Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR24 from Directv discounted for long time customer

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   slapshot1959

slapshot1959

Legend

• Registered
  • 194 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 03:21 PM

Just received a nice new HR24 from Directv I ordered the other day and got a nice discount on it as well ($99.00).

Contrary to what I've read here you can get a guaranteed HR24 from them, and at a decent price to boot.

This is my second one actually, as I ordered from Solid Signal as well, but at full price so I guess I averaged a halfway decent deal on two.

They told me as a loyal customer ('95) I'm entitled to one per year, discounted, and also an H24 for free if I so choose. (which I didn't)

:)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,859 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 03:34 PM

Just received a nice new HR24 from Directv I ordered the other day and got a nice discount on it as well ($99.00).

Contrary to what I've read here you can get a guaranteed HR24 from them, and at a decent price to boot.

This is my second one actually, as I ordered from Solid Signal as well, but at full price so I guess I averaged a halfway decent deal on two.

They told me as a loyal customer ('95) I'm entitled to one per year, discounted, and also an H24 for free if I so choose. (which I didn't)

DirecTV guaranteed you an HR24 and shipped it to you?

That's a new one. Enjoy. :)

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#3 OFFLINE   slapshot1959

slapshot1959

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 194 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 03:49 PM

DirecTV guaranteed you an HR24 and shipped it to you?

That's a new one. Enjoy. :)

Mike

Yup.

#4 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,434 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 21 May 2010 - 03:59 PM

It's possible that the CSR guaranteed it for you, even though they can't do that and then you happened to get one anyway.

The CSR might have guaranteed one to the next caller too, and they received something different (and are at this moment complaining somewhere on another forum).

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#5 OFFLINE   ronsanjim

ronsanjim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts
  • LocationCherokee Village, AR

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:10 PM

I also paid $99 for my HD DVR, but my current "status" is listed as "since 2006". When you call these CSR's, sometimes you get lucky.

#6 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:04 PM

It's possible that the CSR guaranteed it for you, even though they can't do that and then you happened to get one anyway.

The CSR might have guaranteed one to the next caller too, and they received something different (and are at this moment complaining somewhere on another forum).

That was my thought as well...

It would be nice if true... but I'm skeptical... :(

~Alan

#7 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,827 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:29 PM

Did you already have "Connected Home" activated on your account.

Maybe with that activated, HR24 ships by default.

#8 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:34 PM

When I was talking to a DirecTV CSR the other day, he said that when MRV is activated on your account, they either send you an HR24/H24, or send you a receiver with a DECA included.

Of course, this is a CSR we're talking about, so take it with a grain of salt...

~Alan

#9 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 856 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:00 PM

When I was talking to a DirecTV CSR the other day, he said that when MRV is activated on your account, they either send you an HR24/H24, or send you a receiver with a DECA included.

Of course, this is a CSR we're talking about, so take it with a grain of salt...

~Alan

I ordered a $99 DVR online the day after I had the whole home DVR installed & I got an HR21-100-R. I had already told the CSR I spoke with that I would refuse it if it weren't an HR24 so no biggie to send it back. I didn't open the box to verify if they included a DECA.

#10 OFFLINE   Griff

Griff

Legend

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:05 PM

Customer since July 1994. I called Wednesday to have MRV added to my account, and told them I wanted to use my existing ethernet network. Now it's important to note, I always talk nice to these folks no matter what I am really thinking. First CSR said it couldn't be done and besides my account didn't show I ever was in the beta program. I tried to explain that yes it can be done and how. I was escalated to tech support only to be told the same thing. I asked her if she would at least try the steps as I read them to her. She was willing, and MRV is now working using my existing network.

Feeling like I was on a roll, I tried to score a couple of HR24s, but was politely told to pound sand. I ordered two from Beach Audio, shipped next day with scheduled delivery on Monday.

So, being a longtime customer doesn't work in everyone's favor!

