Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Whole-Home DVR Install

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tim1970

tim1970

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:06 PM

Installer just left my house after installing. He told my wife that we will have to wait 24 hours before it will work so that software can download. He also told us to be sure and leave the DVR's and HD receiver "on" during this time and not in "Standby". Then he told us that he has no idea how the service works. We would have to contact DTV for that. Since I have little confidence in him, does this sound correct? Is there some way that I can force a software download? Can someone point me to a link that has instructions on using the service?

If it matters my setup includes 2 HD-DVRS (HR21) and 1 HD receiver that was just installed today.

Tim

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:07 PM

24 hour is probably guide population, over the day it downloads (from sat) the next 2 weeks of guide data.

as for not having an idea how the service works, that sounds odd.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#3 OFFLINE   tim1970

tim1970

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:09 PM

That's kinda what I figured. So If I am keeping the DVRS I already have, I shouldn't have to wait on this should I?

#4 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:10 PM

should not have to.
does mrv work for you?
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#5 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:15 PM

If it matters my setup includes 2 HD-DVRS (HR21) and 1 HD receiver that was just installed today.

Was the HD Receiver installed today an H24?

I assume you are not @ home yet, but the easy way to check is to do the following (If your Wife wants to check):

{Menu} > Parental, Fav's & Settings > System Setup > Multi-Room > Status

This will tell you whether or not you are authorized, and which systems are visible to you. The new HD Receiver should have 2 items on the list and each HR21 should have one item on the list.

If you're good on that screen you're most of the way there. The only other check would be for broadband access.

Also, I guess even easier would be to press {LIST} and see if you see more items in your playlist (or any items in the HD Receiver playlist)
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   tim1970

tim1970

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:23 PM

Was the HD Receiver installed today an H24?

I assume you are not @ home yet, but the easy way to check is to do the following (If your Wife wants to check):

{Menu} > Parental, Fav's & Settings > System Setup > Multi-Room > Status

Yes, I am still at work. I had my wife check the status and it said it was authorized but no networked DVR'S found

spam firewall