Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Enabling MRV using your home networking

• Please log in to reply
1190 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   new_2_hd

new_2_hd

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:05 AM

I tried the email twice and it didn't work because I have Total Choice Plus, but I called and got it added on the first try. The problem now is that one of my receivers is saying it is not authorized to do it. The guy on the phone made it clear that DTV will not provide any support if it doesn't work, so does that mean I can't call and find out why it is saying it is not authorized?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,455 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:08 AM

I tried the email twice and it didn't work because I have Total Choice Plus, but I called and got it added on the first try. The problem now is that one of my receivers is saying it is not authorized to do it. The guy on the phone made it clear that DTV will not provide any support if it doesn't work, so does that mean I can't call and find out why it is saying it is not authorized?

If you have an account on directv.com, you might want to try "help", "tools", "refresh services". A "refresh" may solve your problem. Nothing to lose by trying, at any rate. :)
/steve

#163 OFFLINE   new_2_hd

new_2_hd

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:13 AM

If you have an account on directv.com, you might want to try "help", "tools", "refresh services". A "refresh" may solve your problem. Nothing to lose by trying, at any rate. :)

That worked! Thank you so much. I didn't even know that was there. Seriously, this site is so helpful, thank you all so much!

#164 OFFLINE   jacmyoung

jacmyoung

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:20 AM

This was my experience last night.

I called late I guess the CSR department closed, the automated service kept asking me questions but not transferring me to a live person, after 5 minutes of pressing buttons, I said "cancel service", finally got a live person. He had absolutely no clue about the MRV first, but kept apologizing to me every other sentence. He then proceeded to offer me $10 off for 6 months for my trouble. I said please stop apologizing to me and I don't need the credit, just let me talk to someone who might know how to activate, but he refused. Finally had to end the call.

Next call I said "tech department", got a lady on the line, she knew the MRV gig and knew I was one of the beta testers. But no upgrade, no activation. Worked on her for another 30 minutes no success, ended that call again, thanked her for the help.

I pretty much had given up at that point but the wife continued to complain, so called "tech department" again, got a guy on the phone, still could not add the service, more frustrating was I could not understand him, I swear he was American as apple pie, but he was mumbling all the way. For another 30 minutes I just waited on the phone while he mumbled while trying to activate my MRV, finally I noticed my MRV was on! I asked him what he did, he could not figure out himself, but told me he saw the $10 off for 6 months for my trouble. While he never apologized, and I never really understood most what he said, my MRV was on at last!

I thanked all three of them for the trouble, but that was one of the most bizarre experience I must say.

#165 OFFLINE   JMII

JMII

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:31 AM

Still no reply from my email to them from around 8:30PM EST last night. I've got a legacy package (TC+ w/DVR & HD) so I wonder if that's throwing them for a loop. I really hate to call since it wastes my time and theirs.

Like others said this should be SO simple, anyone that ran the beta clearly knows MORE then the CSRs do... its depressing and scary at the same time.

#166 OFFLINE   SkersR1

SkersR1

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:47 AM

Still no reply from my email to them from around 8:30PM EST last night. I've got a legacy package (TC+ w/DVR & HD) so I wonder if that's throwing them for a loop. I really hate to call since it wastes my time and theirs.

I have the same TC+ w/ DVR & HD and sent an email about 30 minutes before you did at a little after 7:00 CST. Still no answer here either.

#167 OFFLINE   suddenlyissoon

suddenlyissoon

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:03 AM

So will this work for me if I didn't have the beta service? I'm getting a little irritated with the whole process.

I called Wednesday to get it activated and was told my HR23 & HR21 were not eligible and I needed to buy the HR24. I got on twitter and told them the situation and that i was using one wired and one wireless unit. They were great and had someone call me who was ready to activate it but I wasn't at home.

I called last night and the girl tried to tell me I wasn't eligible because I didn't have a SWM line installed. I explained that I did and even went so far as to read the label on the adapter to her. She was nice but said she couldn't get any further because of the computer "glitch". The only way was to pay for the install of the SWM & the adapters (which she quoted me at $160).

