Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

CSR's now saying "Staying on Ethernet is Illegal"

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:49 AM

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I remember many nights messing around with my rabbit ears antenna to try and improve the picture of Monty Python's Flying Circus.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   pappy97

pappy97

Icon

• No PM's
  • 611 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:12 AM

I did NOT have to switch packages (I still have PLUS HD DVR bundled and MRV is working after the beta shutoff) and I did NOT have my commitment extended.

Wow, another person who has the legacy PLUS HD DVR package and they have MRV on. So how did you do it?

Others are saying they had to have a CSR change them to a current package, turn on MRV, then switch back to legacy and then they could turn MRV on.

Is that how it worked for you? If not, how did it work for you? I am wanting to turn MRV on without changing anything to programming package (which is also PLUS HD DVR).
My setup (TV + DirecTV):
Master Bedroom: LG 32" 120hz LCD TV, GENIE Client
Living room: Samsung 46" 120hz LED LCD TV 7000 series, GENIE Master
Dedicated HT: Epson 8700UB projector with 150" 16:9 painted on screen and 180" 2.4:1 painted on screen, HD-DVR (HR22), Denon AVR-890, Klipsch Icon Front Speakers, Center Speaker, and Klipsch Icon Floorstanders for side and rear speakers (6 total floorstanders), subwoofer is BIC America V-1220 12" down-firing sub

#43 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:29 AM

You know what's totally crazy about the CSR's argument that the Ethernet taxes DirecTV's resources for MRV? It isn't even their system!

Recently I was explaining MRV to a buddy who was at my house. He looked puzzled. "So DirecTV needs for you to hook up to cable for their system to work?" Yes, I replied slowly, sensing the trap I was falling into. You could hook up to a DSL phone line, I added, but most of us use a cable modem. My buddy nodded. In case I was thick, he said, "So you have to do business with the competition to make DirecTV's MRV system work." Yes. I had to admit it does sound crazy stupid.

We accept this as part of the deal. To an outsider, it sounds contradictory. But unless you are using On Demand, DirecTV's use of Internet bandwidth outside your house is tiny. MRV simply cannot stress their system in any way. As my buddy pointed out, it isn't even their system.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#44 OFFLINE   miles

miles

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:35 AM

I called D* on May 19th and asked to continue the MRV with ethernet after the beta trial. The CSR said OK and that I would not have to do anything further.
I thought that was too easy so I called the next day on May 20th, the day the beta was supposed to end and the CSR told me I would have to get a SWM and DECA upgrade. I told him to just go to the accounts attributes and make sure the MRV option is set to unsupported then initiate the Home service for my account. He did what I told him and I now have MRV without the beta and received a confirmation email on the new service.

#45 OFFLINE   HofstraJet

HofstraJet

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts
  • LocationCoral Springs, FL

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:36 AM

Uh.....only a government or an agency authorized by the government can create laws and make things illegal. Last time I checked, DirecTV was neither. :nono2:

#46 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:37 AM

You know what's totally crazy about the CSR's argument that the Ethernet taxes DirecTV's resources for MRV? It isn't even their system!

Recently I was explaining MRV to a buddy who was at my house. He looked puzzled. "So DirecTV needs for you to hook up to cable for their system to work?" Yes, I replied slowly, sensing the trap I was falling into. You could hook up to a DSL phone line, I added, but most of us use a cable modem. My buddy nodded. In case I was thick, he said, "So you have to do business with the competition to make DirecTV's MRV system work." Yes. I had to admit it does sound crazy stupid.

We accept this as part of the deal. To an outsider, it sounds contradictory. But unless you are using On Demand, DirecTV's use of Internet bandwidth outside your house is tiny. MRV simply cannot stress their system in any way. As my buddy pointed out, it isn't even their system.

This is simply not true .. you don't actually NEED to connect to any router, switch or other non-DIRECTV device to get MRV to work. MRV works just fine in a self-contained environment.

Now, if you are talking about VOD, TV Apps, etc. OK, yeah, you do need to connect to the competition (really the Internet) for that.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#47 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:42 AM

And outside of a few rougue HR20-100's that have problems, MRV will work without any internet connection at all. So there is no way, in that case, that anything could "leach" resources from DirecTV.
DogLover

My Setup

#48 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:05 AM

And outside of a few rougue HR20-100's that have problems, MRV will work without any internet connection at all. So there is no way, in that case, that anything could "leach" resources from DirecTV.

This is simply not true .. you don't actually NEED to connect to any router, switch or other non-DIRECTV device to get MRV to work. MRV works just fine in a self-contained environment.

Now, if you are talking about VOD, TV Apps, etc. OK, yeah, you do need to connect to the competition (really the Internet) for that.

