Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

CSR's now saying "Staying on Ethernet is Illegal"

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   xmetalx

xmetalx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:06 PM

Which is why I switched to DD-WRT firmware. Linksys made great (if somewhat tacky-looking) hardware, but were horrible at supporting the firmware. Their N-router wouldn't work with their N-adapter. :(

Yeah, a little off topic, but DD-WRT rocks on my linksys WRT54g. basically turns a $50 router into a $300 professional Cisco router, with the ability to set custom rules, watch and monitor live traffic on the network, and too many other features to name! :)
DirecTV employee since 2008
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

There's no place like ~/

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 ONLINE   viperlmw

viperlmw

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:26 PM

We are not children and fully understand the "no support" aspect of ethernet MRV. Furthermore we pay a lot of money for the service we receive. Also your company loses money every day by those who want everything for free and by csr's who are not trained properly. For us ethernet enabled MRV customers and those who want it that way, have every right to call and get it. For it to be called illegal is beyond belief, yet we were to beta test it via our network. I refused to take a credit on my bill for my disgust in how this whole matter has been handled and you Earl write something like this. Your reply as quoted is hot off my printer and Im far from done here. I paid for what I have in my home and have no reason to hand over more money and waste Direct's resources by moving to DECA. If Directv forces DECA and I know for a fact its likely not, yes I would move to it. It just would be a case of waste and bad business.

"We" may not be children, but many are, such as the "those who want everything for free" crowd you reference. However, I'm sure "everything for free" is a little dramatic, and DTV makes business decisions regarding this that they believe makes them MORE money overall, due to cust retention, good will, additional sales (for example, about 8 months ago, I talked my way into an H-23, and with all the credits, I ended up at + $30, yet now I am paying for MRV), etc.

As for the 'right' to have MRVoE, I don't understand this attitude. Every place of business I walk into has a sign "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone". And if DTV decides that MRVoE is more hassle than it's worth (there are many home networks out there that would provide a less than ideal MRV experience) as far as support, then they may remove it as a product, and would have every 'right' to do so (I sure hope not, as MRVoE is what I'm doing, and am completely satisfied). As for the 'illegal' remark, I doubt that's truly what was meant. I remember my mother-in-law couldn't get over Windows98 always telling her that her computer has performed an 'illegal operation'. She would always ask (sarcastically) if the computer police were coming.

And dude, Earl is just trying to help. I, for one appreciate that. Don't be hammering him.

#83 OFFLINE   marksman

marksman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 349 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:13 PM

When I get a CSR who is clueless (more times than not), I ask to speak to their supervisor. If the supervisor is clueless, then I say good bye and call back again. I would NEVER spend one hour on the phone with a clueless CSR. I estimate you have a 1 in 3 chance of getting a knowledgable CSR.

Yeah it took me quite a number of reps to get through before I got one to handle it.

In one case the rep was so far off the track I just hung up.

What I don't understand is who set up the ethernet network for the OP with six devices in the original post? That is the person who should have been calling DirecTV about this issue. No offense OP, but given what you have said here, I find it hard to believe you were the one who set up your own home network supporting all of these devices.

#84 OFFLINE   marksman

marksman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 349 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:17 PM

MRV can be setup with Ethernet in a closed system too. There is no reason you could not connect all your receivers to a switch and NOT connect the switch to the Internet.

I have all my receivers on a wireless N network that is its own network. I could easily detach it from my core router and it would be disconnected from the internet.

After reading these threads though, I am more and more sympathetic to what D* did here. I always thought it would be a little insane to try and support home networking via traditional means.

#85 OFFLINE   sorahl

sorahl

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 854 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:59 PM

has anyone had their MRV Turned on as a result of the email being sent?

John
DirecTV HR21-100
DirecTV HR20-700 x2
DirecTV Tivo (Hughes SD40) 35 hrs (disconnected)
DirecTV Tivo (DirecTV R10) 70 hrs
DirecTV Tivo (Samsung SIR40) 35 hrs (disconnected)
XM SkyFi (disco'd) XM SkyFi2, BoomBox, PCR, Honda Unit, RoadyXT

#86 OFFLINE   jpitlick

jpitlick

Icon

• Registered
  • 580 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:00 PM

John

Yes, but I had to change my program package to a current one. The difference was $1.

HR20-700 attached via HDMI to an Onkyo TX-SR605S connected via HDMI to a Sony KDF-42WE655 42" Grand Vega Rear Projection LCD
H21-100 attached via HDMI to Sceptre X246W-1080P 24" LCD and attached via S-Video to Windows 7 PC w/Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600
HR22-100 attached via HDMI to a ProScan 32LB30Q 32" LCD
SWM-8/STS-4
SlimLine Dish w/SL5 LNB
All receviers connected to gigabit switches and 25/25 Mbps FiOS

#87 OFFLINE   sorahl

sorahl

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 854 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:15 PM

i figured i would have to so i also changed my package (sigh my bill went up $8).. but i'm stilll waiting for MRV to be activated...
DirecTV HR21-100
DirecTV HR20-700 x2

#88 OFFLINE   gpsjunkie

gpsjunkie

• Registered
  • 11 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 24 May 2010 - 02:00 PM

One call to Direct and about 10 minutes of my time and my ethernet MRV was turned on. Had to change my package, up by $1.

#89 OFFLINE   nn8l

nn8l

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 02:16 PM

John

Yes, but I also had to change my package. I sent the original email about 8:30am, heard from them in the early pm, changed my package a few hours later, and 3 hours or so after that I had MRV going.

#90 OFFLINE   murry27409

murry27409

Godfather

• Registered
  • 325 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 02:23 PM

John

I changed my package a couple of days b4 i sent the MRV email. When I did, I rec'd a response in ~10 hrs stating that MRV had been enabled.
HR20-100
HR22-100

#91 OFFLINE   sorahl

sorahl

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 854 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 02:43 PM

would it be untoward to send a second email request? I sent mine sometime on friday..

John
DirecTV HR21-100
DirecTV HR20-700 x2

#92 OFFLINE   xmetalx

xmetalx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:13 PM

would it be untoward to send a second email request? I sent mine sometime on friday..

Not at all. if they don't get back to you in 24hrs or less, (or even 12 hours, I'm impatient..) I'd email again.

You could always call in and ask if they've been fully trained on adding MRV service... or offer to 'assist' with instructions on adding it :)
DirecTV employee since 2008
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

There's no place like ~/

#93 OFFLINE   sorahl

sorahl

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 854 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 06:37 AM

I think... i didn't hit the second submit button last week... :)

it happens

within 1 hr of the second email being sent I got a responce and it was enabled
the wife unit will be pleased..

strange, no mention of illegality.. :)
DirecTV HR21-100
DirecTV HR20-700 x2

#94 OFFLINE   dervari

dervari

Icon

• Registered
  • 777 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:54 PM

I got lucky. I went to Tech Support after the Tier I call taker absolutely refused. He got it enabled for me AND left me on my legacy package!
Richard
Sr Network Engineer

Protected By... spam firewall...And...