Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

SWM-ing In A MRV Nightmare

usb

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,643 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:49 AM

I'm always impressed that people defend Directv no matter what they do.

And my post just above yours is "defending them"? :confused:
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:06 AM

I can/will blame DirecTV for many things about the rollout of the Connected Home & the Whole home DVR service.
The list is long.
"BUT" to blame them for giving us a backdoor loophole that nobody was trained to exploit, so we can continue to use our unsupported home network, and the time it takes to activate, is at the bottom of this list, if even on the list.

Agreed, the timing (7 days) was bad and not verifying their installers actually have the stuff was bad. installers are being put in a bad position when they don't have parts needed because someone did not order the stuff.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#23 OFFLINE   Sim-X

Sim-X

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:15 PM

There is a reason DTV has a "F" rating with BBB - I like there service but they suck when it comes to customer service. I want to upgrade my boxes to the 24's series and they want me to dish out over $850 to upgrade 4 boxes and install MRV. I just paid $500 in lease fee's last fall. I think they would cut me a fair deal, but they could care less. Whoever is sitting at the top coming up with dtv's policy's needs to be fired. When I had comcast I could have swapped out my box every week and they wouldn't have cared at all. It also sounds like it is hit or miss getting them to turn MRV video without setting up a deca install. I got lucky and they did it no questions asked through e-care. Just shows how big of idiots are in charge at DirecTV. I thought Sprint use to be bad, but they have improved greatly over the years. DirecTV wins the worst customer service award hands down at least for me.

#24 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:52 PM

There is a reason DTV has a "F" rating with BBB - I like there service but they suck when it comes to customer service. I want to upgrade my boxes to the 24's series and they want me to dish out over $850 to upgrade 4 boxes and install MRV. I just paid $500 in lease fee's last fall. I think they would cut me a fair deal, but they could care less. Whoever is sitting at the top coming up with dtv's policy's needs to be fired. When I had comcast I could have swapped out my box every week and they wouldn't have cared at all. It also sounds like it is hit or miss getting them to turn MRV video without setting up a deca install. I got lucky and they did it no questions asked through e-care. Just shows how big of idiots are in charge at DirecTV. I thought Sprint use to be bad, but they have improved greatly over the years. DirecTV wins the worst customer service award hands down at least for me.

If you dislike DTV so much, you could always go back to Comcast.

#25 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 May 2010 - 06:02 PM

I won't disagree with you that DirecTV can do a lot more when it comes to customer service. The biggest is that they need to work on training of first-line CSR's so there is a more consistent response when customers call up.

That being said, the way that DirecTV and Comcast handle their STB's are completely different. As you stated, you have only been a subscriber since last fall. DirecTV does not make a habit discounting additional receivers for new customers that soon after the initial install. Discounts are generally offered to customers that have some sort of payment history.

As for getting MRV set up without a DECA install, it is not surprising that it is hit or miss. It is an unsupported feature, thus not all, if even many of the CSR's know about it. It would be like calling a CSR if you had an issue with your eSATA, they most likely will not be able to help you with it.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#26 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 23 May 2010 - 06:06 PM

You're not going to get much help on any deals for a couple reasons:

- You've said you've only had the service since last fall, so less then one year into your two year commitment from your last receiver install.
- You have boxes that are working and will still provide all services/functions that the 24 series does, no reason to replace them.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#27 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,617 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 06:09 PM

You're not going to get much help on any deals for a couple reasons:

- You've said you've only had the service since last fall, so less then one year into your two year commitment from your last receiver install.
- You have boxes that are working and will still provide all services/functions that the 24 series does, no reason to replace them.

Agree with you that expectations need to be realistic.

Whole Home DVR Service/SWiM/DECA is not a give-away program, its an incentive program.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#28 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 23 May 2010 - 06:31 PM

Sorry, this is Directv's fault. The customer should not have to research the internet to find what "script" THEY need to read from to get MRV activated on their own network instead of DECA.

Even with the "SCRIPT" provided by this forum, it still took me 3 or 4 calls to do this.

The product they provide is good, but calling them inevitably turns into a very frustrating experience very fast.

Actually I believe the customer should have to research it on the internet, because it's an unsupported feature. Just like you have research the internet to find out about eSATA. Now, could D* have handled the calls better? Sure, but it's a lot of detail and information to handle in a short time. The first few days were brutal, but it's gotten much better. I'm just thankful they're allowing it and a few minutes of frustration on the phone is worth it, IMO.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#29 OFFLINE   topgun80

topgun80

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:34 PM

I guess I am one of the fortunate ones...On Tuesday I called up, and using Doug's "script" I got my MRV converted from "beta" to "authorized" in no more than 10 minutes...On that same call I decided to get DECA installed and made an appt for today...the installer showed up at 2:30 and was awesome..he was concerned about the signal strength and swapped out my dish with a new one..he installed a SWM16....he replaced the H20 with an H24 and the R15 with an R16....when he went to reset one of my two HR20-700s it did not work..he did not have an HR24 to swap for the HR20-700 on his truck and voluntarily agreed to pick one up and come back to install it 8am tomorrow. I did not lose any recorded programs....I am a happy camper!!

