Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DECA setup newbie question

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   mcsmolar

mcsmolar

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 02:48 PM

I decided to just order a fourth DECA and power supply online and do it myself. I have plenty of cat5 and other then plugging that in to each DECA to receiver and putting the fourth DECA near the splitter and my switch I should be good to go.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 02:56 PM

I decided to just order a fourth DECA and power supply online and do it myself. I have plenty of cat5 and other then plugging that in to each DECA to receiver and putting the fourth DECA near the splitter and my switch I should be good to go.

If you're going to DIY (and you paid for D* to do it right, so I would discourage that), you can do it with the DECAs you have... hook one up like this:
http://www.dbstalk.c...468#post2459468

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

#43 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:05 PM

If you're going to DIY (and you paid for D* to do it right, so I would discourage that), you can do it with the DECAs you have... hook one up like this:

Absolutely not. Thats a half assed solution to the problem. :nono2: If he's going to do it, he should do it right.

That method is not supported, will put unwanted traffic on the DECA cloud and quite possibly cause performance issues.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#44 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:10 PM

Absolutely not. Thats a half assed solution to the problem. :nono2: If he's going to do it, he should do it right.

That method is not supported, will put unwanted traffic on the DECA cloud and quite possibly cause performance issues.

Oh, give us a break. If he installs his own DECA it's unsupoorted, this configuration does not put any additional traffic on the DECA cloud and does not cause performance problems. That's just FUD.

Now, I think he needs to rant at D* for this insanity, but if they're not going to do it properly and he's on his own, why should he invest needlessly in hardware?

#45 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:12 PM

Oh, give us a break. If he installs his own DECA it's unsupoorted, this configuration does not put any additional traffic on the DECA cloud and does not cause performance problems. That's just FUD.

Now, I think he needs to rant at D* for this insanity, but if they're not going to do it properly and he's on his own, why should he invest needlessly in hardware?

"Two cents":
Let's not "help" with unsupported setup suggestions.
Those that come here want to know the correct way for these things.
A.K.A VOS

#46 OFFLINE   mcsmolar

mcsmolar

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:14 PM

Tried this just to see if it works and it works perfectly.

#47 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:17 PM

Tried this just to see if it works and it works perfectly.

I'd call it a temp fix and make sure DirecTV comes back to do it correctly.
Letting this slide, will only be cause for the next install to be poor also.
You paid for it and should get what you paid for.
Maybe call after the weekend and you can get a first string CSR.
A.K.A VOS

#48 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:22 PM

"Two cents":
Let's not "help" with unsupported setup suggestions.
Those that come here want to know the correct way for these things.

I emphasized the correct thing to do is get D* to fix it. The correct way is not to go buy additional parts D* should have provided and install them yourself.

At what point is this insanity going to end? The D* installers are clueless, but you, Mr. Customer, be sure to install it the 'correct' way.

Edited by dwcolvin, 23 May 2010 - 04:14 PM.
Removed inappropriate insult

#49 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:29 PM

This gets him running, which is more than I can say for you or RobertE or his idiot installer.

Maybe it's time for you to take a step back from the keyboard?
We're all here to help and what we post for one, will be here for everyone to see.
"Crap now" will stick long after your disclaimers do.
A.K.A VOS

#50 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:30 PM

At what point is this insanity going to end? The D* installers are clueless, but you, Mr. Customer, be sure to install it the 'correct' way.

This gets him running, which is more than I can say for you or RobertE or his idiot installer. :flaiming

Not all DirecTV installers are idiots. There are some bad ones out there but there are just as many good ones.

Why beat on VOS and Roberte.....
DBSTalk Chat Room Mod (I reserve the right to be wrong.)

AT9 to SWM16
LR: HR24-100 to Panasonic 50" w/ Sony HTIB/FR: HR20-700 to Samsung LN55B640
Office: HR34-700 to Panasonic 50" w/ HD-A2
Office: H21-200 to 36" SD TV/BR: HR21-200 to Samsung 32" LCD
My full setup in Visio: http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=105

#51 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:44 PM

Not all DirecTV installers are idiots. There are some bad ones out there but there are just as many good ones.

Why beat on VOS and Roberte.....

I absolutely agree... all DirecTV installers are not idiots... in fact, I would think the vast majority are not. Just the OP's installer and his supervisor.

There is also no doubt that VOS and RobertE are always trying to be helpful, and I have the greatest respect for them.

But, after all this guy's gone through, allowing him to go purchase and install hardware that his installer should have installed is not helpful.

I think these horror stories are getting to me. :mad:

#52 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:48 PM

I absolutely agree... all DirecTV installers are not idiots... in fact, I would think the vast majority are not. Just the OP's installer and his supervisor.