I just want the stupid thing activated! I don't understand why it's such a hassle. I could do the DECA install myself from the pictures I've seen if that's what they really wanted but it sounds like they will still let you use your wireless network if you take the responsibility for it. With 4 months left on my contract this is not the way I should be getting treated, especially when I have an all fiber local provider (epbfi.com), comcast, & u-verse all trying to win my business.

#168 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:30 PM

Here's an alternate method that has met with success as well ..

This procedure is for those folks who want to use their own home networking and continue to enjoy Multiroom viewing.

• Call 1-800-531-5000
  • Give Your Phone # when prompted
  • At the main menu voice prompt say "Whole Home DVR Service"
    At this point you should be connected to an agent
  • Tell the agent that you have been participating in the 'Whole Home DVR Service beta' and you want to enable 'MRV-Capability' so that you can activate 'Whole Home DVR Service' on your account
  • Ask the CSR to cancel (or do not enter) the Connected Home upgrade screen
  • Ask the CSR to enter 'Account Attributes' and choose 'Create New'. 'Account Attibutes' is on the far right hand side of the screen that the CSR is looking at under the same drop down menu as 'Adding Services'. The only option here is 'MRV-Capability' and it should be set to 'u' (for unsupported) with mostly defaults. At this point, you have enabled the 'MRV' flag and you could (in theory) order from the web page. I saw it when viewing my account via the web.
  • Once this has been set, the CSR will have to exit your account information and then reenter your account information screen so that the information refreshes.
  • At this point, the CSR can now enable "Whole Home DVR Service"

Sometimes CSRs are having trouble finding 'Account Attributes' menu .. It's apparently on the far right hand side of the screen and hard to find. But once they get to this area, it usually goes smooth.

There have been a small number of CSRs that truly do not have access to this menu .. In this case the CSR may need to have authorization turned on first. This does not seem to be a rule, but more an exception.

Yet another method
(Source)

• Ask the CSR to go into the DORIS database
  • Pull up the article "Whole Home DVR Service"
  • Go to the link "Adding Whole Home DVR Service"

Caveats

Look at your statement, if your package is:

PLUS HD DVR Monthly

Most likely your statement should show this instead:

CHOICE XTRA Monthly
HD Access Monthly
DVR Access Monthly

The latter is $1/month more than the former, but the packages are otherwise the same thing.
Ask the CSR to use the instructions in DORIS in this case

Edited by Doug Brott, 21 May 2010 - 09:17 AM.

DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#169 OFFLINE   JJaret

JJaret

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:04 AM

D really dropped the ball on this one, especially for the Beta Testers. I mean really all they had to do was notify us beta testers earlier to activate before it went national. Thats the least they could of did for testing it for them GEESH.:nono2:

I agree whole heartedly. They should not have deauthorized Beta Testers. They should have notified us that they will start charging $3/month for the service effective your next statement and if you don't upgrade to DECA it will not be supported.

After my email and subsequent call, because I couldn't wait for them to respond to the email, in which I had to threaten cancel my almost 20 year account to get them to turn it back on without converting to DECA, I am convinced this is mostly about money. They want to sell something.

The CSRs are trained to sell you the upgrade. They are trained to play dumb until you threaten to cancel service. At that point, they all of a sudden become cooperative and find a way to do it in less than 5 minutes. This is the 3rd time since February that a threat to cancel has gotten something done. One day these companies will realize that angering loyal customers to the point of cancellation, is not good business.

I don't mind the $3/mo, oops $4/mo, charge for the MRV, it is the best or 2nd best feature they have ever offered. I just didn't want to change something that has worked fine for months. DECA may ultilmately be the best way to go, but I'd rather wait to upgrade when they come up with a true whole home DVR with sufficient tuners and hard disk space to meet my needs.

As for having to change my package, I look at it as they made a one dollar pricing error on the legacy package. They have been trying to rectify their math error by getting us to change to their current package stucture for months.

#170 OFFLINE   dkraft

dkraft

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:14 AM

Called customer service a couple of times with now luck. Followed the instructions for emailing in the sticky listed here.

