Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

A quick SWM/MRV question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mtm

mtm

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:35 PM

I am going to order MRV pretty quick and have 1 question. I currently have a Slimline 5 dish with 4 wires coming from the dish to a Zinwell switch. I have 3 DVR's, two of them have two tuners hooked up and 1 only has one (I only have 1 coax run to that room). When I get MRV installed and they add SWM to my system, I will only need 1 wire to each box to have two working tuners, correct? So my question is will my room that has a DVR but only 1 coax run to it now have two tuners after I get MRV/SWM installed? If the answer is yes, that's one more reason for me to get MRV installed, not that I needed another reason.

Also, none of my receivers (1 HR 20-700, and 2 HR-22s) are hooked up to my DSL, the router isn't by the TVs and I don't have cat 5 runs to each box. Is this going to be an issue with getting MRV installed? I don't need any of the receivers hooked up to the router do I?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,986 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:38 PM

yes
no
you'll be good.

The DSL will need a coax drop to it and a DECA to make the connection.

Most likely you'll get the SWiM LNB, then have a splitter where the WB68 is.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   mtm

mtm

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:47 PM

yes
no
you'll be good.

The DSL will need a coax drop to it and a DECA to make the connection.

Most likely you'll get the SWiM LNB, then have a splitter where the WB68 is.

The DSL will need a coax from one of the receivers? If not, will it not work?

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,986 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:03 PM

Not from a receiver but one off the splitter to provide bridging to your home network and internet for all the receivers. If you don't want/need this, then it works fine without the bridging.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,499 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:11 PM

If the boxes aren't connected to the Internet, you won't get all the DirecTV on Demand features, PPV ordering through remote (unless there's a phone line) etc. But if your boxes aren't connected to the Internet now, you won't lose anything. MRV itself does not need a net connection at all.

#6 OFFLINE   mtm

mtm

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:11 PM

Not from a receiver but one off the splitter to provide bridging to your home network and internet for all the receivers. If you don't want/need this, then it works fine without the bridging.

Gotcha, thanks for the reply.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...