Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

A 2010 compendium of D* DVR bugs

• Please log in to reply
194 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:36 AM

Rich, who is "the TS"?

I that's an abbreviation for "Thread Starter", AKA, YOU! ;)

~Alan

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#82 OFFLINE   JBernardK

JBernardK

Legend

• Registered
  • 174 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:44 AM

If you think I'm a fan, consider this: D* has models that end in 100. That denotes the manufacturer. I wouldn't have one in my home. I just sent two 21-700s back to D* for no reason other than they were so much slower than my 20-700s. In fact, the only HR that I will accept from D* is the 20-700. They have been offering me, at no cost, HRs for about a year and I haven't accepted their offer because I have enough 20-700s to cover replacements and back up all my recordings.

I'll admit to being a fan of the 20-700s, but not the rest of the HR lineup. I haven't tried a 24-500, so I can't comment on that.

Having said all that, I can't agree with the TS about all the complaints he has about the HRs, but I'm only using my 20-700s as a benchmark unit. If he has 20-700s that are doing all the things he's complaining about, he's got a problem with the feeds to those 20-700s. Mine are pretty trouble-free.

Rich

So are you saying that the actual manufacturer of the unit has a bearing on whether it works as advertised? How do you get to choose? I thought that D* does not let you choose which model--never mind manufacturer--that you will get?

#83 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,954 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:50 AM

Syzygy, thanks for your post. It is most helpful to those of us that are considering going to (or coming back to) Directv. It does not really matter if something is a bug or a design defect. If it is something that is important to an individual it can be used to help with a decision. There are people here that have been defending the HR's, for whatever reason, since they were first released. They can safely be ignored by those looking to make and informed decision.

My only problem with the list is that it contains a lot of issues that would be unrelated to the design/firmware. The OP makes no distinction and anyone reading it would assume these are common occurrences. They are not.

How can anyone make an informed decision if you’re telling them to ignore anyone who disagrees with the OP?

Because, that’s what you’ve done. Make no mistake about when you post a comment like that it tells the reader to avoid the supporters and only believe the naysayers. It’s unfair and completely false to assume that any contrary opinions are false. Do you really mean to call all the contrary postesr liars?

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#84 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:21 AM

Syzygy, thanks for your post. It is most helpful to those of us that are considering going to (or coming back to) Directv.

Anyone using that list as a factor in their decision making process is making a mistake.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#85 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:42 AM

Anyone using that list as a factor in their decision making process is making a mistake.

Ditto!

~Alan

#86 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,907 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:47 AM

My hope is that people will use that list as one person's opinion, not authoritative. Just as my opinion is not authoritative. We have a large number of users with different setups and I think the only way to really get a good picture of what's going on is to look at the experiences of a lot of people.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#87 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:52 AM

My hope is that people will use that list as one person's opinion, not authoritative. Just as my opinion is not authoritative. We have a large number of users with different setups and I think the only way to really get a good picture of what's going on is to look at the experiences of a lot of people.

"but I read it on the internet" so it must be true.

Anybody can "filter" what they want to promote their desired results.

• This is a POS and always has been
  • This is the best thing since sliced bread
Neither are true in my eyes.
YMMV
A.K.A VOS

#88 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:13 PM

Rich, who is "the TS"?

That would be you, the Thread Starter. When the forum changed from OP to TS I started calling the OP the TS. Look at your avatar, it says "Thread Starter". Seems appropriate. :)

Rich

#89 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 02:00 PM

Syzygy, thanks for your post. It is most helpful to those of us that are considering going to (or coming back to) Directv. It does not really matter if something is a bug or a design defect. If it is something that is important to an individual it can be used to help with a decision. There are people here that have been defending the HR's, for whatever reason, since they were first released. They can safely be ignored by those looking to make and informed decision.

Actually, anyone wanting to make an informed decision would ask.

1. How often does this bugs/design defects occur?
2. To how many did this issue occur?
3. How long ago was there any report of this issue?
4. For how many is the issue still occuring?
5. Are there causes for this issue (such as hardware) that may make it more or less likely for this issue to affect me?
6. Is there a work around for this issue that won't annoy me more than the issue itself?

