Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Power Inserters

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   FrankD1

FrankD1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:34 PM

OK. So I had my SWM/MRV install done yesterday (SWM16, 3 HR2Xs, 2 R22s, 6 DECAs including one to router), and all is pretty sweet. Other than the tech plugging the SWM inserter into a switched outlet (panic last night when we went to bed and all the IRDs were searching for satellite because we had turned off the lights), and me losing weeks of recordings because I failed to read up on the CE -> NR downgrade issues (documented in the CE release notes), I was happy with the install.

One bummer I discovered as I was troubleshooting last night's SWM power issue was that the tech used a standalone inserter for the SWM instead of a pass through. I was looking forward to clearing out the second RG6 in each room, but with the current setup, the second RG6 in the living rm is being used by the SWM inserter to power the SWM.

I ordered a pass-through inserter (29V) from SolidSignal last night before dozing off to try to resolve the double RG6 situation. But now I'm a little confused/concerned. How does a SWM/MRV net handle two power inserters (one for the SWM, one for the DECA net)? All the diagrams I could find on the SWM show the power being inserted between the SWM module and the HF splitter, but these diagrams are all a couple years old, and since my current functioning system has the SWM inserter connected to the power passing port on the HF splitter (green label), it's obvious the engineering has been modified since the diagrams were made.

So the only difference I'm envisioning is instead of having a dedicated run for the SWM inserter, it will be in-line with one of the IRDs: IRD <-> DECA <-> SWM-PI <-> HF Splitter <-> SWM16. My hesitation is how the SWM PI will work on a line that already has power injected by the DECA PI. FWIW, I wasn't planning on having the DECA PI on the same drop as the SWM PI, but if it doesn't make a difference, that would be good to know.

Can anyone offer guidance? Let me know if you need more details.

TIA!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,394 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 04:03 PM

The DECA PI powers the DECA and NO DC passes onto the coax.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   FrankD1

FrankD1

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 04:27 PM

The DECA PI powers the DECA and NO DC passes onto the coax.

Then what is the purpose of the DECA PI? I was under the assumption (I guess incorrectly) that the DECA PI injects power for use by all the DECAs on the net... that's not what it does? I didn't get around to checking out how the tech set up all the DECAs- I guess maybe the DECA injector is only needed for the router DECA, since it doesn't have an IRD to supply power?

So does my intended mod: IRD <-> DECA <-> SWM-PI <-> HF Splitter <-> SWM16, sound like it will work?

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,394 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 04:30 PM

Then what is the purpose of the DECA PI? I was under the assumption (I guess incorrectly) that the DECA PI injects power for use by all the DECAs on the net... that's not what it does? I didn't get around to checking out how the tech set up all the DECAs- I guess maybe the DECA injector is only needed for the router DECA, since it doesn't have an IRD to supply power?

So does my intended mod: IRD <-> DECA <-> SWM-PI <-> HF Splitter <-> SWM16, sound like it will work?

you're on the right track.
The IRDs supply power to the DECAs connected to them. Since the router bridge doesn't connect to an IRD, it needs a PI for it.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   FrankD1

FrankD1

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 04:48 PM

you're on the right track.
The IRDs supply power to the DECAs connected to them. Since the router bridge doesn't connect to an IRD, it needs a PI for it.

Thank you! The help is much appreciated.

On a tangent, in the incident I described at the top of the thread about the SWM PI losing power, it was a MAJOR hassle getting my HR2Xs to reacquire satellite signal after I repowered the SWM (although the R22s came right back for some reason). From what I read while researching the problem, it was because the IRDs stayed powered during the incident. After MANY RBRs and power cycles, the only thing that eventually worked was unplugging the units for 5-10 minutes, and then they came back fine.

I read one post mentioning that if the power blips, a similar situation may occur because the blip is enough to knock the SWM out, but not enough to reboot the IRD (the post recommended a UPS for this scenario). I don't know if I'm going to go to that extent, but do you know if, in a reguar outage where both SWM and IRD go out, is there enough time when power is restored for the SWM to power up, before the IRD starts looking for it (and avoids the apparent confusion the IRDs encountered last night)?

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,394 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:46 PM

Thank you! The help is much appreciated.

On a tangent, in the incident I described at the top of the thread about the SWM PI losing power, it was a MAJOR hassle getting my HR2Xs to reacquire satellite signal after I repowered the SWM (although the R22s came right back for some reason). From what I read while researching the problem, it was because the IRDs stayed powered during the incident. After MANY RBRs and power cycles, the only thing that eventually worked was unplugging the units for 5-10 minutes, and then they came back fine.

I read one post mentioning that if the power blips, a similar situation may occur because the blip is enough to knock the SWM out, but not enough to reboot the IRD (the post recommended a UPS for this scenario). I don't know if I'm going to go to that extent, but do you know if, in a reguar outage where both SWM and IRD go out, is there enough time when power is restored for the SWM to power up, before the IRD starts looking for it (and avoids the apparent confusion the IRDs encountered last night)?

Since I live mid way up the Sierras I know how this works for a loss of power :eek2: :lol:
A "normal" loss of say 5 mins [I should be so lucky], the SWM will come on before the receivers and everything is OK.
What you had at first was the loss of SWM but not the receivers. What happens here is the comm between the receivers & SWM gets lost.
Almost the first thing to do if you have any SWM issues is to power everything down. Power the SWM up. give it a couple of mins, then power up one receiver at a time and wait until it comes up completely before moving to the next. This way each receiver get "locked on" the comm to the SWM & the SWM knows which channel this receiver is looking at.
Otherwise sometime they get "lost".
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   FrankD1

FrankD1

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:58 PM

Since I live mid way up the Sierras I know how this works for a loss of power :eek2: :lol:
A "normal" loss of say 5 mins [I should be so lucky], the SWM will come on before the receivers and everything is OK.
What you had at first was the loss of SWM but not the receivers. What happens here is the comm between the receivers & SWM gets lost.
Almost the first thing to do if you have any SWM issues is to power everything down. Power the SWM up. give it a couple of mins, then power up one receiver at a time and wait until it comes up completely before moving to the next. This way each receiver get "locked on" the comm to the SWM & the SWM knows which channel this receiver is looking at.
Otherwise sometime they get "lost".

I guess the SWM gods were kind enough to have you (with your experiences) catch my thread (with what I thought was an oddball scenario).

Thanks again for the help!

spam firewall