Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DECA setup newbie question

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mcsmolar

mcsmolar

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 02:54 PM

Guys came out today to setup DECA system. I currently have 3 HR20-700s. Is the band stop filter needed? When the guy plugged the cat5 cable from my switch (cable goes from router to switch to DECA) into the DECA I lost all networking and MVR. Any ideas as to why this would happen?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:04 PM

Guys came out today to setup DECA system. I currently have 3 HR20-700s. Is the band stop filter needed? When the guy plugged the cat5 cable from my switch (cable goes from router to switch to DECA) into the DECA I lost all networking and MVR. Any ideas as to why this would happen?

Bandstop being needed [or not] depends on the SWiM used.
You need to explain the ethernet setup a bit more.
with 3 HR20-700s, you need one DECA for each and another DECA for your switch/router.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:06 PM

Perhaps one of the HR20's is still connected to the network via ethernet? If there is a DECA adapter on each HR20, there should be only one connection to the home network, via a DECA.
Only guess I can come up with.

Band Stop needed if the SWM LNB isnt a "green dot" with internal band stop. Otherwise, no.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#4 OFFLINE   mcsmolar

mcsmolar

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:09 PM

I guess the problem is that they did not hook up a DECA to my router. How is that hooked up. Just run the coaxial from "outside" to a DECA to the router?

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:11 PM

I guess the problem is that they did not hook up a DECA to my router. How is that hooked up. Just run the coaxial from "outside" to a DECA to the router?

Basically and power the DECA with another 18 volt PI.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   mcsmolar

mcsmolar

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:26 PM

Also, they only hooked one of the 3 DECAs up to a PI. Do they all need one? All three have all lights lit up.

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:32 PM

Also, they only hooked one of the 3 DECAs up to a PI. Do they all need one? All three have all lights lit up.

as with your other thread/post :confused:
No receiver or DECA on a receiver needs a PI. The SWiM needs a PI, and if all three LEDs are green, then the DECAs are being powered by the receivers.
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   mcsmolar

mcsmolar

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:06 PM

[IMG]http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac308/slowchange/DSC01699.jpg[/IMG]
Does this SWM need the band stop filter?

#9 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:11 PM

Does this SWM need the band stop filter?

That looks more like a splitter (a type I haven't seen). Splitters never need BS filters.

What's the problem you're trying to solve? :confused:

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

#10 OFFLINE   MrLatte

MrLatte

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:14 PM

That looks like a SWS-8 splitter not a SWM8 box.

BTW, what if my SWM8 has the green sticker and I don't know it and use a filter on it anyway. Any issues using essentially 2 filters?

#11 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:18 PM

BTW, what if my SWM8 has the green sticker and I don't know it and use a filter on it anyway. Any issues using essentially 2 filters?

No.

#12 OFFLINE   mcsmolar

mcsmolar

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:24 PM

It says 8 way splitter SWM on it. Just trying to get my DECA setup working. Since they didn't hookup a fourth DECA to my router I unhooked one from one of my boxes and hooked it up to the SWM and then to my switch and when I did that i lost my sat. signal. Just trying to figure out the problem. :confused:

#13 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:28 PM

If you lost SAT signal to all receiver, you either pulled the cable coming from the dish, or one that was powering the SWM.
Where did you get the PI to power the DECA you used for the router bridge?
Whether or not you have a bandstop filter doesn't matter for this problem.
A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:33 PM

It says 8 way splitter SWM on it. Just trying to get my DECA setup working. Since they didn't hookup a fourth DECA to my router I unhooked one from one of my boxes and hooked it up to the SWM and then to my switch and when I did that i lost my sat. signal. Just trying to figure out the problem. :confused:

You paid for the install. It's supposed to work before the Tech leaves.

Call D*. Make them fix it. Arbitrarily disconnecting and connecting things you don't understand is a bad idea. :nono2:

The SWM is a switch (hence, Single Wire Multiswitch), in your case, probably located in the LNB at the dish. There will be a single coax coming from the dish which needs to be connected to a specific port on the splitter. The coax from the receiver with the Power Inserter needs to be connected to a specific port as well. All unused outputs on the splitter should have been terminated.

#15 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:35 PM

if they were all on already when he connected the "bridge" deca to your router, the IP's would be all screwed up..
should have connected it and rebooted every reciever..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#16 OFFLINE   mcsmolar

mcsmolar

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:36 PM

The guys hooking me up today were a little lost. They put a PI on one DECA switch on one tv which i don't think is needed so I took that PI and DECA and hooked it up to my switch. I didn't pull and coax from the SWM just plugged into an empty spot since I only have 3 tbs the SWM had 5 empty spots.

#17 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:43 PM

The guys hooking me up today were a little lost. They put a PI on one DECA switch on one tv which i don't think is needed so I took that PI and DECA and hooked it up to my switch. I didn't pull and coax from the SWM just plugged into an empty spot since I only have 3 tbs the SWM had 5 empty spots.

Put the #$%@! thing back! :bonk1:

That PI wasn't powering the DECA, it was powering the SWM. Yes, they attach to the same coax... DECA pigtail to receiver, coax between DECA and PI, coax from PI to the power passing port on the splitter.

A similar (could actually be identical) PI could be used to power the DECA to interface to your network, if you had one.

#18 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:55 PM

Put the #$%@! thing back! :bonk1:

That PI wasn't powering the DECA, it was powering the SWM. Yes, they attach to the same coax... DECA pigtail to receiver, coax between DECA and PI, coax from PI to the power passing port on the splitter.

A similar (could actually be identical) PI could be used to power the DECA to interface to your network, if you had one.

Don't be so mean, he got DECA SWM & a PI, so he didn't know.
A.K.A VOS

#19 OFFLINE   mcsmolar

mcsmolar

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:46 PM

Spoke to installer. Says that ethernet cables still need to be hooked up to each receiver. Told him that defeats the purpose of the DECAs. Said he would talk to his boss and call me tomorrow.

#20 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:52 PM

Spoke to installer. Says that ethernet cables still need to be hooked up to each receiver. Told him that defeats the purpose of the DECAs. Said he would talk to his boss and call me tomorrow.

Well, he's partly right... Ethernet cables from the DECAs need to be hooked up to each receiver. :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...