Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Networking my HR20 receiver

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   iowaberg

iowaberg

Godfather

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:09 PM

Up until a couple of months ago, I was using wireless G router on my primary HR23 receiver and wireless G ethernet converter on my upstairs HR 20 receiver and had no problems with MRV. I upgraded to a wireless N router on my primary receiver. Since then, I have been unable to connect to the Internet or network using the wireless G converter. Is it because I can't use an N router with the G converter? Because the higher bandwidth capabilities of the N router? Other than DECA, what would you suggest I get to replace my wireless G Ethernet converter? I've tried numerous resets, checked the ethernet cord connections, everything and can not get connected to anything with my HR20 with the ethernet converter.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:14 PM

Up until a couple of months ago, I was using wireless G router on my primary HR23 receiver and wireless G ethernet converter on my upstairs HR 20 receiver and had no problems with MRV. I upgraded to a wireless N router on my primary receiver. Since then, I have been unable to connect to the Internet or network using the wireless G converter. Is it because I can't use an N router with the G converter? Because the higher bandwidth capabilities of the N router? Other than DECA, what would you suggest I get to replace my wireless G Ethernet converter? I've tried numerous resets, checked the ethernet cord connections, everything and can not get connected to anything with my HR20 with the ethernet converter.

I assume you mean Wireless G Bridge (or Game Adapter) when you say 'ethernet converter'. Your N router can (probably) be configured to be N only or N+G (among other options)... since you don't say what it is, I can't say for certain.

The Linksys WET610N is a Wireless-N Bridge that would probably provide what you want for your HR20.

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

#3 OFFLINE   iowaberg

iowaberg

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:22 PM

It says wireless Ethernet G Converter on it. Made by Buffalo. I have a Belkin N router. I guess what I need to know...is what are others using to connect their receivers to their wireless network?

#4 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,264 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:09 PM

It says wireless Ethernet G Converter on it. Made by Buffalo. I have a Belkin N router. I guess what I need to know...is what are others using to connect their receivers to their wireless network?

Make sure that the router is allowing mixed modes as mentioned by dwcolvin. If the router is only allowing wireless-n, your wireless-G ethernet bridge will not connect to your network.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#5 OFFLINE   vetrev

vetrev

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:33 AM

I have a Linksys 310 Wireless N router and used Linksys wireless N game adapters to connect two HR20 receivers to the network. Even with wireless N, I could not get HD MRV to work. SD was no problem, but HD shows did not play smoothly at all. I know my network was all wireless N. I recommend that you just go with DECA. It works great!!!

#6 OFFLINE   iowaberg

iowaberg

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:28 AM

If I go the DECA route and all I have is an HR23 and a HR20 (not connected to an HDTV) what will that cost me in additional equipment?

#7 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:53 AM

If I go the DECA route and all I have is an HR23 and a HR20 (not connected to an HDTV) what will that cost me in additional equipment?

Is the HR20 a -100 or -700. The -100's have addditional requirements. Do you already have a SWM setup?

You should be to have them do DECA with everything you need for the $99+$49. Many customers have been able to get the $49 (service call fee) waived.

If you already have SWM and can't get the $49 fee waived, you may be able to purchase the equipment for less, but would still be unsupported. Otherwise, it almost certainly cheaper for them to install DECA.
DogLover

My Setup

#8 OFFLINE   iowaberg

iowaberg

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:57 AM

Is the HR20 a -100 or -700. The -100's have addditional requirements. Do you already have a SWM setup?

You should be to have them do DECA with everything you need for the $99+$49. Many customers have been able to get the $49 (service call fee) waived.

If you already have SWM and can't get the $49 fee waived, you may be able to purchase the equipment for less, but would still be unsupported. Otherwise, it almost certainly cheaper for them to install DECA.

It is an HR20-700. I have no idea if I have a SWM. How do I check? I wouldn't mind just paying the $49 service call if I don't have to upgrade any equipment. This would be a cheaper and more reliable route than trying to go wireless, correct?

#9 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:12 AM

It is an HR20-700. I have no idea if I have a SWM. How do I check? I wouldn't mind just paying the $49 service call if I don't have to upgrade any equipment. This would be a cheaper and more reliable route than trying to go wireless, correct?

Yes, more reliable. Some have gotten wireless to work reliably, but there are so many variables, I wouldn't recommend going that way. Don't know about costs, but DECA may well be cheaper.

Best way to tell if you have SWM: Does your HR20 have 1 coax satellite line coming in, or two? If one, it's a SWM system (assuming you can access both tuners). If two, it's non-SWM.
DogLover

My Setup

#10 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:21 AM

I have no idea if I have a SWM. How do I check? I wouldn't mind just paying the $49 service call if I don't have to upgrade any equipment. This would be a cheaper and more reliable route than trying to go wireless, correct?

Easy way to know if you have SWM.. press - (DASH) while watching live TV. If it says SWiM Connected, you are.

Don't know what you can negotiate paying (or upgrading), but DECA is definitely more reliable than wireless (and supported).

#11 OFFLINE   iowaberg

iowaberg

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:07 PM

Ok. I do know both the HR20-700 and HR23 have two coax coming in. So what would it cost me to install SWM with these two receivers?

#12 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:14 PM

Ok. I do know both the HR20-700 and HR23 have two coax coming in. So what would it cost me to install SWM with these two receivers?

If you go through direcTV, that is included in the $99+$49. Definitly cheaper than doing it yourself. Since SWM is a requirement for DECA, they are including it in the installation.
DogLover

My Setup

#13 OFFLINE   iowaberg

iowaberg

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:39 PM

Sorry...one more question...how would I go about checking to see if my router is set up to accept both N + G? This is the router I have.

http://www.amazon.co...k/dp/B001CEYYFK

Protected By... spam firewall...And...