Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Does HR24 allow separate room viewing without a receiver?

hr24

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rhenschel

rhenschel

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:12 PM

I apologize in advance because this question is probably pretty simple, but I've looked around a little and didn't really find my answer.

I currently have Dish Network with the 722 HD-DVR. Using the two tuners in the 722, I have two televisions using it (the 2nd in another room connected via RG6 and a UHF remote). I have a third television controlled with a non-DVR HD receiver.

I'm probably going to switch to Direct TV but I'm wondering if I can do the same thing with the HR24/H24 and MRV? I get the impression that MRV allows for a receiver (i.e. H24) to access the recordings made on the HR24. That would be a bonus for me. But does the HR24 allow another television to be controlled using the built-in secondary tuner in another room?

I'm basically trying to save the expense of getting a another receiver. Right now, Direct TV is basically giving a free HD DVR and a free HD receiver for new customers, but if I need a another receiver, I believe that will cost me some money (unless I go with a standard SD receiver).

So can I control two different televisions with the HR24?

Thanks in advance.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:17 PM

No, DirecTV does not make dual output DVRs or receivers. That is unique to Dish Network.

#3 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:19 PM

The DirecTv DVRs will output to multiple TVs, however, they do not allow you to tune those TVs to different channels, all will display the same channel. To do what you want, you would need two DVRs and one receiver.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#4 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:19 PM

You can connect the DVR to another display via a run of HDMI (or other) though. All the outputs are active.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#5 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:24 PM

on the bright side a second reciever is only $5/mo and won't tie up tuners in your DVR..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#6 OFFLINE   webby_s

webby_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:26 PM

The short answer is no, the HR24 can not broadcast to another tv like the 722 BUT all the outputs are live on the back of all receivers so you could string a component bought on monoprice to that other tv. Then just use the remotes in RF (uhf) mode. The HR24 to H24 will talk to each other through MRV.

Personally, I would pull the trigger on the extra receiver and get MRV to that one to, or go with what I said above and string a line to the other tv
SlimLine 5LNB SWM 16
HR34-700 -->52" Sharp Aquos LED
H25-100 -->32" Philips Master BD
HR21-100 -->19" Vizio LED Kitchen,
HR24-500 --> 50" Panasonic DLP
Hockey is not a sport in Minnesota, it is life.

#7 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:41 PM

I have a HR21 in my office on a 26" SDTV and run a 15' HDMI cable to a 24" 720P set in the bedroom. I got an extra remote and set it up for RF. It works great.

#8 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,125 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:13 PM

I apologize in advance because this question is probably pretty simple, but I've looked around a little and didn't really find my answer.

I currently have Dish Network with the 722 HD-DVR. Using the two tuners in the 722, I have two televisions using it (the 2nd in another room connected via RG6 and a UHF remote). I have a third television controlled with a non-DVR HD receiver.

I'm probably going to switch to Direct TV but I'm wondering if I can do the same thing with the HR24/H24 and MRV? I get the impression that MRV allows for a receiver (i.e. H24) to access the recordings made on the HR24. That would be a bonus for me. But does the HR24 allow another television to be controlled using the built-in secondary tuner in another room?

I'm basically trying to save the expense of getting a another receiver. Right now, Direct TV is basically giving a free HD DVR and a free HD receiver for new customers, but if I need a another receiver, I believe that will cost me some money (unless I go with a standard SD receiver).

So can I control two different televisions with the HR24?

Thanks in advance.

Rich

DO you need to be able to watch different channels on all three tvs at the same time?

If not, then as other have mentioned, you can just run a second set of outputs to one of your tv's....

#9 OFFLINE   rhenschel

rhenschel

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:31 AM

Thanks guys, that helps a lot!

I guess I have a couple options. If I want to get by without the extra receiver (or DVR), I'd probably have to change things around. Currently the television in the kitchen is sharing the 722 with the theater room, so there are times when my wife wants to watch something different than what's in the theater room. But I could probably share the HR24 output between the theater room and bedroom since we are usually in one or the other.

I'd need to research how to distribute the HR24's output. Look's like it displays component and HDMI....but my whole-house wiring has Cat 5e and RG-6 going to every room, and it wouldn't be practical to run a separate wire. Is there any easy way to convert either of those to go over RG-6 or Cat 5e?

Or to keep things simple, I guess I should just get another receiver. I was originally thinking get a free SD receiver, but from what I can tell, none of those support MRV. So I might have to spring the $99 for the HD receiver. Or maybe better yet, I found in another post that the HR24 is available on overstock.com for $155. Maybe that's the best idea...

Also, any tips on maximizing my chances of getting HR24/H24 when I sign up as a new customer? Should I just wait a little longer? I think the current promotion they have in place ends 7/15.

