Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

SWM-ing In A MRV Nightmare

usb

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   elixir26

elixir26

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:31 PM

Ok I may have finally been pushed over the edge. FIOS...DISH...Someone save me. It's clear that D couldn't care less. I've got 5 hd dvrs been around since 03, all the movies, big bill and NO contract with D. I should be someone to please. When my perfectly working MRV, Ethernet driven, beta, went belly up, I called to pay my money and have it turned back on. "NO DICE" I need the DECA to do that, even though it just worked yesterday!. So I get a free install for today between 8am and noon. NO SHOW!! Not until I call 3 times and at 4:15 I get a tech that has NEVER done this before. After an hour and a half of futzing and calling and holding, it turns out I don't have SWM...NO SH#T. I've never had SWM and it's right there on my record! OK OK Mr. I couldn't give a sh#t less about your time says. We'll set you up for another F**KING Monday morning with someone "a little more experienced". I can't wait. I call CR again, 4th time, tell her what happened. "I feel disrespected" I've had issues before this that were not resolved in a businesslike fashion. She is sugary sweet,,,,but would not give up a couple of HR24 upgrades. Two little boxes would have shut me up and made me feel wanted. NO DICE. I hate getting F**KED and paying for it. Does anyone have an opinion on DISH...I already have FIOS internet and could swing that way easy, but their DVRs are not expandable at this time. At this point I really don't need BETTER than Direct TV, I just need someone that WANTS to take my money AND tell me I'm pretty.

Thanks for reading the rant.
1 HR20-700
3 HR24-500
1 HR24-100
1 AZiO External Enclosure
WD 2tb WD20EADS,
WD 2tb WD20EURS,

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   am7crew

am7crew

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:43 PM

I called once the beta was over and said add me to "unsupported" mode and after the guy put me on hold for 5 mins came back and said "I learned something new, didnt know we could do that. its been activated" and sure enough it was. As far as fios DVR's go you could always get tivos

#3 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:56 PM

A few minutes research on this forum may have saved you a lot of headaches.

#4 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:58 PM

Ok I may have finally been pushed over the edge. FIOS...DISH...Someone save me. It's clear that D couldn't care less. I've got 5 hd dvrs been around since 03, all the movies, big bill and NO contract with D. I should be someone to please. When my perfectly working MRV, Ethernet driven, beta, went belly up, I called to pay my money and have it turned back on. "NO DICE" I need the DECA to do that, even though it just worked yesterday!. So I get a free install for today between 8am and noon. NO SHOW!! Not until I call 3 times and at 4:15 I get a tech that has NEVER done this before. After an hour and a half of futzing and calling and holding, it turns out I don't have SWM...NO SH#T. I've never had SWM and it's right there on my record! OK OK Mr. I couldn't give a sh#t less about your time says. We'll set you up for another F**KING Monday morning with someone "a little more experienced". I can't wait. I call CR again, 4th time, tell her what happened. "I feel disrespected" I've had issues before this that were not resolved in a businesslike fashion. She is sugary sweet,,,,but would not give up a couple of HR24 upgrades. Two little boxes would have shut me up and made me feel wanted. NO DICE. I hate getting F**KED and paying for it. Does anyone have an opinion on DISH...I already have FIOS internet and could swing that way easy, but their DVRs are not expandable at this time. At this point I really don't need BETTER than Direct TV, I just need someone that WANTS to take my money AND tell me I'm pretty.

Thanks for reading the rant.

Not trying to be a dick here but if you took the time to read the multiple threads on getting MRV turned on for your home network you probably would of avoided a bunch of this. Its been widely posted about the issues with the roll out so just b/c you have a history doesn't mean much of anything as respect to the quality of your install. Most that could of been done is the regional service mgr could of seen your complaints and called you and set up an "in house tech"(ones driving the directv vans) to ensure the install went better. This happened to me when a subcontractor dropped the ball on wanting to get up on my 3story roof saying it wasn't possible.

I hear ya on the dissapointment and agree directv dropped a major ball here or least the installer did with the no show and also the one that came out and couldn't do the install but you could of avoided it by getting it turned on using the steps provided here in the forum.

#5 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,792 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:23 PM

Please read this thread...

