Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Upgrade questions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cbensinger

cbensinger

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:28 AM

Okay, I was under a rock and didn't realize the MRV stuff was going down until about midnight last night when I went to use it.

Now I'm sure probably all of this has been covered; but there are so many threads I could probably spent the next week going through them.

So I came here first and read several threads and such and to me the $3/month is well worth the benefit I see from it so I decided to call today. I was under the impression (from the threads I read) that I was probably looking at $49 to install and $99 for equipment. Obviously I'd like to not pay anymore than I have to; but I figured I'd bite the bullet and go ahead. So I called and the woman I spoke with ended up giving me a figure of approximately $260 and a new 24 month commitment, and that's with some fee "waived" (I thought she said installation, but I was having trouble hearing her). I questioned her on that number and she stuck by it.

Now before I get to my questions I thought maybe I should list my existing receivers in case that's relevant to this:

HR20-700
HR20-700
R15-500
H21-200
HR21-100
HR22-100

This is currently setup on a "Multi-Switch" (not sure what kind, if it matters I can go look), with a "Slimline-5" dish.

Okay now my questions:

1) She made reference to needing to swap out two receivers - I assumed that only the R15-500 would need to be swapped. Is that correct?

2) When I originally asked about the MRV, she also asked if I wanted the "Internet Connection Kit"? Currently my receivers are on my home network. If I go with the Multi-Room DVR using the DECA, do I need this "Internet Connection Kit"? And what does it bring to the table?

3) And again based upon the above equipment list, if we were to get rid of the R15 receiver (we don't really use it much), would we still need any receiver swap at all? And if not would we still be on the hook for another 24 months? I guess this really doesn't matter a lot; with the amount of equipment we have it's not like we'd be eager to move to Dish/Cable anyway; just kinda agitates me.

4) Based upon the above equipment list should I have been looking at the $49+$99 cost; or was she correct in her $260+ figure?

5) Assuming she's wrong, is it just a matter of calling back and hoping for a different CSR?

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:47 AM

...Now before I get to my questions I thought maybe I should list my existing receivers in case that's relevant to this:

HR20-700
HR20-700
R15-500
H21-200
HR21-100
HR22-100

This is currently setup on a "Multi-Switch" (not sure what kind, if it matters I can go look), with a "Slimline-5" dish.

Okay now my questions:

1) She made reference to needing to swap out two receivers - I assumed that only the R15-500 would need to be swapped. Is that correct?

2) When I originally asked about the MRV, she also asked if I wanted the "Internet Connection Kit"? Currently my receivers are on my home network. If I go with the Multi-Room DVR using the DECA, do I need this "Internet Connection Kit"? And what does it bring to the table?

3) And again based upon the above equipment list, if we were to get rid of the R15 receiver (we don't really use it much), would we still need any receiver swap at all? And if not would we still be on the hook for another 24 months? I guess this really doesn't matter a lot; with the amount of equipment we have it's not like we'd be eager to move to Dish/Cable anyway; just kinda agitates me.

4) Based upon the above equipment list should I have been looking at the $49+$99 cost; or was she correct in her $260+ figure?

5) Assuming she's wrong, is it just a matter of calling back and hoping for a different CSR?

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom...

1) Looks like only the r15 needs swapping, it should be swapped for another SD DVR (SWM capable) for the $49 + $99 price.

2)The Internet connection kit bridges the DECA network to your home network for internet access. You would need that for VOD, TV apps, etc. You probably want this, and it should be included in the price.

3) If you deactivate the r15, that should do away with the commitment. You may have to deactivate it before the order for their computer system to recognize this.

4) I think the $49+$99 is correct. Sounds like she is adding in an additional receiver (new or swap), which you don't need.

5)probably.
DogLover

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:51 AM

Call back. The most you should pay is $99 +$49 with commitment only if they swap receivers (which they have to do, especially the R15), and $3/month. This should include all necessary equipment replacement plus DECAs for each HD receiver plus the internet bridge, plus a SWiM-16 (you have more than 8 tuners... insist on it).

Yes, you want the 'with Internet' option (no additional cost, connects DECA cloud to internet so you keep function you have now).

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

#4 OFFLINE   cbensinger

cbensinger

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:22 PM

Just wanted to take a moment to say thanks for the replies. I just called back and asked about this and the CSR pulled up my account, told me I would need to swap out the R15 (which I knew) and that they'd waive the installation fee so it was only $99+tax. Have an appointment for Sunday.

Thanks again.

Chuck

spam firewall