Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Best time to ask for discount

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lenjack

lenjack

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:33 PM

I have two H20-100's and a D10-300, with Premier and HD Access, totalling $134.99 plus tax. I've been a customer since1996. I plan to ask for a reduction because my bill is rather high, and in comparison with Dish packages, which all my neighbors have. Even though I don't plan to drop DTV or switch, I feel that under the circumstances, they would give me a reduction.

Any ideas on what the best time of the month, or best day of the week, and best time of day to make this call? Thanks in advance.
Any satellite problem can be fixed with a big enough hammer!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   drpjr

drpjr

Icon

• Registered
  • 722 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:59 PM

I don't think there will ever be a "best' time time to make that call.:lol: D might give you a credit (free HD, HD pack or $5 a month etc.) but to lower your bill substantialy because your neighbors E bill is less I feel is a stretch. I don't think that circumstance will carry much weight. I know you stated you don't want to switch but if you feel the two services are equal except for the price why would you not switch? Bottom line: Make the call you might be pleasantly suprised. :)

Edited by drpjr, 23 May 2010 - 05:00 PM.
sp

HR34/HR24-500/Mits WD73C8
HR20-100 HR24-500//Samsung UN55F6350AF
SWiM Network w/MRV
AT&T 2Wire Gateway Modem/Router

#3 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:43 PM

There is only one time to ask for a deal, and that's when you are off commitment. Any other time is a terrible one. I'd also try near the end of a month. I have no idea if this means anything to DirecTV, but in general with sales, the best deals happen at the end of the month when folks need to make targets and quotas.

That said, I wish you luck. I think you'll need it. I don't understand why you deserve a break in price as opposed to every other subscriber. You might get a few months of something free or cheap. DirecTV also often seems agreeable to a free hardware upgrade at the time of negotiating a new commitment. But to get a continuing deal on service simply because (1) your neighbors are paying less with Dish and (2) you've been a customer since 1996 seems unrealistic. They'll want to keep you as a subscriber, but one who gives them good money every month.

Try telling your wife she should be more...ummm...forthcoming in the bedroom because the neighbors do it nightly, plus you've been married for 14 years. Go ahead. See where it gets you.

Edited by Carl Spock, 24 May 2010 - 07:08 AM.

hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#4 OFFLINE   lenjack

lenjack

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:56 PM

thanks,all.
Any satellite problem can be fixed with a big enough hammer!

#5 OFFLINE   Piratefan98

Piratefan98

Icon

• Registered
  • 685 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:43 AM

Also, if the first CSR doesn't give you what you want, just call back again later and speak to another one. Many people have successfully used the CSR-roulette technique to their advantage.

Jeff
If I can't ameliorate it, it ain't broke --- Mr. T

#6 OFFLINE   gfrang

gfrang

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 12:40 PM

If you do not like the deal they offer don't accept it because you won't get another deal if there are deals on the table.

Another words say they gave you 5 bucks off for 6 mounts. And you wake up in the morning hating your self thinking why did i accept this?

They won't be able do do anything until the 5 bucks deal is history.

spam firewall