Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

CSR's now saying "Staying on Ethernet is Illegal"

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:26 AM

MRV can be setup with Ethernet in a closed system too. There is no reason you could not connect all your receivers to a switch and NOT connect the switch to the Internet.

I think there were even a few folks that set up a second Gigabit router just for DIRECTV receivers. So even Ethernet could be isolated to just the receivers if one so chose.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:47 AM

^ All good to know now that the Ethernet has been made illegal.

"Psst...buddy...Check it out. I have an illegal Ethernet setup for watching movies in the kitchen. Wanna try? First one's free."
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#53 OFFLINE   mdriskell

mdriskell

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:58 AM

there have been no Connected Boxes becoming a self-aware entity and doing DoS on DirecTV... its all good.

Then how do you explain all of the Skynet programming I'm now getting. :hurah:
My Setup
Main DVR HR21-100
Wired Connection
HDMI to Toshiba Regza 47in LCD

Bedroom DVR HR22-700
Wired Connection
Component cables to Westinghouse 27in LCD

#54 OFFLINE   mdriskell

mdriskell

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:00 AM

I have a question....On a well setup Ethernet network how does MRV run compared to the DECA setup? Is there any performance boost on doing DECA (smoother trickplay, fast forward, rewind, etc).

I'm running a 100 meg network and the only MRV issues I have ever had have been with Trickplay
My Setup
Main DVR HR21-100
Wired Connection

Bedroom DVR HR22-700
Wired Connection

#55 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:02 AM

Uh.....only a government or an agency authorized by the government can create laws and make things illegal. Last time I checked, DirecTV was neither. :nono2:

^ All good to know now that the Ethernet has been made illegal.

"Psst...buddy...Check it out. I have an illegal Ethernet setup for watching movies in the kitchen. Wanna try? First one's free."

While I am not doubting those were the words that the CSR used...

- I am possitive the CSR didn't mean the in the Civil, go to jail usage of the phrase.

- How many times have we used, or seen the phrase "Illegal" when meaning in violation of the rules... example: That was an illegal move, in reference to moving a game piece in chess.

- Ethernet setups, as has been covered a great number of times here in the forums, is NOT a supported method for MRV by DIRECTV.

The phrase that it taxes DIRECTV resources, isn't completely incorrect.
When someone sets it up via ethernet, it causes a support issue... it causes (has caused) taxing the CSR resources, to turn it on.

If at a later time, that customer is having a problem... and did setup via ethernet... calls, and then oh-yeah, ethernet isn't supported I am on my own. That call just cost DIRECTV money, that CSR time from helping someone else, and so on... And what if slips all the way through to a truck role, and that tech gets there.

DIRECTV wants all users to use DECA for their MRV.

Plain and simple, that is the case. There are numerous reasons as to why (and no it isn't about the $$$ aspect of the parts, because in more cases then not the $149 isn't covering the costs).

Ethernet has been allowed an "unsupported" based on feedback during the trials and other resources.

Those of you that want to setup via Ethernet... please, see Doug's posts on how to go about doing it...
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#56 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:08 AM

I have a question....On a well setup Ethernet network how does MRV run compared to the DECA setup? Is there any performance boost on doing DECA (smoother trickplay, fast forward, rewind, etc).

I'm running a 100 meg network and the only MRV issues I have ever had have been with Trickplay

I have a "well" setup ethernet setup here.
Gigabit core switch in the basement, all Cat-5e runs to all rooms. Matching gigabit switches where necessary.

All of my equipment was hooked up for a long time via hard-wire ethernet.

MRV worked fine, good in most cases.

When DECA came available, I migrated to DECA completely... and I am very happy with that choice.

Why? When MRVing, at times which could consist of more then one stream as I do have 6 DVRs in the house.. I could see a slow down in my personal usage of my home network (mostly when trying to do online gaming, through the same root switch that my DVR and XBOX shared).

After going to DECA, I just don't see those problems anymore.
All my DVR's see one another, MRV is nearly perfect when ever I need to use it. No impact to my home usage of my network. I woudl say that I saw an improvement in Trickplay, but then again, there were software updates that may have also improved it.