DVRs: One HR44-500 (4tb EURS external drive), one HR24-500, one HR24-200. DISPLAY: Mitsubishi DLP WD-82837 3D enabled; RECEIVER: Yamaha RX-A2000 NETWORK: Apple Airport Extreme, all hard-wired MISC: All HDMI connected; PS3; Panasonic BDP-350 BluRay/3D player; Two Sony BDP-CX7000ES BluRay 400-disc changers; Home-built 6-core HTPC; LG 2tb NAS w/BluRay burner; Pronto TSU9400 remote. Directv customer since July 1994.

#11 OFFLINE   mikemyers

mikemyers

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:31 PM

I ordered a $99 DVR online the day after I had the whole home DVR installed & I got an HR21-100-R. I had already told the CSR I spoke with that I would refuse it if it weren't an HR24 so no biggie to send it back. I didn't open the box to verify if they included a DECA.

Just curious - if you call in, to get an HR24, and the CSR says that you'll be getting one, and something else shows up - can anyone just send it back, with a note that they've made a mistake? If a technician shows up to install it, and it's not what you want, can you say "no thanks, that's not what I ordered"?

If not, what can you do?

#12 OFFLINE   stilen621

stilen621

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:54 PM

I also paid $99 for my HD DVR, but my current "status" is listed as "since 2006". When you call these CSR's, sometimes you get lucky.

You got "lucky" with a CSR ? I never have but sometimes they have nice voices :hurah:

#13 OFFLINE   slapshot1959

slapshot1959

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 194 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:55 PM

I do not have that activated on my account.

#14 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:49 PM

Just curious - if you call in, to get an HR24, and the CSR says that you'll be getting one, and something else shows up - can anyone just send it back, with a note that they've made a mistake? If a technician shows up to install it, and it's not what you want, can you say "no thanks, that's not what I ordered"?

If not, what can you do?

The retention CSR who placed my DECA order said they would replace my HR20 with a HR24. The day the installer came we had a freak April snowstorm and he could not get on the roof and I had to reschedule. He had the HR24 with him. I asked for the same technician for the reschedule three days later. They sent a different tech who did not have a HR24. He called the shop and told them I was promised one. He finished the install, ran back to the shop, and brought a HR24 back about 40 minutes later.

#15 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 12:46 AM

Just to be clear, DirecTV CSR's have absolutely no way at all to order you a certain model of a reciever. If the CSR told you were getting a HR24 he was either misinformed or most likely lying to get you off the phone (which is wrong). As luck would turn out you got a HR24 and that is great.

#16 OFFLINE   Richard L Bray

Richard L Bray

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:08 AM

It didn't for me.

#17 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 856 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:24 AM

If not, what can you do?

As far as I know, you can always refuse a shipment with no penalty. I'd seen someone else here mention refusing the shipped item if it wasn't an HR24 so I knew it was possible. However, before I ordered I called & spoke with a CSR for a good while about the situation. Both of us knew she could not specify nor guarantee what model would ship but both of us also thought the odds were good for an HR24 since I had just had the MRV service installed. I was upfront that I wanted an HR24 only & she noted my account that I would send anything else back & order online elsewhere. It didn't seem to be a big deal. When I got an HR21 from D* I called back to have them note my account that it was being returned. Now, of course, I have to see how long it takes for the refund to show up on my credit card.

#18 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:36 AM

If you want an HR24, and you want it from DIRECTV, your best bet is to have them include the installation. It seems that installers are almost completely switched over the HR24's now. That's no guarantee, but I think your chances will be greatly improved.

#19 OFFLINE   ronkuba

ronkuba

Legend

• Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:51 AM

If you want an HR24, and you want it from DIRECTV, your best bet is to have them include the installation. It seems that installers are almost completely switched over the HR24's now. That's no guarantee, but I think your chances will be greatly improved.

Milwaukee area tech told me he hasn't even seen one until he seen mine. Said the shop has a bunch of HR22 and HR23 in stock.
(2)HR34-700:D
Swim16 All networked via DECA
Samsung PN64D8000
Samsung 40" LCD TV
Directv since 1995

#20 OFFLINE   rsblaski

rsblaski

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:13 AM

Out here in the sticks, a local installer said that they do not have HR-24s but they do have H24s.
Of course, they didn't even get any DECA modules until last Wednesday.
Remember, when it comes to audio/video, more is always better. (This does NOT apply to remote controls!)

spam firewall