To take this bug list and think that most of the bugs affect even a majority of users would be a mistake. I might even go so far as to say that most of the bugs affect a small number of customers. Of course those issues that are functioning as designed affect everyone. If you think it is a poor design, then you would have to consider that a design defect in your opinion.
DogLover

My Setup

#90 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,704 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:21 PM

Yes, by all means, listen to a guy who is an admitted Tivo evangelist who nitpicks the heck out of the DirecTV DVR. Always listen to the guy who has an admitted agenda. You can be sure that his information is unslanted and the only truth.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#91 OFFLINE   bird13

bird13

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 06:16 PM

Yes, by all means, listen to a guy who is an admitted Tivo evangelist who nitpicks the heck out of the DirecTV DVR. Always listen to the guy who has an admitted agenda. You can be sure that his information is unslanted and the only truth.

Since I'm new here, I must be missing something. So apparently the 'TS' prefers the old Tivo unit, thus, he's not to be believed and this is actually some sort of conspiracy? :lol:

I don't understand what the point to that ('agenda') would be, or what it could possibly accomplish; I simply see his compendium as a tool I might utilize as a reference for something that may occur with one of my HR's. And if it was one mentioned on that list would very much put my mind at ease, while saving me a phone call to DTV. :shrug:

#92 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,256 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 06:19 PM

Here is why there is a big difference.. And you are wrong... You don't see me calling tivos lack of one touch record a design deficiency.. Its just a horrible design decision IMO. However, anything like this is a design defciency according to the TS...

The HR20 had HUGE issues when it was first release years ago.. They are now for the most part, gone... In fact, my folks have not had one issue with their HRs (including one hr21-700 and 3 hr20-700) in more than 2 years (I do ce's, so I have hardly used NR's over th last couple years, so I won't even count my experience)

And I have noted plenty of things I would like to see changed... SO telling people to ignore me because I don't agree with his list and the way its stated and put together is a major insult to me personally, and many others around here that are extremely helpful to others in fixing issues they have when we can... We disagree with parts of his list, not all, and our opinions should in no way count less than his, especially considering some of his complaints are in completely unrepeatable by many of us, cause I know I and several others have tried to repeat them.. Heck, even some others who have had major issues with some of the units aren't even buying into his list....

Its unfortunate that many people will be blinded and not see that some of his complaints are simply because it doesn't work like a tivo...

#93 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,256 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 06:19 PM

Actually, anyone wanting to make an informed decision would ask.

1. How often does this bugs/design defects occur?
2. To how many did this issue occur?
3. How long ago was there any report of this issue?
4. For how many is the issue still occuring?
5. Are there causes for this issue (such as hardware) that may make it more or less likely for this issue to affect me?
6. Is there a work around for this issue that won't annoy me more than the issue itself?

To take this bug list and think that most of the bugs affect even a majority of users would be a mistake. I might even go so far as to say that most of the bugs affect a small number of customers. Of course those issues that are functioning as designed affect everyone. If you think it is a poor design, then you would have to consider that a design defect in your opinion.

The problem is his post makes it sound like this is a reality for all people period... And those who say I don't see 90% of the issues are being told we are wrong.. How is that possible?

And as other have said, more than half the stuff is not an issue, its his opinion.

#94 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,954 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:06 PM

Since I'm new here, I must be missing something. So apparently the 'TS' prefers the old Tivo unit, thus, he's not to be believed and this is actually some sort of conspiracy? :lol:

I don't understand what the point to that ('agenda') would be, or what it could possibly accomplish; I simply see his compendium as a tool I might utilize as a reference for something that may occur with one of my HR's. And if it was one mentioned on that list would very much put my mind at ease, while saving me a phone call to DTV. :shrug:

What you are missing is context. You would have to go back to the DirecTV TiVo thread.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=174544

Not only that but the previous versions of the DirecTV TiVo thread.

The TS does have an agenda with his lists, and that is to show how much better it would be to have TiVo. Nothing more than that.

Being new here you should do a little searching through the threads for the last three years and investigate the TS’s claims before you begin naysaying those of us who disagree with him. You will find that many of those issues don’t exist. The TS even admits that some portion of those lists were from posts he read from others without regard to whether or not they are accurate or are no longer an issue...which is my major problem with those lists. They are a compilation of complaints. If one wanted to read the forums long enough, one could produce just as long a list for TiVo, or anything else for that matter.

What we have are people, who take those lists at face value, without actually verifying anything, and then turn around and complain about those who disagree with the TS. The fact is there is a lot wrong with those lists and if you do a little research you’ll see that it would be a very, very poor “tool [you] might utilize as a reference”, because there is so much wrong with it that you couldn’t make an informed decision.

