Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MRV and DECA Setup - Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DFul4d

DFul4d

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:26 PM

So after about four hours with the technician and two hours on the phone with DirecTV, my system is still not working properly.

Here's the rundown. I had an HR20 in my living room and an HR21 in my media room. I wanted to add a dvr to the bedroom, so installer brought an HR24. Installer suggested installing HR24 in media room (since router is located in there) and move the HR21 to bedroom. He also installed SWM8 system.

As of now, the HR20 and HR21 can see each other and share recorded programs. However, neither one can connect to the internet. They are setup the same way with DECA adaptors. The HR24 can connect to the internet (CAT5 from router plugged directly into receiver), but it can't find the other DVRs in the multi-room status report.

I have tried several restarts and refreshes, but to no avail. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,629 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:30 PM

1st remove the cat5 from the HR24..
2nd it sounds like you don't have the extra deca to connect to internet..

HR24 wil NOT work as a bridge.. it's deca OR cat5 NOT both

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#3 OFFLINE   Blurayfan

Blurayfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,745 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:30 PM

So after about four hours with the technician and two hours on the phone with DirecTV, my system is still not working properly.

Here's the rundown. I had an HR20 in my living room and an HR21 in my media room. I wanted to add a dvr to the bedroom, so installer brought an HR24. Installer suggested installing HR24 in media room (since router is located in there) and move the HR21 to bedroom. He also installed SWM 8 system.

As of now, the HR20 and HR21 can see each other and share recorded programs. However, neither one can connect to the internet. They are setup the same way with DECA adaptors. The HR24 can connect to the internet (CAT5 from router plugged directly into receiver), but it can't find the other DVRs in the multi-room status report.

Thanks.

1. Connecting an ethernet cord to the HR24 disables DECA so the other receivers on DECA can't be seen.
2. The installer should run or connect an existing cable to a DECA adapter hooked to the router and SWM.

Slimlin-5 with SWM16
HR44-700 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 3.0 TB
HR24-500 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 2.0 TB
HR21-700 with DECA adapter for network
Network: Netgear WNDR4500
Internet: Comcast 105/20

#4 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,629 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:31 PM

if you unhook the cat5 from the hr24 and reboot you should at least have MRV on all of them

#5 OFFLINE   mikeny

mikeny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:32 PM

Here's the rundown. I had an HR20 in my living room and an HR21 in my media room. I wanted to add a dvr to the bedroom, so installer brought an HR24. Installer suggested installing HR24 in media room (since router is located in there) and move the HR21 to bedroom. He also installed SWM 8 system.

Thanks.

The HR24 is not hooked up right. It has built in DECA modules and the rationale to put it near your router was wrong because it's not supposed to be hooked up to your router. There's should be an additional coax run from your SWM8 to your router for a DECA connection and a 18 volt PI.
SL3 SWM, 3 HR24-500s, H25-500, DECA

#6 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:33 PM

1. Remove the Ethernet cable from HR24 and restart. It will now see the DECA-attached HR20 and HR21.
2. The installer didn't install a 'Broadband DECA', which is another DECA adapter with a power supply, which bridges between the coax network and the Ethernet network. (And once you have that installed, you have to restart all the receivers so they're properly connected to the router/internet.)

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

#7 OFFLINE   DFul4d

DFul4d

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:35 PM

You guys are awesome! Thanks! I have an extra line connection in my media room because I used to have dual tuners with no SWM system. Just to confirm, I need to unplug the CAT5 from the HR24, and then attach a Broadband DECA adaptor to the extra line and plug that into the router?

#8 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,629 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:36 PM

You guys are awesome! Thanks! I have an extra line connection in my media room because I used to have dual tuners with no SWM system. Just to confirm, I need to unplug the CAT5 from the HR24, and then attach a DECA adaptor to the extra line and plug that into the router?

yep
and a PI for deca to power it

#9 OFFLINE   Blurayfan

Blurayfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,745 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:38 PM

You guys are awesome! Thanks! I have an extra line connection in my media room because I used to have dual tuners with no SWM system. Just to confirm, I need to unplug the CAT5 from the HR24, and then attach a Broadband DECA adaptor to the extra line and plug that into the router?

Correct, just need to add a power supply to the DECA that's connected to the router.

Slimlin-5 with SWM16
HR44-700 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 3.0 TB
HR24-500 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 2.0 TB
HR21-700 with DECA adapter for network
Network: Netgear WNDR4500
Internet: Comcast 105/20

#10 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:47 PM

And attach the other end of the second coax run to the SWM splitter. ;)

The installer could also just put a two-way splitter at the end of the HR24's coax and feed both HR24 and DECA.

The 'Broadband DECA' today is just another DECA adapter like on your HR20 and HR21, with a power supply instead of a receiver connected to the pigtail, coax to the SWM splitter connected to the F-connecter, and the Ethernet cable connected to the router. There will be a 'prettier' version eventually.

spam firewall