Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DECA w/ 2 mutually exclusive runs of coax cable to two other rooms

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   flexoffset

flexoffset

Godfather

• Registered
  • 337 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:06 AM

*** BACK STORY ***
==================
I have attached a PDF for reference.

I currently have:
July 2007 Initial Installation
5 LNB Slimline
HR20-100 (w/ 2 BBC blocks) - family room
H20-100 (w/ 1 BBC block) - master bedroom
I have a gigabit / wireless N home network but I want to standardize the D* stuff so I'll spend the money on the DECA and all that.

In the near future I will add two more HD DVR receivers to my two kids' rooms.

I would like to upgrade to the SWIM and DECA configurations and will upgrade the H20 to an HR24.

I'm still getting my mind around the DECA network. Does DECA transfer packets across the coaxial RG6 cable to other connected DVRs? If it's across coax, I may have a problem.

Problem is my homebuilder connected all the coax cable in series which originate from a main splitter outside.
We had signal strength problems since day one so they finally dropped new cable.
I also have a third cable tv coax to the family room where the modem and router (Motorola Cable Moden / Linksys WRT610N) are housed.
In my pre D* days, Comcast (2003) finally just ran a dedicated line to the den and added a switch to the master bedoom. That way my internet was strong and the splitter didn't harm the signal too bad.

In 2007, my D* installer ran his own (new) cable to the den and master bedroom so I would have a strong signal to the D* receivers.

*** QUESTIONS ***
==================
1. If I buy the $99 changeover package will they also run cable to the kids rooms taking into consideration I will absolutely buy two more DVR's at some point in the next year or two?

2. Will this package allow me to move away from the BBC and re-wire to SWM? (I will upgrade the HR20 is that is the limiting factor).

3. I want DECA to be able to work in all the bedrooms once I get the additional HD DVRs in there. Considering the current CABLE portion of the coaxial configuration of my house, will they rewire my cable it all happen? Will he go ahead and run cable to "empty" rooms?

I think those are all my questions.
Thanks in advance.

Attached Files

• Attached File  DECA.pdf   133.99KB   88 downloads

D* | 2ea HR24-500

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:14 AM

1. If I buy the $99 changeover package will they also run cable to the kids rooms taking into consideration I will absolutely buy two more DVR's at some point in the next year or two?

2. Will this package allow me to move away from the BBC and re-wire to SWM? (I will upgrade the HR20 is that is the limiting factor).

3. I want DECA to be able to work in all the bedrooms once I get the additional HD DVRs in there. Considering the current CABLE portion of the coaxial configuration of my house, will they rewire my cable it all happen?

I think those are all my questions.
Thanks in advance.

1. No (you may be able to pay to have them prewired)
2. Yes, 'Whole Home' requires SWM... they will have to do whatever it takes to make SWM work. The BBCs will be removed.
3. When (if) they install additional DVRs, they will have to provide the wiring to make them work. All SWM-attached HD receivers/DVRs can participate in DECA (except the H20).

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

#3 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:17 AM

Looking at your diagram, You somehow need to make a connection from the DTV wiring to your existing wiring. SWM and DECA wil reduce the DTV wiring to 1 single wire per receiver. The DECA can use HF splitters, so the daisy chaining is not a problem. The biggest problem is to find a common point to connect the DTV string to the existing cable TV string.

My guess it would be best to run another external wire from a splitter at the DTV dish to the splitter for the cable TV. You would then need to replace all existing splitters with the high bandwidth splitters required for SWM.

Bob

#4 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:35 AM

While not optimal, you may be OK with your current wiring setup ..

The MBR & FR already have 2 cables each for DVRs .. This will go down to one cable. If the CableTV coax in the bedroom is very close to the Sat Coax, you may be able to simply connect the second SatTV Coax into the CableTV Coax infrastructure in the MBR.

You will need a green-label 2-way in the closer kids room, the outputs will then go to each of the kids rooms. The input comes from the link to the MBR.

So basically, there will be a 4-way connected to the SWiM-LNB outside. you can use the second coax in the FR to power the Sat Dish .. AND .. you can use the output of the power insert to go into the broadband DECA (for SWiM) and have a second power inserter for the DECA. This assumes you have a network port that in the FR that the DECA can use for connectivity.

Bottom line, I think the only extra equipment you'll need is a 2-way splitter and some short coax links in some places to have your whole house wired using the existing coax.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   flexoffset

flexoffset

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 337 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:55 AM

Many thanks to all of you for taking time to help.
Now I just need to polish my presentation and get it ratified by the Home Entertainment Resources and Technology Enhancement Pet Project Approval Committee (the Mrs.).

D* | 2ea HR24-500

Protected By... spam firewall...And...