Sent the email about 6.00pm last night. Got this email this morning and I am happy:) I have had the Choice Extra HD + DVR package for years.

FROM DIRECTV CUSTOMER SUPPORT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thank you for writing. I understand you would like to add the Whole-Home DVR Service. To enjoy the very best experience with our Whole-Home DVR Service, customers must make use of our SWiM network. Our proven technology creates a connection (network) with coaxial cables and eliminates issues that exist with an Ethernet connection (network) such as Freeze Frame and Pixelation. Testing has shown that DIRECTV may not be able to completely eliminate some of these issues within an Ethernet network where Whole-Home DVR Service is being used.

However, per your request I've added Whole-Home DVR Service at its normal price of $3 per month. Please note that we will be unable to provide additional support (troubleshooting) specific to the Whole-Home DVR Service. Furthermore, this offer doesn't include DECAs and Band-Stop Filters nor receiver swaps.

I appreciate you giving us the opportunity to assist you with your concerns. We do appreciate having you as a customer and we look forward to serving you for many more years to come.

Thanks again for writing.

Sincerely,

#171 OFFLINE   jtm

jtm

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:16 AM

After getting no response to my email, it took three calls to DIRECTV to get the MRV service authorized. The first two calls were to Tech Support and both reps told me they couldn't help because I had to upgrade my equipment first in order to get the Whole Home DVR Service. I thanked them and hung up. My third call went to a regular CSR who said, "No problem. I was fooling around with the system at home yesterday. I can set it up for you." it took him about three minutes to have my system working.

If you decide to go the telephone route, don't give up! Eventually you'll find someone who can help.

#172 OFFLINE   pappy97

pappy97

Icon

• No PM's
  • 605 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:16 AM

Called customer service a couple of times with now luck. Followed the instructions for emailing in the sticky listed here.

Sent the email about 6.00pm last night. Got this email this morning and I am happy:) I have had the Choice Extra HD + DVR package for years.

FROM DIRECTV CUSTOMER SUPPORT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thank you for writing. I understand you would like to add the Whole-Home DVR Service. To enjoy the very best experience with our Whole-Home DVR Service, customers must make use of our SWiM network. Our proven technology creates a connection (network) with coaxial cables and eliminates issues that exist with an Ethernet connection (network) such as Freeze Frame and Pixelation. Testing has shown that DIRECTV may not be able to completely eliminate some of these issues within an Ethernet network where Whole-Home DVR Service is being used.

However, per your request I've added Whole-Home DVR Service at its normal price of $3 per month. Please note that we will be unable to provide additional support (troubleshooting) specific to the Whole-Home DVR Service. Furthermore, this offer doesn't include DECAs and Band-Stop Filters nor receiver swaps.

I appreciate you giving us the opportunity to assist you with your concerns. We do appreciate having you as a customer and we look forward to serving you for many more years to come.

Thanks again for writing.

Sincerely,

Thanks for posting this. I am definitely smelling some inconsistency here w/r/t to people with Choice Xtra +HDDVR legacy package.

Many of us are told we need to upgrade to current package. Some are having to call CSR's to have them upgrade to current package, turn MRV on, then downgrade back to legacy, and then turn MRV on.

And now it seems like others are able to simply get it turned on with no change/hassle whatsoever w/r/t Choice Xtra + HDDVR.

:confused:
My setup (TV + DirecTV):
Master Bedroom: LG 32" 120hz LCD TV, GENIE Client
Living room: Samsung 46" 120hz LED LCD TV 7000 series, GENIE Master
Dedicated HT: Epson 8700UB projector with 150" 16:9 painted on screen and 180" 2.4:1 painted on screen, HD-DVR (HR22), Denon AVR-890, Klipsch Icon Front Speakers, Center Speaker, and Klipsch Icon Floorstanders for side and rear speakers (6 total floorstanders), subwoofer is BIC America V-1220 12" down-firing sub

#173 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:20 AM

Since E-mail seems to be faltering for some folks, I've added back the instructions with slight modification from the the original thread. You can find the information at the following URL:
http://www.dbstalk.c...796#post2466796

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#174 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:27 AM

I just want the stupid thing activated! I don't understand why it's such a hassle. I could do the DECA install myself from the pictures I've seen if that's what they really wanted but it sounds like they will still let you use your wireless network if you take the responsibility for it. With 4 months left on my contract this is not the way I should be getting treated, especially when I have an all fiber local provider (epbfi.com), comcast, & u-verse all trying to win my business.