I can use DOD, I can use DIRECTV2PC.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#57 OFFLINE   mdriskell

mdriskell

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:12 AM

Thanks Earl,
May go the DECA route later on down the line but I only have two networked DVRs and they work fine on my network...Only notice Trickplay issues on HD feeds SD are fine (to be expected)...Trickplay has gotten noticeably smoother over the BETA period.
My Setup
Main DVR HR21-100
Wired Connection

Bedroom DVR HR22-700
Wired Connection

#58 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:25 AM

I don't really have an issue with the DECA equipment fee and while I have some issues with the install fee I really can't argue with $150 considering the number of DECA units I would need. It would easilly cost well more that that to buy them myself at Solid Signal.

The aspect I am adamantly opposed to is that they insist on sending someone to do the install. I'm done taking days off work waiting for DirecTV installers who don't show up for appointments and who don't know what they are doing when they finally decide to show up. I will cancel my service before I do that again.

Since MRV works with Ethernet I'll use it that way instead of spending a fortune buying my own DECA equipment just to be unsupported anyways.
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#59 OFFLINE   employee3

employee3

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:52 PM

If you outlaw Ethernet, only outlaws will have Ethernet.
C'mon people, it's just TV.

#60 OFFLINE   cnmurray8

cnmurray8

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:29 PM

I have a "well" setup ethernet setup here.
Gigabit core switch in the basement, all Cat-5e runs to all rooms. Matching gigabit switches where necessary.

All of my equipment was hooked up for a long time via hard-wire ethernet.

MRV worked fine, good in most cases.

When DECA came available, I migrated to DECA completely... and I am very happy with that choice.

Why? When MRVing, at times which could consist of more then one stream as I do have 6 DVRs in the house.. I could see a slow down in my personal usage of my home network (mostly when trying to do online gaming, through the same root switch that my DVR and XBOX shared).

After going to DECA, I just don't see those problems anymore.
All my DVR's see one another, MRV is nearly perfect when ever I need to use it. No impact to my home usage of my network. I woudl say that I saw an improvement in Trickplay, but then again, there were software updates that may have also improved it.

I can use DOD, I can use DIRECTV2PC.

Thanks Earl- if you use Playon will DECA make that stream better to the TV?

#61 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,486 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:43 PM

Earl, do you think we will ever get a Selectable Unified Playlist???

For awhile we had the ability to Select which DVRs would Populate the Playlist and Directv took that away from us.

Is it possible that Directv will ever get that functionality back again.

For instance, if I have 6 DVRs and 2 of those are for my children and I don't want to see all of their kid shows showing up in my UPL I could Deselect them and then I wouldn't have to page thru their recordings as well as mine.

Hopefully they will bring it back to make MRV even more User Friendly!!!
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#62 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:13 PM

You would probably see no difference either way.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#63 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:14 PM

Earl, do you think we will ever get a Selectable Unified Playlist???

For awhile we had the ability to Select which DVRs would Populate the Playlist and Directv took that away from us.

Is it possible that Directv will ever get that functionality back again.

For instance, if I have 6 DVRs and 2 of those are for my children and I don't want to see all of their kid shows showing up in my UPL I could Deselect them and then I wouldn't have to page thru their recordings as well as mine.

Hopefully they will bring it back to make MRV even more User Friendly!!!

Sadly... at this time, I can't comment on what the team may or may not add... sorry.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#64 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 630 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:56 PM

I use playon with my DECA system and it's pretty much the same. I think most of the delay with playon is caused by my PC contacting the site, not my DVR receiving the signal from the PC.

For what it's worth, I'm really happy with DECA. If it wasn't for this site my install would not have been complete becaus ethe tech wasn't aware he could use a regular deac unit to connect to my router.

#65 OFFLINE   Mrmiami

Mrmiami

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:25 PM

While I am not doubting those were the words that the CSR used...

- I am possitive the CSR didn't mean the in the Civil, go to jail usage of the phrase.

- How many times have we used, or seen the phrase "Illegal" when meaning in violation of the rules... example: That was an illegal move, in reference to moving a game piece in chess.