You are swapping receivers and did not lose your recordings? I was told that's impossible as all recordings are tied to the receiver that recorded them. Are you saying there is a way to retain your old recordings with a receiver swap or am I misunderstanding your post? Thanks.

#30 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:40 PM

You are swapping receivers and did not lose your recordings? I was told that's impossible as all recordings are tied to the receiver that recorded them. Are you saying there is a way to retain your old recordings with a receiver swap or am I misunderstanding your post? Thanks.

Not sure what is meant by not losing any recordings, but you cannot swap out a receiver and retain the recordings from the old receiver. Even if you are using an eSATA drive, the recordings that were made via the old receiver cannot be played back on the new receiver.

- Merg

#31 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:48 PM

waaaaa you paid $X in lease fees just like every other person out there. Unless your out of contract then they have absolutely NO reason to cut you a deal in upgrading your box's. If they cut deals for everyone all the time to upgrade box's for free then we would all see DirecTV out of business quick.
Coments like this just show how little many people understand the simple practices of running a business. They are not a Non-Protif organization btw.

Yeah with comcast they would swap out ur box every week b/c u'd be getting a refurb one that does the exact same thing as the one before. DirecTV doesn't work that way and I'm glad for it. B/c of this we get new stuff wayyyyy more than comcast and Time Warner do.

But if you like the Comcast so much then by all means go back and enjoy the lack of features they have over there while your at it.

#32 OFFLINE   marksman

marksman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 349 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:50 PM

When was the last time someone who was using windows 7 beta was able to use it?

Funny enough me today! I was futzing around with an idea to actually finally use directv2pc, but since I use a mac I was going to mess around in VMware a bit. All of this just brought back horrible memories of why I never really bothered with it. Besides not supporting multiple monitors the pretty extreme specs were always a no go for something I just wanted as a secondary box to put on a screen in an office.

Anyways, one of my old vmware setups was Windows 7 beta. I ran it by accident and it let me log in and run it just fine. It did tell me it was not genuine but other than that no problems. Struck me as a little odd.. but whatever, so to answer your question. :)

As for the OP, it seems like his real goal was to try and come up with a convoluted plan to get a couple of 24s. People get the sweet taste of giving from customer retention and they went to go to that well all the time. I have a family member who I told about customer retention a long time ago and now every time they have any issue or problem they want to go to them. I have to instruct them it is not necessary in circumstances nor is it wise.

I would say since the thing was in beta, due diligence on those who wish to keep using it would be wise. Being upset because a brand new feature brought him a tech who was not experienced with it seems a bit of an unreasonable position to take.

#33 OFFLINE   marksman

marksman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 349 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:53 PM

Sorry, this is Directv's fault. The customer should not have to research the internet to find what "script" THEY need to read from to get MRV activated on their own network instead of DECA.

Even with the "SCRIPT" provided by this forum, it still took me 3 or 4 calls to do this.

The product they provide is good, but calling them inevitably turns into a very frustrating experience very fast.

I agree that in a general sense Directv managed this very poorly.

That being said the beta and people using their own equipment was not even a supported thing and will not be supported. So people doing that have to have some knowledge and understanding to get to that point. It didn't happen accidently, and it didn't happen at the hands of any directv tech or rep.

The point being while it is clear D* handled support on this poorly, in this particular circumstance people should be required do to their own diligence given it was beta going to an unsupported set up. My problem is even with the due diligence it was a painful process.

#34 OFFLINE   topgun80

topgun80

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:01 PM

Not sure what is meant by not losing any recordings, but you cannot swap out a receiver and retain the recordings from the old receiver. Even if you are using an eSATA drive, the recordings that were made via the old receiver cannot be played back on the new receiver.

- Merg

That's what I thought but DTV needs to change that, it wouldn't cost them anything to change the software to allow playback on different receivers.

#35 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:09 PM

That's what I thought but DTV needs to change that, it wouldn't cost them anything to change the software to allow playback on different receivers.

One of the top wishlist items...

- Merg

#36 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:10 PM

Umm wrong on that. It would cost them $$ in devoting engineers/programers to spend time on adding that to the software in the box's. Which in turn would take away from other mroe important things.
Though I agree I wish they could change it, but it would cost them in the end to do so.

#37 OFFLINE   topgun80

topgun80

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:21 PM

Well it might cost them a couple hours wages for a slow programmer. I do know on the old owned DirectTivo receivers a simple script did just what we are talking about.

#38 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:27 PM

Trust me, MANY folks expressed their view on the $3/month charge to DirecTV upper management. Basically they said that other providers charge for MRV, either as a seperate charge or include it in some higher level programming packages. Since DirecTV's out there to make money and they saw others charging for the same function they decided on that $3 charge.

Frankly it's going to take DirecTV MANY months at that $3/month to make up how much they spend on installing 'Connected Home'/DECA at my home. It took a SWiM16, 7 DECA's, two power inserters and three spiltters, I've seen the SWiM16 alone running in the $300 price range.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#39 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,458 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:32 PM

I'd be interested in how many customers that aren't on this board knew the public beta existed. The average customer never goes into the menus that you had to to opt-in. More probably had their boxes connected to their network, but probably still not your average customer.

There are aspects of the MRV rollout that was badly handled (either by install contractors or DirecTV), but this was a special scenario.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: usb

spam firewall