There is also no doubt that VOS and RobertE are always trying to be helpful, and I have the greatest respect for them.

But, after all this guy's gone through, allowing him to go purchase and install hardware that his installer should have installed is not helpful.

I'm sure I wasn't telling him to and doubt Robert was either.

"You think this one was bad".... should have seen/read a few earlier this week.
Bandstops "must be" installed on the inputs to a SWiM-16. Oh My God:bang:bang
A.K.A VOS

#53 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:49 PM

and when second guy gets there and sees unsupported hookup what will happen?
think the blame won't go towards customer?
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#54 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:52 PM

This is true, but it's still the lesser of 2 evils at this present time. VOS and Roberte and are also trying to educate the folks that need it not just get the "stuff working" in any way possible. It's very likely many would just leave it this way because it was working.

The OP certainly needs to go back to DirecTV regardless.

Horror stories or not....VOS and Roberte deserve more respect than your previous post (2 up) showed. Thank you for acknowledging it in your last.
DBSTalk Chat Room Mod (I reserve the right to be wrong.)

AT9 to SWM16
LR: HR24-100 to Panasonic 50" w/ Sony HTIB/FR: HR20-700 to Samsung LN55B640
Office: HR34-700 to Panasonic 50" w/ HD-A2
Office: H21-200 to 36" SD TV/BR: HR21-200 to Samsung 32" LCD
My full setup in Visio: http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=105

#55 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:57 PM

Obviously, if this was an MRV upgrade, it definitely was not done correctly. DirecTV should be contacted and a tech should be sent back out to correct itat no cost to the customer.

If DirecTV is not going to do this, an e-mail to Ellen Filipiak <ellen.filipiak@directv.com>, VP of customer service, is probably needed and will usually take care of the issue.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#56 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:12 PM

and when second guy gets there and sees unsupported hookup what will happen?
think the blame won't go towards customer?

The second guy will think the first guy was an idiot, and wonder why it works ;)

#57 OFFLINE   rleffler

rleffler

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 06:42 PM

I had the installer from hell this afternoon. Actually, he was a nice guy, just very clueless to DECAs. After six hours, I was told that he couldn't troubleshoot it any longer and had other customers to service and left.

Needless to say, I called Directv to complain. The CSR I spoke to was appalled at the fact the tech just left. I had the manager of the installation company call a few minutes later. He was just going to have the tech return to finish the job. I had to remind him that the tech was unable to complete the job and left.

When the installer called I asked about a SWiM 16 and was told he was bringing one. He brought two SWiM8s with a Dual SWM Expander. He kept claiming it was a SWiM16.

The DECAs aren't seeing each other, so I suspect it's a switch. I also have one DECA on a HR20-100 that won't light up. You can move it to another unit and all three lights come on.

The question I do have is how are the DVRs addressed when using the typical DECA cloud? I thought that they would just use DHCP to request an address. Mine are getting a 169 private subnet, but also can't see the broadband DECA. I suspect that is because they can't see the DHCP server and the Internet. I even went so far as enter static addresses that I used previously to no avail.

#58 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,966 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 23 May 2010 - 06:46 PM

When the installer called I asked about a SWiM 16 and was told he was bringing one. He brought two SWiM8s with a Dual SWM Expander. He kept claiming it was a SWiM16.

The DECAs aren't seeing each other, so I suspect it's a switch. I also have one DECA on a HR20-100 that won't light up. You can move it to another unit and all three lights come on.

The question I do have is how are the DVRs addressed when using the typical DECA cloud? I thought that they would just use DHCP to request an address. Mine are getting a 169 private subnet, but also can't see the broadband DECA. I suspect that is because they can't see the DHCP server and the Internet. I even went so far as enter static addresses that I used previously to no avail.

You need a SWM 16 before anything else. Two SWM8s don't work.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#59 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:28 PM

I had the installer from hell this afternoon. Actually, he was a nice guy, just very clueless to DECAs. After six hours, I was told that he couldn't troubleshoot it any longer and had other customers to service and left.

Needless to say, I called Directv to complain. The CSR I spoke to was appalled at the fact the tech just left. I had the manager of the installation company call a few minutes later. He was just going to have the tech return to finish the job. I had to remind him that the tech was unable to complete the job and left.

Any receiver based off of one SWiM8 will not see those off of the other SWiM8, hence why you do need a SWiM16.

The HR20 might not have been working correct as there is an issue with them powering the DECA. You most likely needed a PI to run that DECA. I assume that the other receiver you then hooked it up to was not a HR20.

As for network addressing, if the DECA cloud is correctly bridged to your local network, DHCP addressing will work. If the DECA cloud is not bridged, then you need to assign the IP addresses manually.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

Protected By... spam firewall...And...