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=177590

You are not alone, but you also need to understand that long term, they don;t want their techs ever messing with people's networking setups, and I don't blame them for that....

And when beta periods end, things change.. When was the last time someone who was using windows 7 beta was able to use it? They all had to pay for the real deal when it launched to keep using it, and now directv is asking the same here, not to mention it stated that in the accept screen for the beta MRV program, so none of that is unexpected.

They are having issues with this rollout, and it sucks, but there are ways to get around the issues, you just need to be patient....

And if that fails, go FIOS... :D

#6 OFFLINE   Bajanjack

Bajanjack

Icon

• Registered
  • 662 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:38 PM

I guess I am one of the fortunate ones...On Tuesday I called up, and using Doug's "script" I got my MRV converted from "beta" to "authorized" in no more than 10 minutes...On that same call I decided to get DECA installed and made an appt for today...the installer showed up at 2:30 and was awesome..he was concerned about the signal strength and swapped out my dish with a new one..he installed a SWM16....he replaced the H20 with an H24 and the R15 with an R16....when he went to reset one of my two HR20-700s it did not work..he did not have an HR24 to swap for the HR20-700 on his truck and voluntarily agreed to pick one up and come back to install it 8am tomorrow. I did not lose any recorded programs....I am a happy camper!!
HR34-700, HR20-700, HR21-100,HR24-500,H24-100, R16-300

#7 OFFLINE   elixir26

elixir26

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:52 PM

Not trying to be a dick here but if you took the time to read the multiple threads on getting MRV turned on for your home network you probably would of avoided a bunch of this. Its been widely posted about the issues with the roll out so just b/c you have a history doesn't mean much of anything as respect to the quality of your install. Most that could of been done is the regional service mgr could of seen your complaints and called you and set up an "in house tech"(ones driving the directv vans) to ensure the install went better. This happened to me when a subcontractor dropped the ball on wanting to get up on my 3story roof saying it wasn't possible.

I hear ya on the dissapointment and agree directv dropped a major ball here or least the installer did with the no show and also the one that came out and couldn't do the install but you could of avoided it by getting it turned on using the steps provided here in the forum.

In a world full of dicks I'm not trying to be one either. I can't and don't read everything posted. I was cool with the install and price. I've heard SWM is not a bad thing. I had no reason to NOT expect a reasonable result. They waved the fee and scheduled me in 2 days. No problem. It went to hell from there and the lack of caring and compensation, all things considered, is my major complaint.
1 HR20-700
3 HR24-500
1 HR24-100
WD 2tb WD20EADS,
WD 2tb WD20EURS,

#8 OFFLINE   elixir26

elixir26

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:02 PM

Just got off the phone and got turned back on through my LAN. Finally talked to someone that knew what to do, after I told them what had been done, thanks all the kind posters here. I'll endure the Monday SWM upgrade and DECA install because the girl who knew what she was doing said I should. Sometimes the future hurts before it feels good. Thanks for all the help that was given to me, a humble "legend"
1 HR20-700
3 HR24-500
1 HR24-100
WD 2tb WD20EADS,
WD 2tb WD20EURS,

#9 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:05 PM

A few minutes research on this forum may have saved you a lot of headaches.

If only the DirecTV CSR's would do this!
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#10 OFFLINE   elixir26

elixir26

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:15 PM

If only the DirecTV CSR's would do this!

Thank You.

The CSR's I've talked to read from a script. They say the same things. The customer retention reps basically say it with "Passion"
1 HR20-700
3 HR24-500
1 HR24-100
WD 2tb WD20EADS,
WD 2tb WD20EURS,

#11 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:17 PM

Thank You.

The CSR's I've talked to read from a script. They say the same things. The customer retention reps basically say it with "Passion"

Hence the only person I could get to do it for my account the day it was released was in TECH SUPPORT! Go Figure. haha

#12 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:20 PM

Connected home forum is this way --> http://www.dbstalk.c...splay.php?f=137
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#13 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:23 PM

Connected home forum is this way --> http://www.dbstalk.c...splay.php?f=137

Yeah If I had mod powers id move it over there but no point in not responding to someones post.

Sure itll be placed over there in due time though.

