Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

SWM 16 Power Config Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   69hokie

69hokie

Icon

• Registered
  • 716 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 04:30 PM

Is the attached picture the proper configuration for using a PI with a SWM16? A PI is what my installer brought with him and we set it up as a power supply local to the SWM16 instead of as a power inserter when installing Whole Home DVR Service today. Any problem with this configuration?

Attached Thumbnails

• SWM 16 power config.jpg

Wayne
Go Virginia Tech....and "Hoo"ever is playing UVa!

My Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 04:34 PM

That is one way [and maybe the preferred way], but some are also doing it "the old way" as with the SWM8 and going in output #1.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   69hokie

69hokie

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 716 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 04:39 PM

That is one way [and maybe the preferred way], but some are also doing it "the old way" as with the SWM8 and going in output #1.

Thanks VOS...I was hoping you "had your ears on". I thought this would be OK, but decided to check. It was the first install for a SWM16 or the DECA's for the installer so I kind of lead him by the hand...good guy, just not familiar with them at all. I had noticed that both the SWM1 and the center connection points had the Red centers we are used to seeing for power on the SWM8's.
Wayne
Go Virginia Tech....and "Hoo"ever is playing UVa!

My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   webby_s

webby_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 04:52 PM

I just got mine in the mail yesterday and was also wondering if I could send power to the output #1 and skip the center "power" input altogether. The PI I got with the SWiM 16 only has one output and says for SWM16/SWM8 only. I have another one laying around that I think is the same voltage output with two coax inputs (one to SWM One to IRD)

So could I use the other one straight to the SWiM16 then to IRD with other? So there's only one coax (two total) going to the SWM?
SlimLine 5LNB SWM 16
HR34-700 -->52" Sharp Aquos LED
H25-100 -->32" Philips Master BD
HR21-100 -->19" Vizio LED Kitchen,
HR24-500 --> 50" Panasonic DLP
Hockey is not a sport in Minnesota, it is life.

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:35 PM

So could I use the other one straight to the SWiM16 then to IRD with other? So there's only one coax (two total) going to the SWM?

yes
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   webby_s

webby_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:16 PM

Thanks VOS, I knew you'd have the answer. Now I think I know how I will install this awesome piece of engineering. I'll wire that one (power inputs) down to the garage where I'll have one of my H2*
SlimLine 5LNB SWM 16
HR34-700 -->52" Sharp Aquos LED
H25-100 -->32" Philips Master BD
HR21-100 -->19" Vizio LED Kitchen,
HR24-500 --> 50" Panasonic DLP
Hockey is not a sport in Minnesota, it is life.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...