- Ethernet setups, as has been covered a great number of times here in the forums, is NOT a supported method for MRV by DIRECTV.

When someone sets it up via ethernet, it causes a support issue... it causes (has caused) taxing the CSR resources, to turn it on.

If at a later time, that customer is having a problem... and did setup via ethernet... calls, and then oh-yeah, ethernet isn't supported I am on my own. That call just cost DIRECTV money, that CSR time from helping someone else, and so on... And what if slips all the way through to a truck role, and that tech gets there.

Plain and simple, that is the case. There are numerous reasons as to why (and no it isn't about the $$$ aspect of the parts, because in more cases then not the $149 isn't covering the costs).

Ethernet has been allowed an "unsupported" based on feedback during the trials and other resources.

Those of you that want to setup via Ethernet... please, see Doug's posts on how to go about doing it...

Well Thank you very much Earl for the best response so far and bringing at least some levity back to the topic. Yes, I'm sure beyond a doubt that was what Chris (CSR) meant as in just a bad move (not in accordance with DTV's policy). He will probably get schooled the next time he tries the "Illegal" tag to make the sell to someone who want's to spend the effort to get him turned around. I guess in part I'm partly to blame but I just couldn't stop laughing everytime he said that and wanted to get to the bottom of that mindset (if it were the group as a whole or just a poor choice of words by an individual) it wasn't hard to ascertain it was the latter but I was already trucking on to the total cost for the whole setup. Indirectly though his comment afterwards made me think "had or is DirecTV changed their mind about allowing both methods for MRV"? That is why I started this post to see if anyone else was hearing this and had knowledge of this so called now "Illegal" method POV. Some of the comments in here had me in stitches and now you know why I couldn't help laughing at his tag because some of those thoughts were going through my mind at that time. BTW, I do have my MRV back now through the email approach and if I don't have at least 2 out of 3 requested(asked for but not guaranteed) 24-500 receivers for my install of SWM with DECA on Monday I'll probably cancel for now. I do plan to get it at some point but maybe not just yet. I just don't feel comfortable staying with an unsupported (not Illegal) method. The call was good though it told me the CSR's were as unprepared for this changeover as us Beta testers were and they still have some more classes to attend.

#66 OFFLINE   hookemfins

hookemfins

Godfather

• Registered
  • 451 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:30 PM

I was speaking with two misinformed CSR agents in West Virginia (Kim and her supervisor Tracy) where they claim that the only beta testing was done in California. No one else can use their own equipment.

Part of me wants to just tell DTV to shove it, and go get Uverse ( I will never go to crapcom). I've seen Uverse in action and not impressed and I'd be paying more after the initial period.

HR-44-700 (3) C41-500 HR 24-100 GenieGo

#67 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,521 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:22 PM

Recently I was explaining MRV to a buddy who was at my house. He looked puzzled. "So DirecTV needs for you to hook up to cable for their system to work?" Yes, I replied slowly, sensing the trap I was falling into. You could hook up to a DSL phone line, I added, but most of us use a cable modem. My buddy nodded. In case I was thick, he said, "So you have to do business with the competition to make DirecTV's MRV system work." Yes. I had to admit it does sound crazy stupid. ...

Unless I'm missing something here, I'm not sure why you told your buddy this, meaning that MRV works better with a cable modem than with DSL for internet service? :confused:

#68 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,521 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:32 PM

I was speaking with two misinformed CSR agents in West Virginia (Kim and her supervisor Tracy) where they claim that the only beta testing was done in California. No one else can use their own equipment.

Part of me wants to just tell DTV to shove it, and go get Uverse ( I will never go to crapcom). I've seen Uverse in action and not impressed and I'd be paying more after the initial period.

Good grief ...

The litany of misinformed absurdities like this and many others dished out by DirecTV CSRs and even a lot of their supervisors about MRV ever since it officially went national is really depressing. :nono2:

I wonder why it is such a sin these days to simply keep your mouth closed sometimes and admit you don't know something instead of making matters worse by pretending that you do. :rolleyes:

#69 OFFLINE   MadMac

MadMac

Legend

• Registered
  • 251 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:30 PM

I think there were even a few folks that set up a second Gigabit router just for DIRECTV receivers. So even Ethernet could be isolated to just the receivers if one so chose.

