Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Multi-Room Viewing Turned off!

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dkraft

dkraft

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 02:30 PM

I was using the beta version of the Multi Room Viewing and everything was fine. Then suddenly today IT STOPPED working and a message told me to call customer service for authorization.

I called customer service to tell them to turn it back on and they told me new equipment was needed. 99.00 upgrade and 49.00 installation.

I'm not mad about the cost for the upgrade but I am really pissed about cutting the service off with out notice.

I follow DBS talk a lot but did not see this coming (turning multi room viewing off with out notice)

Maybe it was me and I missed the notice, thread or something.

First time in 13 years that I hate Directv at the moment :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 02:34 PM

I was using the beta version of the Multi Room Viewing and everything was fine. Then suddenly today IT STOPPED working and a message told me to call customer service for authorization.

I called customer service to tell them to turn it back on and they told me new equipment was needed. 99.00 upgrade and 49.00 installation.

I'm not mad about the cost for the upgrade but I am really pissed about cutting the service off with out notice.

I follow DBS talk a lot but did not see this coming (turning multi room viewing off with out notice)

Can't see how you missed the notice. MRV went live on 5/13 with a grace period to 5/20. There are multiple threads dealing with the issue. You have a couple of choices.

Have DTV come out and make you official. (They provide the gear, suport and connectivity., $3.00/month) + install fees.

Continue with your own hardware and get DTV to turn on MRV as unsupported, You provide the support, but pay $3.00 a month. There are several threads on how to do this.

Bob

#3 OFFLINE   rob316

rob316

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 02:37 PM

It's been all over DBSTALK for the last couple days how could you have missed all the postings.:lol:

#4 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 02:38 PM

I was wondering when the first of these posts would show up.

You might want to look at the Connected Home sub-forum...

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

#5 OFFLINE   dkraft

dkraft

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 02:58 PM

Just mark me down as another idiot that does not pay attention :)

Can't see how you missed the notice. MRV went live on 5/13 with a grace period to 5/20. There are multiple threads dealing with the issue. You have a couple of choices.

Have DTV come out and make you official. (They provide the gear, suport and connectivity., $3.00/month) + install fees.

Continue with your own hardware and get DTV to turn on MRV as unsupported, You provide the support, but pay $3.00 a month. There are several threads on how to do this.

Bob

#6 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 03:05 PM

Just call them back and have them activate it so that you can use your existing home network just like you have been. You'll stay have to pay the $3/mo, but they should be able to turn it back on immediately and you won't have to spend $150 in equipment.
Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
(1) Slimline 3 LBN dish (2 lines direct to each HR2x. No multiswitch.)
D* since January 2003

#7 OFFLINE   stansher

stansher

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 03:20 PM

Bob

Just got off the phone with Direct. I have been using the beta on my gigabite network with no problem. I asked if I could go the unsupported route and they refused. Long story short and 150 later, I am having deca installed on Sunday. I will have my dish tweaked at the same time .

#8 OFFLINE   EricRobins

EricRobins

Godfather

• Registered
  • 463 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 03:39 PM

I was able to get my "unsupported" system activated no problem. They even offered to do the DECA install for $49, but I declined.

#9 OFFLINE   tacua

tacua

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 03:40 PM

Does anyone know which transponders on D12 are:
MSNBCHD
TravelHD
WGN HD
Life HD
Hallmark HD
Many thanks,

#10 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 03:43 PM

MSNBCHD
TravelHD
WGN HD
Life HD
Hallmark HD
Many thanks,

Look here.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=172899

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#11 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,180 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 03:49 PM

MSNBCHD
TravelHD
WGN HD
Life HD
Hallmark HD
Many thanks,

D12/TP19. Slight chance it's TP18, but I believe it's TP19.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#12 OFFLINE   hyde76

hyde76

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:07 PM

Just mark me down as another idiot that does not pay attention :)

not at all. Don't all you folks realize that there's been some much bigger news the past couple of days that may have distracted some people from noticing that MRV was now out of Beta? I sure did not bother with those other threads. I was concentrating on D10 / D12. You did nothing wrong.

#13 OFFLINE   stansher

stansher

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:15 PM

I was able to get my "unsupported" system activated no problem. They even offered to do the DECA install for $49, but I declined.

I called back, they cancelled the install and activated it. thanks

#14 OFFLINE   TimGoodwin

TimGoodwin

Icon

• Registered
  • 596 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:53 PM

I just had mine turned back on without the Deca upgrade also.

#15 OFFLINE   Janice805

Janice805

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:55 PM

dkraft ...Don't let people make you beat yourself up for "not paying attention" here. While I come to this board a couple of times a week, I don't have all day to read all posts about everything.

I think it's the responsibility of DIRECT TV (God forbid I say this) to notify US of imminent changes. Not necessarily in writing (if that's too much), but gadzooks, I mean I have an e-mail address listed on their website, but they've NEVER used it to notify me of ANY changes. They could have let us know that new channels were coming 05/19/10 (none of which I personally have any interest in, except maybe TRAV and I noticed they cleverly stuck HALLMARK MOVIES in the Extra Pack (which I won't pay for PERIOD)!!! They could also have sent an e-mail regarding the MRV shutoff, rather than me getting a strange message across (only 1 of my screens) which I didn't have time to read and lost it. AAAAAARG. Geez, some people don't even own computers. Come on Direct TV. Notify your customers in ADVANCE of any changes. Is that asking too much? P.S. And group, don't jump on me. These are only MY opinions.

#16 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:13 PM

I knew it was being turned off today and still, I waited until afterwards to make the switch.

Yeah, it's OK not to live, breathe and drink DBSTALK, although I won't admit that in public.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#17 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:51 PM

Just got off the phone with Direct. I have been using the beta on my gigabite network with no problem. I asked if I could go the unsupported route and they refused. Long story short and 150 later, I am having deca installed on Sunday. I will have my dish tweaked at the same time .

Apparently DTV wants all new unsupported requests to come in via email. There is a thread in the "connected home forum" that describes the process.

Bob

#18 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,499 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:17 PM

dkraft ...Don't let people make you beat yourself up for "not paying attention" here. While I come to this board a couple of times a week, I don't have all day to read all posts about everything.

I think it's the responsibility of DIRECT TV (God forbid I say this) to notify US of imminent changes. Not necessarily in writing (if that's too much), but gadzooks, I mean I have an e-mail address listed on their website, but they've NEVER used it to notify me of ANY changes. They could have let us know that new channels were coming 05/19/10 (none of which I personally have any interest in, except maybe TRAV and I noticed they cleverly stuck HALLMARK MOVIES in the Extra Pack (which I won't pay for PERIOD)!!! They could also have sent an e-mail regarding the MRV shutoff, rather than me getting a strange message across (only 1 of my screens) which I didn't have time to read and lost it. AAAAAARG. Geez, some people don't even own computers. Come on Direct TV. Notify your customers in ADVANCE of any changes. Is that asking too much? P.S. And group, don't jump on me. These are only MY opinions.

Considering the major uptick in the amount of TVMail, they could have used that to announce the new channels. And they weren't being clever about Hallmark Movies. They don't carry a SD counterpart, so that's where it goes.

#19 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:43 PM

I'm moving this to the Connected Home forum.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#20 OFFLINE   msmith

msmith

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 07:02 AM

I discovered today that placing a DECA order does NOT cause MRV to remain on. I had to call customer service to have it turned on again. It took the CSR a while to get it working and I had to run System Test before the re-hit took.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...