#14 OFFLINE   docderwood

docderwood

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 06:50 AM

Sorry, this is Directv's fault. The customer should not have to research the internet to find what "script" THEY need to read from to get MRV activated on their own network instead of DECA.

Even with the "SCRIPT" provided by this forum, it still took me 3 or 4 calls to do this.

The product they provide is good, but calling them inevitably turns into a very frustrating experience very fast.

#15 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 568 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:13 AM

Could someone explain why an R22 DVR (HD enabled) worked during the beta MRV and can't work with DECA. Is it a D software thing? The R22, and my HR22 worked fine with powerlines (abet kinda slow on startup). When the beta went off, I sent D an email, asking them about getting turned on to MRV, they said sure, both receivers were OK, but I had to up date my programming ($1 more per month) and pay $3 per month for MRV, but call and I would be taken care of. I called, said that I had saved the pennies (retired) and wanted DECA installed (felt good) and the nice lady said "oh, and you will need to buy a new receiver cause the R22 won't work with MRV". I told her that I really couldn't afford to purchase a new receiver right now and she said "OK then, I will mark you as a beta tester and when you can get a new receiver, call back".
I can live without MRV, but something about this R22 thing, upgrading packages, get a new receiver, somehow doesn't quite pass my sniff test.
Will keep the DECA monies in the bank and my eye on the forum to see if/when something can be done with the R22 thing. Tks for letting an ole f..t rant.

#16 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:22 AM

Could someone explain why an R22 DVR (HD enabled) worked during the beta MRV and can't work with DECA. Is it a D software thing? The R22, and my HR22 worked fine with powerlines (abet kinda slow on startup). When the beta went off, I sent D an email, asking them about getting turned on to MRV, they said sure, both receivers were OK, but I had to up date my programming ($1 more per month) and pay $3 per month for MRV, but call and I would be taken care of. I called, said that I had saved the pennies (retired) and wanted DECA installed (felt good) and the nice lady said "oh, and you will need to buy a new receiver cause the R22 won't work with MRV". I told her that I really couldn't afford to purchase a new receiver right now and she said "OK then, I will mark you as a beta tester and when you can get a new receiver, call back".
I can live without MRV, but something about this R22 thing, upgrading packages, get a new receiver, somehow doesn't quite pass my sniff test.
Will keep the DECA monies in the bank and my eye on the forum to see if/when something can be done with the R22 thing. Tks for letting an ole f..t rant.

IIRC it's because DirecTV's systems say that for MRV you need one HD DVR and at least one other HD DVR or HD receiver and 'officially' the R22 is not a HD DVR, it's a SD that can do HD. Since the system sees only one HD box on the account it says you don't qualify for MRV.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#17 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:34 AM

Sorry, this is Directv's fault. The customer should not have to research the internet to find what "script" THEY need to read from to get MRV activated on their own network instead of DECA.

Even with the "SCRIPT" provided by this forum, it still took me 3 or 4 calls to do this.

The product they provide is good, but calling them inevitably turns into a very frustrating experience very fast.

While it's a pain, since this was NEVER DirecTV's plan to use home networking, simply being able to do it shows they've made changes for users.

Sorry, but playing the fault game would have them simply turn off the option and then how would you feel?
A.K.A VOS

#18 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:14 AM

While it's a pain, since this was NEVER DirecTV's plan to use home networking, simply being able to do it shows they've made changes for users.

Sorry, but playing the fault game would have them simply turn off the option and then how would you feel?

can you imagine the posts if they original plan was stuck too.......
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#19 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:20 AM

can you imagine the posts if they original plan was stuck too.......

I can/will blame DirecTV for many things about the rollout of the Connected Home & the Whole home DVR service.
The list is long.
"BUT" to blame them for giving us a backdoor loophole that nobody was trained to exploit, so we can continue to use our unsupported home network, and the time it takes to activate, is at the bottom of this list, if even on the list.
A.K.A VOS

#20 OFFLINE   docderwood

docderwood

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:40 AM

I'm glad they decided to allow it...but......

Directv decided to allow it. They should educate their CSR's that it is an option.

I'm always impressed that people defend Directv no matter what they do.

Edited by docderwood, 23 May 2010 - 08:57 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: usb

spam firewall