That's just the road I'm considering. Does it need to be a router or would a switch work just as well?

#70 OFFLINE   V'ger

V'ger

Icon

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:36 PM

Mrmiami, you've been fed way too much drama with not enough facts. I don't care how long Chris and you talked. I can watch a TV news channel for an hour and not get any real information.

Somewhere the concept of "unsupported" became "illegal". I love the concept that a home Ethernet setup uses more of DirecTV's resources. Exactly how is this the case? Does DirecTV store big vats of Internet that get drained down, and it flows more quickly through CAT-5 than it does RG-6? It almost sounds like that to me. Humm. I better go to the store and stock up on more Internet.

Yes, a home Ethernet setup can use more of DirecTV's resources if they have to roll trucks to fix yours or my wiring. That's why "supported" means SWiM and DECA. They can control the situation. But I don't think DirecTV is making Ethernet electrons outlaws. They are welcome in my house, at least.

It possibly could be interpreted as illegal if the ethernet connection could be monitored and content decoded to get digital copies. Over RG6, there won't (for now) be devices to monitor and record traffic available to the average person.

#71 OFFLINE   adamson

adamson

Godfather

• Registered
  • 534 posts
  • LocationDunnellon, Florida

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:35 PM

We are not children and fully understand the "no support" aspect of ethernet MRV. Furthermore we pay a lot of money for the service we receive. Also your company loses money every day by those who want everything for free and by csr's who are not trained properly. For us ethernet enabled MRV customers and those who want it that way, have every right to call and get it. For it to be called illegal is beyond belief, yet we were to beta test it via our network. I refused to take a credit on my bill for my disgust in how this whole matter has been handled and you Earl write something like this. Your reply as quoted is hot off my printer and Im far from done here. I paid for what I have in my home and have no reason to hand over more money and waste Direct's resources by moving to DECA. If Directv forces DECA and I know for a fact its likely not, yes I would move to it. It just would be a case of waste and bad business.

#72 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:42 PM

While I'm sure Earl would like to get in a debate with you .. I'm pretty sure that's not something that's going to happen ..

If you want to offer up your dissatisfaction with what DIRECTV has chosen, then feel free to do so, but let's not direct the comments directly @ Earl.

Thanks guys.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.

#73 OFFLINE   adamson

adamson

Godfather

• Registered
  • 534 posts
  • LocationDunnellon, Florida

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:51 PM

I want no debate, my comments are directed to customers like me and many. Im actually a bit stunned over comments made. And Im not wrong for anything I said.

#74 OFFLINE   dhhaines

dhhaines

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:22 PM

<snip>
The aspect I am adamantly opposed to is that they insist on sending someone to do the install. I'm done taking days off work waiting for DirecTV installers who don't show up for appointments and who don't know what they are doing when they finally decide to show up. I will cancel my service before I do that again.

Since MRV works with Ethernet I'll use it that way instead of spending a fortune buying my own DECA equipment just to be unsupported anyways.

I feel the same way about any installer. I'd rather spend more money buying and installing myself then to wait around in a four hour window(that they come 2 hours after). My time is worth more than that.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I read a report that said the typical symptoms of stress were eating too much, drinking too much, impulse buying, and driving too fast. Who are they kidding? That's my idea of a perfect day.

Directv 3/1998-9/2011
now with Verizon FIOS and loving the faster DVR and being able to use both the external & internal drives at the same time

#75 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:48 PM

Unless I'm missing something here, I'm not sure why you told your buddy this, meaning that MRV works better with a cable modem than with DSL for internet service? :confused:

You're reading too much into this. Most of us have cable modems rather than phone DSL connections for general Internet use because the are faster and cheaper (at least around here that's the case). This has nothing to do with MRV.

Edited by Carl Spock, 21 May 2010 - 09:57 PM.

hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

Protected By... spam firewall...And...