I should have been clearer. My buddy and I were talking about doing MRV before SWiM and DECA were a nationwide reality. It had to be hooked up to a whole house Ethernet solution. In this case, we were talking about piggy-backing MRV on a system I had up and running years before I ever tried adding MRV. I guess I'm parochial in that I view my whole house wired Ethernet distribution as part of a cable Internet system. It's been that way for years (I had a wired Ethernet distribution system well before I added a wireless capability). Call me stuck in the mud. To get MRV Beta to work, I had to hook up into that system.

Yes, of course MRV could be set up in a cabin in the wilderness, with no cable, phone or other connection outside of electricity, and that could even be provided by a generator, using SWiM and DECA. It is a closed system. But since we were talking about Ethernet systems, I didn't consider that.

And as both Doug and DogLover point out, and as I well know given the very flaky nature of my cable service (I lose the Interent 2-3 times a year for most of a day or night), you don't need an active Internet connection for MRV to work.

#49 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:18 AM

I should have been clearer. My buddy and I were talking about doing MRV before SWiM and DECA were a nationwide reality. It had to be hooked up to a whole house Ethernet solution. In this case, we were talking about piggy-backing MRV on a system I had up and running years before I ever tried adding MRV. I guess I'm parochial in that I view my whole house wired Ethernet distribution as part of a cable Internet system. It's been that way for years (I had a wired Ethernet distribution system well before I added a wireless capability). Call me stuck in the mud. To get MRV Beta to work, I had to hook up into that system.

Yes, of course MRV could be set up in a cabin in the wilderness, with no cable, phone or other connection outside of electricity, and that could even be provided by a generator, using SWiM and DECA. It is a closed system. But since we were talking about Ethernet systems, I didn't consider that.

And as both Doug and DogLover point out, and as I well know given the very flaky nature of my cable service (I lose the Interent 2-3 times a year for most of a day or night), you don't need an active Internet connection for MRV to work.

MRV can be setup with Ethernet in a closed system too. There is no reason you could not connect all your receivers to a switch and NOT connect the switch to the Internet.
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#50 OFFLINE   paragon

paragon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:25 AM

Wow, another person who has the legacy PLUS HD DVR package and they have MRV on. So how did you do it?

Others are saying they had to have a CSR change them to a current package, turn on MRV, then switch back to legacy and then they could turn MRV on.

Is that how it worked for you? If not, how did it work for you? I am wanting to turn MRV on without changing anything to programming package (which is also PLUS HD DVR).

I didn't do anything special. I just called up and ordered a DECA upgrade and after the upgrade was done (I assume after the tech closed the work order), MRV was added to my account.

I even double checked my account history and there were no package switching shenanigans.

Here's the only stuff on my Recent History from May (the credit is them refunding my installation fee due to promising me an HR24 upgrade and then not delivering it). It also shows that I am still on PLUS HD HDVR.

05/14/2010 XXXXXXXXXXXX DIRECTV Whole-Home DVR Service - Charge $0.90 $0.05
05/14/2010 XXXXXXXXXXXX PLUS HD DVR - Customer Retention ($49.00) ($2.94)

#51 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:26 AM

MRV can be setup with Ethernet in a closed system too. There is no reason you could not connect all your receivers to a switch and NOT connect the switch to the Internet.

I think there were even a few folks that set up a second Gigabit router just for DIRECTV receivers. So even Ethernet could be isolated to just the receivers if one so chose.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#52 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:47 AM

^ All good to know now that the Ethernet has been made illegal.

"Psst...buddy...Check it out. I have an illegal Ethernet setup for watching movies in the kitchen. Wanna try? First one's free."

#53 OFFLINE   mdriskell

mdriskell

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:58 AM

there have been no Connected Boxes becoming a self-aware entity and doing DoS on DirecTV... its all good.

Then how do you explain all of the Skynet programming I'm now getting. :hurah:
My Setup
Main DVR HR21-100
Wired Connection
HDMI to Toshiba Regza 47in LCD

Bedroom DVR HR22-700
Wired Connection
Component cables to Westinghouse 27in LCD

#54 OFFLINE   mdriskell

mdriskell

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:00 AM

I have a question....On a well setup Ethernet network how does MRV run compared to the DECA setup? Is there any performance boost on doing DECA (smoother trickplay, fast forward, rewind, etc).

I'm running a 100 meg network and the only MRV issues I have ever had have been with Trickplay
My Setup
Main DVR HR21-100
Wired Connection

Bedroom DVR HR22-700
Wired Connection

#55 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:02 AM

Uh.....only a government or an agency authorized by the government can create laws and make things illegal. Last time I checked, DirecTV was neither. :nono2:

^ All good to know now that the Ethernet has been made illegal.