Rich

#10 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,661 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:43 AM

Tivo...Besides speed are there any other advantages Tivo has over the HR series?

#11 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:47 AM

Tivo...Besides speed are there any other advantages Tivo has over the HR series?

?????????????????????

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#12 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:51 AM

Back to the topic. The HR24 does put out it's signal through the HDMI and Component outputs at the same time, so with the RF remote that it comes with, you can change channels (same on both outputs) from a different room (within RF range) at the same time.

I do this exact setup in our motorhome, and the remote works perfectly about 30 feet away from the receiver.
Barry
MY SETUP
You can usually find me helping out in the Quiet Room on Friday chat night.

#13 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,777 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:24 AM

Back to the topic. The HR24 does put out it's signal through the HDMI and Component outputs at the same time, so with the RF remote that it comes with, you can change channels (same on both outputs) from a different room (within RF range) at the same time.

I do this exact setup in our motorhome, and the remote works perfectly about 30 feet away from the receiver.

You may be one of the few to have MRV in a motorhome. :eek2: :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:27 AM

I guess I have a couple options. If I want to get by without the extra receiver (or DVR), I'd probably have to change things around. Currently the television in the kitchen is sharing the 722 with the theater room, so there are times when my wife wants to watch something different than what's in the theater room. But I could probably share the HR24 output between the theater room and bedroom since we are usually in one or the other.

I'd need to research how to distribute the HR24's output. Look's like it displays component and HDMI....but my whole-house wiring has Cat 5e and RG-6 going to every room, and it wouldn't be practical to run a separate wire. Is there any easy way to convert either of those to go over RG-6 or Cat 5e?

Or to keep things simple, I guess I should just get another receiver. I was originally thinking get a free SD receiver, but from what I can tell, none of those support MRV. So I might have to spring the $99 for the HD receiver. Or maybe better yet, I found in another post that the HR24 is available on overstock.com for $155. Maybe that's the best idea...

Also, any tips on maximizing my chances of getting HR24/H24 when I sign up as a new customer? Should I just wait a little longer? I think the current promotion they have in place ends 7/15.

Rich

There are ways to use your existing wiring, but it would be a lot more expensive than the HR24 for $155. That's your best bet

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#15 OFFLINE   kymikes

kymikes

Icon

• Registered
  • 658 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:04 PM

Rich

This is admittedly second hand information but several acquaintances have gotten an additional HD receiver for free as a part of a 'conversion' from Dish or cable in my area (not an extra DVR). You might want to negotiate a bit harder as a 'key selling point' of making the conversion. FYI. Don't know the probability of getting all 24's however (relatively small data sample) but many new install's with SWiM/DECA seem to be getting them (YMMV).

#16 OFFLINE   rhenschel

rhenschel

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:44 PM

Thanks again guys for all your help.

I'm probably going to go ahead with two HR24's and one H24....I'll either get the 2nd HR24 from DirectTV or someplace like overstock.com.

I'll probably wait a month or two. Looks like I have 5 months left on my Dish contract and they will charge me $10 a month for each remaining month. I tried to get DirectTV to help me with that cancellation fee, but they said they couldn't.

Since it looks like the current promotions go until 7/15, I'll sit tight for a bit.

Thanks again.

Rich

#17 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,777 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:15 AM

Ok...I need a questioned answered here...Does the HR24 need a DECA & SWM system to run MRV? I currently have a HR21 & HR23 using my own home network thru my ethernet connection. It is Unsupported of course, but works just fine. Can I add the HR24 to this configuration without DECA & SWM from the DirecTV installer who is own his way to install a HR24...if he can find one.

Use BBCs on non SWiM systems and connect ethernet to disable the DECA.
"Works".
A.K.A VOS

#18 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,734 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:44 AM

BBCs are not used in a SWiM/DECA system.

The HR24 does not require SWiM/DECA to do MRV any more than any other H series device, but if you order Whole Home viewing through DIRECTV, they will convert your system to SWiM.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#19 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,777 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:46 AM

OK VOS..IF the DirecTV installer finds me a HR24, I should tell him to hook me up with 2 BBC's (like I have on the back of my HR21) and connect my home network the same way I already have...using my ethernet wiring...that is what you are stating, correct? But I need the 2 BBC's to correct/diseable the DECA built in system?

"Kind of"
You need the BBCs to get the HD channels [not anything to do with DECA]
You need to connect ethernet to disable the internal DECA.
A.K.A VOS

#20 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,777 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:47 AM

BBCs are not used in a SWiM/DECA system.

The HR24 does not require SWiM/DECA to do MRV any more than any other H series device, but if you order Whole Home viewing through DIRECTV, they will convert your system to SWiM.

and again we have a nonsense posting derailing the question being asked. :nono:
A.K.A VOS

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hr24

Protected By... spam firewall...And...