Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Second Ethernet jack on HD DVR

l485

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   property33

property33

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 01:46 PM

We've got 2 HR22-100s and an HR21-700 hooked up on a wired network, BETA worked great. Activated with a CSR on day one of Whole Home, it's worked great since then too.

Does anyone know if the second ethernet jack on the three boxes will allow internet access to something hooked up to it? Say a laptop, desktop? If so, would this connection be 10/100 or gigabit? This would really save some time/effort in pulling wire...... I'm not in a position to try it right at this moment so I thought I'd ask.

Jim

Edited by property33, 22 May 2010 - 01:47 PM.
expand question

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,621 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 01:48 PM

We've got 2 HR22-100s and an HR21-700 hooked up on a wired network, BETA worked great. Activated with a CSR on day one of Whole Home, it's worked great since then too.

Does anyone know if the second ethernet jack on the three boxes will allow internet access to something hooked up to it? Say a laptop, desktop? This would really save some time/effort in pulling wire...... I'm not in a position to try it right at this moment so I thought I'd ask.

Jim

IF you can at all find a switch and not use the second port, please do it.
The second port steals CPU cycles and would only end up causing the DVR to get slower.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   property33

property33

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 01:52 PM

IF you can at all find a switch and not use the second port, please do it.
The second port steals CPU cycles and would only end up causing the DVR to get slower.

I think I'll do that. I do have an extra 4 port switch I'll just set up where this was going to be an issue. I should've thought of that....thanks.

#4 OFFLINE   daveriv

daveriv

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 02:14 PM

I think I'll do that. I do have an extra 4 port switch I'll just set up where this was going to be an issue. I should've thought of that....thanks.

OK I'm not a network guru. Are you all saying that if I isolate my recievers to a dedicated switch that performance could improve and those "disrupt" other devices accessing the internet other than VOD, TV Apps? I currently have one receiver into the router directly and 2 receivers into a switch with other devices that access the internet.

I don't have any issues with MRV other than the occassional blip. But if this might make it even more reliable, I might take the time to have a dedicated switch just for the receivers.
AT-9, WB6x8 multiswitch

(1) HR20-700, HDMI, Native on, Samsung HL-S6187W, Networked (wired), OTA via Stealthtenna
(1) R22-100, HDMI, Networked (wired), Native on, Samsung 32" LCD
(1) H21, HDMI, Networked (wired), LG 42" LCD
(1) R15-300
(1) Harmony 880 Remote
(1) PS3

#5 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,166 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 22 May 2010 - 02:16 PM

Putting all your DVRs / Receivers on the same switch would be very close in performance to the DECA network that's supported.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,621 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 02:17 PM

OK I'm not a network guru. Are you all saying that if I isolate my recievers to a dedicated switch that performance could improve and those "disrupt" other devices accessing the internet other than VOD, TV Apps? I currently have one receiver into the router directly and 2 receivers into a switch with other devices that access the internet.

I don't have any issues with MRV other than the occassional blip. But if this might make it even more reliable, I might take the time to have a dedicated switch just for the receivers.

I should be the last to give advice on networking, but your router or a switch are mostly the same thing.
Connecting all the receiver to a switch should keep the traffic between them to a minimum and give you the best performance.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   daveriv

daveriv

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 04:04 PM

I should be the last to give advice on networking, but your router or a switch are mostly the same thing.
Connecting all the receiver to a switch should keep the traffic between them to a minimum and give you the best performance.

Ok thanks. What I had suspected. Since my performance is really good now I'll stick with my current config and adjust if anything goes a bit haywire later.
AT-9, WB6x8 multiswitch

(1) HR20-700, HDMI, Native on, Samsung HL-S6187W, Networked (wired), OTA via Stealthtenna
(1) R22-100, HDMI, Networked (wired), Native on, Samsung 32" LCD
(1) H21, HDMI, Networked (wired), LG 42" LCD
(1) R15-300
(1) Harmony 880 Remote
(1) PS3

spam firewall