Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

CSR's now saying "Staying on Ethernet is Illegal"

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mrmiami

Mrmiami

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:52 AM

I had planned to go the DECA way anyway when I was prepared to spend the additional money for an all new componets system so I called to investigate the possible cost's but said for now, I was going to stay with the current "Unsupported" Ethernet setup I already had. I just think it would be a wiser choice to go with a setup that D* backs as opposed to staying in a channel that is not supported in any way by D* but what I was told is That is/was not an option. Now I am not naive about the fact that this whole MRV thing is yet another grab/hook for additional money grabbing with the swapping out of boxes,charges for adapters and hookup fees so I took what my CSR (Chris) was telling me with a grain of salt knowing full well his job is really to sell not just flip switches and change account information. However, when he was explaining how and why D* was viewing staying on Ethernet only setup was considered illegle he certainly raised some very valid points about why it was allowed in Beta form and why they want to go in DECA form direction. I wont go into all the details that were explained in GREAT detail to me over the phone (conversation took over an hour) but it raised concern for me in terms of others that are staying pat with ethernet only and perhaps not aware of D* view on this and the implications for them down the line.

No, I'm not saying the D* Police are going to show up at your door to take you and all your "illegal" equipment away in fact, I actually chuckled out loud to Chris when he used that term because I'm pretty sure if I pressed him to show me this documentation of Illegality in writing that it would never come to fruition but is did solidify my decision to go with the DECA if standing pat meant I'd eventually be left in the dark as far as MRV was concered and I'd be doing this anyway down the road.

In short, during the Beta testing using ethernet only setups it really was taxing and eating up D* service and servers and staying on that type of network is leaching off of D* service and sucking it dry. I don't know all the fine details on this and hopefully someone here in the know can better explain this viewpoint from DirecTV's perspective but if that is their opinion now I would fully expect them to eliminate that method at somepoint down the line.

I'd appreciate any input from anyone that has the credentials to dispute this claim or at the very least explain why some are being allowed to stay with the Leaching method as opposed to the Legal D* perferred method, BTW those are both (leaching/legal)their terminology not mine.

Please don't just come in here writing I been fed hook,line and sinker and been fed the bait, I suspect that in part that is true but remember, I already knew I was going DECA way before the call. I'm just trying to find out what the long term implications will be and why they seem to be throwing all the Beta testers a changeup now (if any truth to this mindset) and why were not being forewarned about this strongly?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tooloud10

tooloud10

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:57 AM

I was told a very similar story late last night. With no prompting from me, the supervisor told me that she knew what they were saying on "Facebook and DBStalk" but that they weren't allowing Ethernet setups and that I'd have to upgrade to the "swim" (god I hate that they call it that for some reason). She claimed that there were performance problems with the Ethernet setups.

What really pisses me off is that I begged them to install an SWM system six or eight months ago to avoid cutting up my 100-year-old house and they absolutely refused, and now they won't activate features for me unless it's done.

I'm not sure how they're managing to do so, but D* customer service is getting worse.

#3 OFFLINE   njblackberry

njblackberry

Icon

• Registered
  • 653 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:59 AM

Follow this thread -> http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=177590 on how to get your home Ethernet MRV authorized in DirecTV's system.

Good luck.

#4 OFFLINE   Mrmiami

Mrmiami

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:04 AM

I feel your pain on the cutting up of your home, that is what bothered me the most about the changeover because I have so many wire buried in my walls and moved B-blockers behind walls just because they ugly in truth, stick out and gobble up shelf space. They are going to need more than a 4 hour window probably just to get started with my new install. Worst of all I'm right in the middle of painting my whole interior and laying rug thoughout my whole house and I really didn't have time allotted to spend the whole day with them!!!

#5 OFFLINE   Mrmiami

Mrmiami

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:06 AM

njblackberry, thanks, yep tried all that and their not doing it anymore,,,,,,that is the "new" Illegal way. I did my homework and knew all the details about how to get it done, I was only calling to check on what it was going to cost me further down the line but when I was told email or call to stay put is/was not an option well I just had to find out what this CSR's reasoning was.

#6 OFFLINE   BudShark

BudShark

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:08 AM

Its not illegal, its unsupported. The stories you hear from the CSRs are CSR Wives Tales. There has been no mass swarm of DVRs eating DirecTVs servers... there have been no Connected Boxes becoming a self-aware entity and doing DoS on DirecTV... its all good.

Long term, Ethernet has a role and a place in DirecTVs direction, just as DECA does. :)

#7 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:10 AM

Mrmiami, you've been fed way too much drama with not enough facts. I don't care how long Chris and you talked. I can watch a TV news channel for an hour and not get any real information.

Somewhere the concept of "unsupported" became "illegal". I love the concept that a home Ethernet setup uses more of DirecTV's resources. Exactly how is this the case? Does DirecTV store big vats of Internet that get drained down, and it flows more quickly through CAT-5 than it does RG-6? It almost sounds like that to me. Humm. I better go to the store and stock up on more Internet.

