Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MRV installation doubts

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dleighton

dleighton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:05 PM

I just called DirecTV to have MRV activated/installed. The rep was very friendly and helpful, but I'm not sure I'm getting what I need. My HR21-700 currently has 2 coax lines directly from the dish and is network to my router. I have On Demand available on this DVR. My HR20-700 has 1 coax line directly from the dish and is not networked and cannot easily be networked. I have no SWM.

She said that since I already have 2 compatible DVRs and "seem to know what's going on" she is going to send me a DECA for the HR20 at no charge so I can install it myself. According to her, once the DECA is installed on the HR20 and MRV is activated, the 2 DVRs will be able to see each other. From what I've seen here on the forum, I don't think it's that simple. Any comments?
Family Room
SWMline -> HR21-700
HR21-700 -> HDMI -> Toshiba 62HM196
HR21-700 -> optical -> Denon AVR 3805
HR21-700 <-> Linksys WRT54G <-> FIOS (15Mbs)
Harmony 880

Kid's Lounge
SWMline-> HR20-700 -> Toshiba 26" SD TV

Master Bedroom
SMWline -> H21-200 -> RCA 20" SD TV

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:23 PM

No, it won't be that simple. You'd be much better served with a full DECA upgrade, which would convert you to a SWM LNB, which will get that extra tuner working and get you networking over your existing coax.

#3 OFFLINE   mikeny

mikeny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:24 PM

You need to convert to a SWM system. DECA only works with SWM.
SL3 SWM, 3 HR24-500s, H25-500, DECA

#4 OFFLINE   dleighton

dleighton

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:05 AM

Called to DirecTV back to explain that I felt the first call didn't produce the correct results. This rep agreed and got me set up for the correct equipment (SWM and DECA). Because the 1st rep made some changes to my account stating that I already had the correct equipment (which I don't), the 2nd rep had some trouble placing the correct order. The end result is that she had to place an order that has a total cost about half of the normal cost, so I lucked out there. Installation is scheduled for tomorrow so we'll see if the guy shows up with the correct equipment.
Family Room
SWMline -> HR21-700
HR21-700 -> HDMI -> Toshiba 62HM196
HR21-700 -> optical -> Denon AVR 3805
HR21-700 <-> Linksys WRT54G <-> FIOS (15Mbs)
Harmony 880

Kid's Lounge
SWMline-> HR20-700 -> Toshiba 26" SD TV

Master Bedroom
SMWline -> H21-200 -> RCA 20" SD TV

Protected By... spam firewall...And...