I understand the frustration, I really do .. This 'unsupported' process is just that. DIRECTV wants folks to be on DECA, plain and simple. This process that we are using was shoehorned in @ the 10th hour and was not part of the original plan.

Making this process a bit difficult will keep the mom & pops of the world from utilizing it and going with a solution that has longer term reliability in households that are less technical.

Persistence, patience and politeness is the best way to get this to completion.

Also, we've already found some very odd situations where folks with certain packages cannot add the service no matter what. This has led to frustration on the part of posters here and CSRs alike.

Things are improving, but we're definitely not "there" yet.

#175 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:34 AM

Since E-mail seems to be faltering for some folks, I've added back the instructions with slight modification from the the original thread. You can find the information at the following URL:
http://www.dbstalk.c...796#post2466796

I would call but at this point I'm so infuriated by this whole process that I strongly doubt I could stay civil if the CSR showed any hint that they didn't know what they heck they were doing. I know this will not help anyone so it seems that repeated email attempts are my best bet for now.
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#176 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:39 AM

I would call but at this point I'm so infuriated by this whole process that I strongly doubt I could stay civil if the CSR showed any hint that they didn't know what they heck they were doing. I know this will not help anyone so it seems that repeated email attempts are my best bet for now.

Maybe add the bit about DORIS in your E-mail message .. :)

#177 OFFLINE   suddenlyissoon

suddenlyissoon

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:46 AM

I understand the frustration, I really do .. This 'unsupported' process is just that. DIRECTV wants folks to be on DECA, plain and simple. This process that we are using was shoehorned in @ the 10th hour and was not part of the original plan.

Making this process a bit difficult will keep the mom & pops of the world from utilizing it and going with a solution that has longer term reliability in households that are less technical.

Persistence, patience and politeness is the best way to get this to completion.

Also, we've already found some very odd situations where folks with certain packages cannot add the service no matter what. This has led to frustration on the part of posters here and CSRs alike.

Things are improving, but we're definitely not "there" yet.

Thanks. It makes me feel a lot better to know that it can be done. It's easy for me to stay nice on the phone. I guess I will keep trying!

#178 OFFLINE   bb37

bb37

Godfather

• Registered
  • 287 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:50 AM

Since E-mail seems to be faltering for some folks, I've added back the instructions with slight modification from the the original thread.

Doug, I really do appreciate everything you are doing to make it possible for us customers to enjoy MRV with an unsupported home network. Obviously, it is frustrating is to be told by CSRs that a method of using MRV that worked during the beta won't work. The other point of frustration is that the method for enabling unsupported MRV seems to be a moving target. But, I'm preaching to the choir.

I received both my new H23 receiver from DirecTV and my new splitter from Solid Signal in yesterday's FedEx delivery. I now have an HR21, an R22 (HD-enabled), and an H23 activated and working all fed from a SWM-8. My account shows all three receivers, Choice Xtra package with HD Access and DVR service. I tried the email approach last night about 10:30 EDT. So far, no response and my account still shows that I'm not eligible for Whole-Home DVR service.

Do you know if they are backed up processing these emails? How long should I wait before emailing again or calling?

Thank you.
Air, water, food, and shelter are needs.
Television and your favorite channels are wants.
Don't confuse the two.

#179 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:23 AM

Do you know if they are backed up processing these emails? How long should I wait before emailing again or calling?

Between an MRV roll out, the Hx24 roll out and a new national release .. yeah, I'm thinking the CSRs are working long hours right now. Activity in all call centers and support facilities are probably as high now as they've been in a long time.

#180 OFFLINE   NetRaider

NetRaider

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:28 AM

Any thoughts on non BETA customers getting unsupported MRV?
NetRaider

spam firewall