Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

anyone brave enough to upgrade internal HD in HR24?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
59 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,060 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:16 PM

For this unit, I;d recommend a antec mx-1 esata enclosure and whatever drive you wanted to use and hook it up via esata.....

This is not a unit you want to deal with internally.... Where as the hr20-23 where not too terrible/easy to work with...

#22 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:17 PM

What did you use to trip them?

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#23 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:19 PM

What's the temp run in your receiver? I know my HR20 runs around 130, but that's a regular 7200 RPM drive.

Just checked. 109 degrees.

#24 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:20 PM

For this unit, I;d recommend a antec mx-1 esata enclosure and whatever drive you wanted to use and hook it up via esata.....

This is not a unit you want to deal with internally.... Where as the hr20-23 where not too terrible/easy to work with...

I'm not really big on the external drives, until they can get it *JUST* as reliable as an internal.

#25 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:21 PM

What did you use to trip them?

A putty knife and a small thin screwdriver.

#26 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:21 PM

Just checked. 109 degrees.

Nice! Though I imagine even my 7200 RPM drive would run cooler in the HR24s.

#27 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:46 PM

Thanks. Putty knife eh? Well, when I do it, Im going to use a WD20EVDS probably. Right now, I am using a WD10EVDS in a Rosewill eSATA case. I dont plan to do it unless I have problems with the Rosewill or need to repair something else on the unit. Just wanted to know how, for future reference.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#28 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:57 PM

Yep. Not much space between the side of the case and the cover. Just need to be able to trip the clip.

#29 OFFLINE   betogat

betogat

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:24 PM

Did mine in less than 20 minutes. I used a 2TB green WD20EADS Hard Drive. There are only 6 clips total 2 each side and 2 access at the bottom. Old 500GB drive had a sponge that I got rid of. I tested it recording 2 shows at the same time, VOD a third and watch a previously recorded HD show with no issues. It is the easiest box to open, just BECAREFUL WITH THE CLIPS. Good luck!

#30 OFFLINE   am7crew

am7crew

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:27 AM

Did mine in about 30 mins trying to be extra cautious. threw in a 1.5TB. Special thanks to anleva

#31 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:12 AM

Did mine in about 30 mins trying to be extra cautious. threw in a 1.5TB. Special thanks to anleva

Thanks am7crew!

I didn't have access to these last night, but a picture is worth a thousand words. Here are 3 pictures of the bottom, right side and left side with cover over. You can see the clips circled in red and it gives you a reference to where they are located.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#32 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:45 AM

I'm not really big on the external drives, until they can get it *JUST* as reliable as an internal.

If done properly it is reliable. I've had external drives on my 2 HR20's for over 2 years now....zero problems.
DBSTalk Chat Room Mod (I reserve the right to be wrong.)

AT9 to SWM16
LR: HR24-100 to Panasonic 50" w/ Sony HTIB/FR: HR20-700 to Samsung LN55B640
Office: HR34-700 to Panasonic 50" w/ HD-A2
Office: H21-200 to 36" SD TV/BR: HR21-200 to Samsung 32" LCD
My full setup in Visio: http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=105

#33 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,862 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:22 AM

Well....

this isn't really a subject I'm comfortable with. We've decided not to quash conversation of this type, because it's fully legitimate if you do truly own the HR24.

But all the same, I'll tell you this. I have an HR24-500 from the production line. It was a pain to open. Not as much of a pain as the H24, but still. These puppies are tamper-resistant. I won't go into more details.

Just trust me, an eSATA is a much more reasonable option.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#34 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,859 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:34 AM

What's wrong with using an eSATA drive?

It's much less work and has exactly the result.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#35 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:38 AM

Just trust me, an eSATA is a much more reasonable option.

And it would be a much more reasonable option if DirecTV would officially support eSata and offer or recommend compatible devices. As it is, both methods offer risk.
DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#36 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,859 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:42 AM

And it would be a much more reasonable option if DirecTV would officially support eSata and offer or recommend compatible devices. As it is, both methods offer risk.

Adding an eSATA doesn't have the potential to break your receiver. AAMOF, adding an eSATA has has no risk what so ever to the receiver.

But hey, if you own it then do what you want. It just seems like a whole lot of work for what amounts to zero gain.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#37 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,806 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:54 AM

There is an entire thread on DirecTV recommended eSATA drives.

http://www.dbstalk.c... External Drive
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#38 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:20 AM

Adding an eSATA doesn't have the potential to break your receiver. AAMOF, adding an eSATA has has no risk what so ever to the receiver.

But hey, if you own it then do what you want. It just seems like a whole lot of work for what amounts to zero gain.

Mike

Yes there is always a risk when you open the receiver up if you aren't careful or don't know what you are doing. That can't be dismissed. However, I personally did not find it that difficult or that much work to upgrade the hard drive and I thought there was a gain for me.

My thinking on why I upgraded internally versus via eSata.

1) Cheaper. I did not have to buy an external enclosure.
2) Quieter. Internal is quieter than external. Some have gotten Antec's with noisy fans or complain of drive noise.
3) Aesthetics, reduced clutter. I don't have to have an external device hanging from the back of my DVR, another power cable, Sata cable.
4) Power. Doesn't require another power connection.
5) Reliable. From what I have read from posters here, there have sometimes been issues of the DVR not recognizing the external drive at system restart. Plus another potential device to fail and maintain (the Antec w/fan).
6) Give me a chance to tinker. Who doesn't like taking things apart, seeing what is inside and upgrading. :D

#39 OFFLINE   Sim-X

Sim-X

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:32 AM

I'm planning on doing mine once I get upgraded. I already own a WD20EVDS which works awesome in my HR22. I can swap a drive on a HR22 in about 8 min. (The first time I did it, took over an hour) I have taken it in and out a few times for different reasons. When I did it in 8 min I was timing myself and going as fast as possible. Just going normal speed I can do it in 10-15 min not rushing.

If I do end up doing mine I would be more than happy to take pictures.

#40 OFFLINE   macq

macq

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:45 AM

Weaknees.com is now offering HR24's upgraded with larger internal drives.

They say D* may be coaxed into treating it as an owned receiver but there is no certainly they will.

So, if it's OK for Weaknees to do it, why shouldn't it be OK for us to do it?

Sorry if this is a violation of any board policy. I'm not affiliated with Weaknees in any way - just trying to get clarity on the issue regarding modifications.

spam firewall