlitz

• Registered
  • 109 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:33 PM

Also be sure you actually need one; the Genies have them built in. 

Yeah, I don't have one of those, yet.  Although, I plan on purchasing an HR44 and a GenieGo.  Right now I just have 1 HR21 and 2 HR22 

#1184 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,521 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:28 AM

Is there any benefit to getting the newer version of the DECA's?  Noticed someone on Amazon selling the white early-DECA for $10, while Solid Signal charges $50 for either one. 

Take a look on ebay.  The new DECA's are also available for less than $10 shipped.

#1185 OFFLINE   VABlitz

VABlitz

• Registered
  • 109 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:49 PM

Purchased two of them from Amazon, received them today Amazon shipped, and lo and behold they're the newer black DECAs.  So, I guess the seller just didn't update the picture or the model number. 

Edited by VABlitz, 19 June 2013 - 09:51 PM.

#1186 OFFLINE   VABlitz

VABlitz

• Registered
  • 109 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:26 PM

Another question, If I decide to not purchase the HR44 would I need to purchase a CCK or can I just install a DECA near my router and install the DECAs on my HR21s (this is with SWM16 and a SWS Splitter and of course the RG6 to the DECA connected to the router)?  Also, noticed solidsignal no longer carries the wired version of the CCK...has the wired one been discontinued?  Or can the wireless CCK be wired as well?

Edited by VABlitz, 26 June 2013 - 07:26 PM.

#1187 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,367 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:30 PM

Another question, If I decide to not purchase the HR44 would I need to purchase a CCK or can I just install a DECA near my router and install the DECAs on my HR21s (this is with SWM16 and a SWS Splitter and of course the RG6 to the DECA connected to the router)? Also, noticed solidsignal no longer carries the wired version of the CCK...has the wired one been discontinued? Or can the wireless CCK be wired as well?

CCK and DECA is pretty much the same thing.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#1188 OFFLINE   VABlitz

VABlitz

• Registered
  • 109 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:08 PM

CCK and DECA is pretty much the same thing.

Thought the CCK was the wireless/wired adapter box http://www.solidsign...ion-kit-(cck-w), and the DECA was the adapter with the pigtail http://www.solidsign...eca2--(dca2sr0).  So, if they are the same thing...a DECA on my router will work.   

#1189 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,367 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:17 PM

Thought the CCK was the wireless/wired adapter box http://www.solidsign...ion-kit-(cck-w), and the DECA was the adapter with the pigtail http://www.solidsign...eca2--(dca2sr0). So, if they are the same thing...a DECA on my router will work.

The DECA that connects to your router is the same as the one that connects to your receiver, the difference is that the one for the router comes with a power supply since there is no receiver to get power from. The DECA that connects to teh router is knows as DECA broadband, the one for the receiver is known as DECA Home Adapter
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#1190 OFFLINE   FlightRisk

FlightRisk

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:22 PM

I currently have 1 HR-22 100 in my main room and one R16-500 in a loft. I have SWiM. I have the HR22 networked via hardwire to a switch that fans out the connection to my router (So I go from my cable modem to a wireless/wired router and then run one wire to another switch in my main TV room to connect to my TV, XBox, Blu-ray, SAT, etc). This HR22 also has the power inserter connected. I DO NOT have easy network access to the R16 in the loft. I finally bought an HD TV for the loft and want to upgrade so that I have 2 HD DVRs. I was thinking that I could get full MRV and network capability by doing the following, can you check my math:

1. Get rid of the R16 and remove the filter on the line

2. Get a new Genie and put it in the main room where the HR-22 is now

3. Connect the coax from the power inserter to the Genie and the CAT6 cable from my switch to the network port on the Genie (just as they are now connected to the HR-22)

4. Take the HR22 and move it to the loft

5. Get a DECA for the HR22 in the loft so it will work, connect the coax and network wires on the DECA to the HR-22

6. Call D* and ask them nicely to enable the whole house feature.

7. This will give me full MRV, internet, and use of the 6 tuners across both units to record, right?

If I didn't miss anything, the DECA/CCK features of the Genie will supply internet and internal media networking on the COAX for both boxes with no other parts other than mentioned. The network line supplies the internet connection and the Genie and the DECA on the loft HR-22 provide the whole house connection on the coax subnet. All correct? Anything else I will need or have to ask for? Cables?

BTW, what is the going rate to try and get an upgrade to a GENIE? Any way to get them to upgrade for under $100? Can I also get them to let me do it myself? They seem to want to force you to pay for an installer to come for a Genie. I was hoping to avoid $200 plus a $20 shipping fee, plus a $50 service call. I am outside my latest 2 year contract and willing to tell them I will switch back to cable if they can't make it competitive.

Edited by FlightRisk, 27 June 2013 - 05:27 PM.

#1191 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,367 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:25 PM

your connection "sequence" is spot on. regarding the other stuff, I dont like to get involve on those. Best to call DirecTV and see what they have to offer
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#1192 OFFLINE   zebra

zebra

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 11:31 PM

Can someone please share their notes on setting up  LAN using Ethernet (without DECA).

My coax is for OTA and DirecTV - no place for network over coax.

#1193 ONLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,713 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:44 AM

Can someone please share their notes on setting up  LAN using Ethernet (without DECA).

Start by letting us know exactly what DirecTV equipment you have (models, etc). 

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#1194 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,275 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 03:02 AM

Can someone please share their notes on setting up LAN using Ethernet (without DECA).

I'd suggest using just the new thread you started. Easier to keep track. ;)

#1195 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 11:41 AM

I'd suggest using just the new thread you started. Easier to keep track. ;)

I second that and so will close this one.

A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...