"Psst...buddy...Check it out. I have an illegal Ethernet setup for watching movies in the kitchen. Wanna try? First one's free."

While I am not doubting those were the words that the CSR used...

- I am possitive the CSR didn't mean the in the Civil, go to jail usage of the phrase.

- How many times have we used, or seen the phrase "Illegal" when meaning in violation of the rules... example: That was an illegal move, in reference to moving a game piece in chess.

- Ethernet setups, as has been covered a great number of times here in the forums, is NOT a supported method for MRV by DIRECTV.

The phrase that it taxes DIRECTV resources, isn't completely incorrect.
When someone sets it up via ethernet, it causes a support issue... it causes (has caused) taxing the CSR resources, to turn it on.

If at a later time, that customer is having a problem... and did setup via ethernet... calls, and then oh-yeah, ethernet isn't supported I am on my own. That call just cost DIRECTV money, that CSR time from helping someone else, and so on... And what if slips all the way through to a truck role, and that tech gets there.

DIRECTV wants all users to use DECA for their MRV.

Plain and simple, that is the case. There are numerous reasons as to why (and no it isn't about the $$$ aspect of the parts, because in more cases then not the $149 isn't covering the costs).

Ethernet has been allowed an "unsupported" based on feedback during the trials and other resources.

Those of you that want to setup via Ethernet... please, see Doug's posts on how to go about doing it...
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.

#56 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:08 AM

I have a question....On a well setup Ethernet network how does MRV run compared to the DECA setup? Is there any performance boost on doing DECA (smoother trickplay, fast forward, rewind, etc).

I'm running a 100 meg network and the only MRV issues I have ever had have been with Trickplay

I have a "well" setup ethernet setup here.
Gigabit core switch in the basement, all Cat-5e runs to all rooms. Matching gigabit switches where necessary.

All of my equipment was hooked up for a long time via hard-wire ethernet.

MRV worked fine, good in most cases.

When DECA came available, I migrated to DECA completely... and I am very happy with that choice.

Why? When MRVing, at times which could consist of more then one stream as I do have 6 DVRs in the house.. I could see a slow down in my personal usage of my home network (mostly when trying to do online gaming, through the same root switch that my DVR and XBOX shared).

After going to DECA, I just don't see those problems anymore.
All my DVR's see one another, MRV is nearly perfect when ever I need to use it. No impact to my home usage of my network. I woudl say that I saw an improvement in Trickplay, but then again, there were software updates that may have also improved it.

I can use DOD, I can use DIRECTV2PC.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.

#57 OFFLINE   mdriskell

mdriskell

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:12 AM

Thanks Earl,
May go the DECA route later on down the line but I only have two networked DVRs and they work fine on my network...Only notice Trickplay issues on HD feeds SD are fine (to be expected)...Trickplay has gotten noticeably smoother over the BETA period.
My Setup
Main DVR HR21-100
Wired Connection

Bedroom DVR HR22-700
Wired Connection

#58 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:25 AM

I don't really have an issue with the DECA equipment fee and while I have some issues with the install fee I really can't argue with $150 considering the number of DECA units I would need. It would easilly cost well more that that to buy them myself at Solid Signal.

The aspect I am adamantly opposed to is that they insist on sending someone to do the install. I'm done taking days off work waiting for DirecTV installers who don't show up for appointments and who don't know what they are doing when they finally decide to show up. I will cancel my service before I do that again.

Since MRV works with Ethernet I'll use it that way instead of spending a fortune buying my own DECA equipment just to be unsupported anyways.
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#59 OFFLINE   employee3

employee3

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:52 PM

If you outlaw Ethernet, only outlaws will have Ethernet.
C'mon people, it's just TV.

#60 OFFLINE   cnmurray8

cnmurray8

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:29 PM

I have a "well" setup ethernet setup here.
Gigabit core switch in the basement, all Cat-5e runs to all rooms. Matching gigabit switches where necessary.

All of my equipment was hooked up for a long time via hard-wire ethernet.

MRV worked fine, good in most cases.

When DECA came available, I migrated to DECA completely... and I am very happy with that choice.

Why? When MRVing, at times which could consist of more then one stream as I do have 6 DVRs in the house.. I could see a slow down in my personal usage of my home network (mostly when trying to do online gaming, through the same root switch that my DVR and XBOX shared).

After going to DECA, I just don't see those problems anymore.
All my DVR's see one another, MRV is nearly perfect when ever I need to use it. No impact to my home usage of my network. I woudl say that I saw an improvement in Trickplay, but then again, there were software updates that may have also improved it.

I can use DOD, I can use DIRECTV2PC.

Thanks Earl- if you use Playon will DECA make that stream better to the TV?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...