Do not take my word for any of what I’ve just posted. AAMOF, I don’t want you to believe a word of it. Instead, do the research yourself; search the threads, search other forums, and then make up your mind. Then if you agree with the TS, at least you will have all the information to base your opinion on.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#95 OFFLINE   EyeRonik1

EyeRonik1

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:12 PM

It's funny watching all the fanboys react so violently to a list of facts. I have experienced many of these problems. Some are trivial, some have been fixed, but they show a lack of attention to detail and an incomplete understanding of their customers. Most are frustrating because a competent product marketing manager could just clean them up in a rev or two.

The design center of the DirecTV boxes are to allow people who watch live TV to record their favorite shows when they aren't around. The design center of Tivo's is to allow people to never need to watch live TV.

Tivo users expect more from their boxes. We expect a Lexus and are given a Toyota pickup truck. Yes, the pickup truck does a few things the Lexus doesn't, but it's not the same.

#96 OFFLINE   drpjr

drpjr

Icon

• Registered
  • 722 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:11 PM

Here's my latest list of pure bugs.

Is this list for 2010 only (thread title) or another more expanded time frame? It seems like a lot of issues for only five months.

I've compiled and verified this list (along with the other lists in the posts that follow) over the last 12 days. Just yesterday the rollout of 0x03DE started for some DVR models (HR21, HR22, HR23 and R22); this new release may fix some bugs (and may introduce some).

Could you please explain what criteria you used to verify your list. (Others posts, personal experience, reviews etc.)

Corrections are welcome. I've verified that any bugs that are reproducible still exist.

:confused: Are there any bugs that are reproducible that don't exist? I'm missing something here.

Some intermittent problems may have been fixed secretly.

I would like to try and verify on my own any of the currently reproducible bugs. Is there any way to identify that subset in your list? At this time I have no interest in the intermitant/secretly fixed items. I only have one model of HRxx. Would that hinder my ability to duplicate issues?
HR34/HR24-500/Mits WD73C8
HR20-100 HR24-500//Samsung UN55F6350AF
SWiM Network w/MRV
AT&T 2Wire Gateway Modem/Router

#97 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:11 PM

My last post in this thread.
The list is flawed, though has some true/valid points.
My guess is 1 out of 10 have validity, but since I haven't used every function or situation listed I'll say 2 out of 10 have validity.
This means 80% of the items are false, or are related to defective hardware or system.
Anybody posting anything along this line are told they are DirecTV Fans, by others who "have no agenda", but merely agreeing with "the truth", though this truth is based on 80% falsehoods.

This thread is and will continue to go nowhere, other than turning into personal attacks for what ever reasons.

"I get it", good by, as it moves to my ignore list :)
A.K.A VOS

#98 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:25 PM

I have experienced many of these problems. Some are trivial, some have been fixed...

If any of them have been fixed, they shouldn't have gotten onto my list. As I've said before in this thread, DirecTV's policy of omerta means that I have no way of knowing what's fixed short of my not being able to reproduce a supposedly repeatable problem.

So please tell us all what you think has been fixed.
Frank TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
HR24-100 > HDMI > Pio 5020FD plasma
HR24-100 > HDMI > Sony KV30HS420 tube

DirecTV & Dish HD Channel Spreadsheet
DirecTV & Dish HD Channels Listed by Package

#99 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:42 PM

Is this list for 2010 only (thread title) or another more expanded time frame? It seems like a lot of issues for only five months.

It's merely my current list; that is, not 2009's list.

Could you please explain what criteria you used to verify your list.

My experience and testing, and others' posts.

I would like to try and verify on my own any of the currently reproducible bugs. Is there any way to identify that subset in your list?

I'm working on that. I'm planning to dim (gray) the non-reproducible bugs.

I only have one model of HRxx. Would that hinder my ability to duplicate issues?

Yes, some models have unique problems, but I think they may all be intermittent, hence not easily reproducible. Others in this forum know exactly which models have which problems, but I don't. I'm not a "friend of DirecTV" like they are. Being a "FoD" means keeping quiet like D* does.

As noted in the original post, bugs related to response time are probably not present in the HR24.
Frank TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
HR24-100 > HDMI > Pio 5020FD plasma
HR24-100 > HDMI > Sony KV30HS420 tube

DirecTV & Dish HD Channel Spreadsheet
DirecTV & Dish HD Channels Listed by Package

#100 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:54 PM

Isn't the $40-$60 ECF at this point worth it not to have to deal with these issues?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...