Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need Help- DIY Dish ?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sgibson

sgibson

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:41 AM

Need Help-got Errors found on both tuners on replacement H21/100 (Recond.) Also, "Dish Alignment Problem" on an exist. H22/100.

I have 1st. gen AT-9 "Sidecar" dish and found a broken connector on the jumper cable for Port 1. (put a temp RG-6 jumper on it and waterproofed the connections). Don't currently have D*'s Service plan-it says coverage and billing will begin 30 days after activation. I'd like to upgrade to the newer 4-wire Slimline AT-S (now have 4-cables into home). I wish to purchase one and do the change/install myself. Is this a DIY job (don't have any meters or aiming devices-other than a compass.) Prior to the AU-9 I used to realign dish myself. I found some new AT-S 4-wire dishes online for reasonable prices.
How should I proceed with this problem?

TIA for all advice,
sgibson

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:44 AM

The AU-9 uses the same mast as the AT-9, so the switch should be pretty straight forward, assuming the mast is plumb. No reason you can't align it yourself using the signal meter in a receiver.

#3 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,983 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 02:25 PM

There are instruction videos on Solidsignal.com. You will need a meter to get it really dialed in. For the charge of the service call, D* may give you a new dish. They seem to want to swap out the sidecar dishes.

You may want to get a mod to move this to the installer's forum. You will get a better answer there.

#4 ONLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,592 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 22 May 2010 - 02:32 PM

You'll find those videos and instructions here ....
http://www.solidsign...nna-types&mc=02
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#5 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 02:43 PM

Don't currently have D*'s Service plan-it says coverage and billing will begin 30 days after activation.

Simple solution: Call D* and tell them you need a realignment. They'll give you the option for a $49 service call (which still sounds better than a DIY new dish) or you can enable the Protection Plan without the 30 day wait.

Even if you opted for the $49 service call, the installer will give you the option of starting the Protection Plan instead. The installer will update everything that needs updating.

YMMV, but that's how it worked for me a couple of weeks ago.

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

#6 OFFLINE   sgibson

sgibson

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:57 AM

The AU-9 uses the same mast as the AT-9, so the switch should be pretty straight forward, assuming the mast is plumb. No reason you can't align it yourself using the signal meter in a receiver.

hilmar2k,
Thanks for your reply.

I did a ground mount pole for the AT9 a few years ago, and while I can handle the physical install, the peaking and dither fine tuning adjustments will, according to most, require a signal meter-which I don't own.

Regards,
sgibson

#7 OFFLINE   sgibson

sgibson

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:00 PM

There are instruction videos on Solidsignal.com. You will need a meter to get it really dialed in. For the charge of the service call, D* may give you a new dish. They seem to want to swap out the sidecar dishes.

You may want to get a mod to move this to the installer's forum. You will get a better answer there.

Herdfan,

thanks for the solidsignal tip. After watching the video and seeing the fine tuning required, will let D* do it.

sgibson

#8 OFFLINE   sgibson

sgibson

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:01 PM

You'll find those videos and instructions here ....
http://www.solidsign...nna-types&mc=02

good info, and I thank you!

#9 OFFLINE   sgibson

sgibson

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:05 PM

Simple solution: Call D* and tell them you need a realignment. They'll give you the option for a $49 service call (which still sounds better than a DIY new dish) or you can enable the Protection Plan without the 30 day wait.

Even if you opted for the $49 service call, the installer will give you the option of starting the Protection Plan instead. The installer will update everything that needs updating.

YMMV, but that's how it worked for me a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks!
After reviewing the tips and watching video, will follow your advice and let D* do it. I just signed up for the protection plan and was told to wait 31 days to request dish realignment. Was your dish replaced?

#10 OFFLINE   sgibson

sgibson

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 06:57 PM

Need Help-got Errors found on both tuners on replacement H21/100 (Recond.) Also, "Dish Alignment Problem" on an exist. H22/100.

I have 1st. gen AT-9 "Sidecar" dish and found a broken connector on the jumper cable for Port 1. (put a temp RG-6 jumper on it and waterproofed the connections). Don't currently have D*'s Service plan-it says coverage and billing will begin 30 days after activation. I'd like to upgrade to the newer 4-wire Slimline AT-S (now have 4-cables into home). I wish to purchase one and do the change/install myself. Is this a DIY job (don't have any meters or aiming devices-other than a compass.) Prior to the AU-9 I used to realign dish myself. I found some new AT-S 4-wire dishes online for reasonable prices.
How should I proceed with this problem?

TIA for all advice,
sgibson

Happy camper here. In spite of being less than 30 day wait, D* agreed to upgrade dish at n/c-since I've been a longtime loyal customer. Tech did a nice job, even replaced 8-compression connectors going the extra distance to ensure connections were neat and water-tight. I watched while the tech tuned dish aim with a "BirdDog" for max signal. The new SlimLine 3 aim is well above my chimmey (older AT9 side-car dish aimed just a bit below it.). Thanks for the advice and tips. Now back to enjoying Directv HDTV.

Attached Thumbnails

• Slimline 3_sml.jpg

Protected By... spam firewall...And...