Yes, a home Ethernet setup can use more of DirecTV's resources if they have to roll trucks to fix yours or my wiring. That's why "supported" means SWiM and DECA. They can control the situation. But I don't think DirecTV is making Ethernet electrons outlaws. They are welcome in my house, at least.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#8 OFFLINE   njblackberry

njblackberry

Icon

• Registered
  • 653 posts

njblackberry, thanks, yep tried all that and their not doing it anymore,,,,,,that is the "new" Illegal way.

You tried sending them the e-mail and it was rejected?

#9 OFFLINE   BudShark

BudShark

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,187 posts

njblackberry, thanks, yep tried all that and their not doing it anymore,,,,,,that is the "new" Illegal way.

Do you have an email response or how did they contact you to state it is illegal? Its a bit odd for them to say its illegal, AFTER, they created a process to intentionally allow it... ;) Just saying.

#10 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:11 AM

I just Upgraded to SWM/DECA yesterday and everything is working fine!!!

I guess I don't have to worry now about the Directv Police coming to my house to arrest me!!! :lol:
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#11 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:12 AM

In short, during the Beta testing using ethernet only setups it really was taxing and eating up D* service and servers and staying on that type of network is leaching off of D* service and sucking it dry. I don't know all the fine details on this

bet the person who told you this could not explain how it was leeching off directv also.
traffic from box a does not go to directv server then back to box b....and a full deca setup includes an ethernet connection to vod anyway...
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#12 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,306 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:12 AM

"In short, during the Beta testing using ethernet only setups it really was taxing and eating up D* service and servers and staying on that type of network is leaching off of D* service and sucking it dry. I don't know all the fine details on this and hopefully someone here in the know can better explain this viewpoint from DirecTV's perspective but if that is their opinion now I would fully expect them to eliminate that method at somepoint down the line."

This part is total bunk. MRV does not go to any sort of DirecTV server, other than the DVR where the program was recorded to. Now, DirecTV on Demand does use their servers. But it still uses Ethernet, even in a DECA environment. We've been using Ethernet for on Demand for a while now. It also cannot cause problems with their servers, unless their servers can't handle the traffic. If that's the case, that's their problem, and not one that DECA can fix.

#13 OFFLINE   Mrmiami

Mrmiami

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:14 AM

Mrmiami, you've been fed way too much drama with not enough facts. I don't care how long Chris and you talked. I can watch a TV news channel for an hour and not get any real information.

Somewhere the concept of "unsupported" became "illegal". I love the concept that a home Ethernet setup uses more of DirecTV's resources. Exactly how is this the case? Does DirecTV store big vats of Internet that get drained down, and it flows more quickly through CAT-5 than it does RG-6? It almost sounds like that to me. Humm. I better go to the store and stock up on more Internet.

Yes, a home Ethernet setup can use more of DirecTV's resources if they have to roll trucks to fix yours or my wiring. That's why "supported" means SWiM and DECA. They can control the situation. But I don't think DirecTV is making Ethernet electrons outlaws. They are welcome in my house, at least.

Yea ok, that's helpful,,,,,,these are exactly the post I said don't bother with BUD, I am trying to get to the truth on this change of view and the exact answer about the "How" it effects thier system but thanks for your sarcasm.

#14 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:16 AM

My sarcasm wasn't directed at you but at DirecTV, Mrmiami.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#15 OFFLINE   Mrmiami

Mrmiami

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:17 AM

bet the person who told you this could not explain how it was leeching off directv also.
traffic from box a does not go to directv server then back to box b....and a full deca setup includes an ethernet connection to vod anyway...

Umm, actually he did so you'd be losing that bet.

#16 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:19 AM

Umm, actually he did so you'd be losing that bet.

then he was lying. he has no idea what he is talking about and was trying to convince you he did.

edit: I also am not directing any sarcasm to you, the misinformation handed to you disgusts me.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#17 OFFLINE   Mrmiami

Mrmiami

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:20 AM

My sarcasm wasn't directed at you but at DirecTV, Mrmiami.

That's actually pretty funny there Carl :>) but in truth, you can actually run out of INT space- it's called a crash.

#18 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,107 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:23 AM

The DECA dongle takes the coax network ("DECA Cloud") and bridges to the Ethernet port of the HR20/21/22/23. So in effect, both scenarios are Ethernet port connected, just one uses the DirecTV cabling for the home network, and the IP address is the same when used with home network DHCP.

There has been much discussion on this topic, with presentation of advantages to the DECA configuration (support, performance, ...), along with the obvious reasons why DECA is the standard, because it utilizes the existing coax cabling, but not aware of any difference affecting anything outside the home.

It's just an IP transport mechanism within the home. An easy one.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#19 OFFLINE   njblackberry

njblackberry

Icon

• Registered
  • 653 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:24 AM

Mrmiami - did you send an e-mail and get a response from DirecTV?

#20 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:24 AM

yes, external to the house there is no difference between deca and ethernet.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...