Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What are the current Best Deals for a new DTV sub

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:18 AM

I'm about to refer a neighbor to Directv. He asked me to research what the best deal was for a new subscriber, and asked if I had any tips to get the best deal. His needs will involve at least one HD-DVR and 2 other TVs (1 SD and 1 or 2 HD)

So far I know to tell him:
  • about Refer a Friend ($100 to him and me)- I'm a sub since 2002.
  • to ask for an HR24
  • and I'll be recommending that he get Whole Home DVR.
Anything else I should advise him before he orders? What could he expect to pay for the first year?

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,890 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:23 AM

I believe if you go thru the refer a friend program he'll have to go with a specific programming package. I'm not 100% sure on the requirements.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:31 AM

I believe if you go thru the refer a friend program he'll have to go with a specific programming package. I'm not 100% sure on the requirements.

Really? I was going to tell him to arrange a deal, THEN ask them to apply the Refer a Friend.

#4 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,890 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:55 AM

Really? I was going to tell him to arrange a deal, THEN ask them to apply the Refer a Friend.

Can't be done. He has to call a specific number to use the refer a friend and there is only one package he can sign up for.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#5 OFFLINE   PA GIANTS FAN

PA GIANTS FAN

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts
  • LocationFrackville PA

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:11 AM

The deal they would most likely get is $29 off which ever package they chose and a free HDdvr & HD rec. and 2 other rec. and free install

#6 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:19 PM

There is a very specific phone number and process that must be used for the Refer a Friend program. If you don't go that route, they will not apply the Refer a Friend.

#7 OFFLINE   xmetalx

xmetalx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:24 PM

In regards to the Customer Referral Program...

You have to call (866) 443-8869 and let them know you are being referred by an existing customer, and you MUST have their account #, phone #, last name and zip code at the time of ordering.
DirecTV employee since 2008
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

There's no place like ~/

#8 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:27 PM

to ask for an HR24

You'd just be wasting your breath. DirecTV does not offer receivers by model number (HR24), only by type (HD-DVR). You get what the tech has on his truck that day.

A CSR may promise that you'll get something, and they may note the account, but those account notes are meaningless, because the tech's work order will still just say "HD-DVR" and he'll still just pull out whichever model he has that day.

Don't set false expectations for people, as you're just setting them up to be disappointed.

#9 OFFLINE   BobbyK

BobbyK

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:37 PM

Here is what a friend of mine got yesterday.
CHOICE ULTIMATE $68.99
hd $10
dvr hr23 $7.00
h20 $5.00
free sho and strz 3 months
Less:

$29.00 off the first year and $14.00 off the 2nd year.
free hd [$10] for 6 month
$10 off for friend for 10 months and we both got this.
The $10 off for hd started yesterday. Don't know how long it will last.

#10 OFFLINE   Rocko62580

Rocko62580

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 02:52 PM

Can't be done. He has to call a specific number to use the refer a friend and there is only one package he can sign up for.

That's not true. I got all the AAA discounts, new customer discounts, as well as the refer a friend. It took a good two days work of rep roulette games though.

#11 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:29 PM

This is all good info and tips. Thanks to all and keep on giving good advice!

#12 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 24 May 2010 - 05:15 PM

That's not true. I got all the AAA discounts, new customer discounts, as well as the refer a friend. It took a good two days work of rep roulette games though.

Sure you may get it to work if you are persistent enough, its just much much easier for all if people just follow the directions...no one should expect to get all the discounts if they try to shortcut the process D* has in place. Personally wasting two days to get it done seems ridiculous to me.

#13 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,890 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 06:14 PM

Sure you may get it to work if you are persistent enough, its just much much easier for all if people just follow the directions...no one should expect to get all the discounts if they try to shortcut the process D* has in place. Personally wasting two days to get it done seems ridiculous to me.

I could not have said that any better myself. :)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#14 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,230 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:56 PM

I'm about to refer a neighbor to Directv. He asked me to research what the best deal was for a new subscriber, and asked if I had any tips to get the best deal. His needs will involve at least one HD-DVR and 2 other TVs (1 SD and 1 or 2 HD)

So far I know to tell him:

• about Refer a Friend ($100 to him and me)- I'm a sub since 2002.
  • to ask for an HR24
  • and I'll be recommending that he get Whole Home DVR.
Anything else I should advise him before he orders? What could he expect to pay for the first year?

Thanks!

go all hd boxes and don't get any sd boxes you pay the same rent / mirroring anyway so get all hd.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#15 OFFLINE   MycroftHolmes

MycroftHolmes

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:11 PM

Yeah. Some people. I bet he tries to cheat car dealers too by paying less than sticker price.

#16 OFFLINE   Rocko62580

Rocko62580

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:37 AM

Yeah. Some people. I bet he tries to cheat car dealers too by paying less than sticker price.

LOL!

#17 OFFLINE   HerntDawg

HerntDawg

Legend

• Registered
  • 242 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:01 AM

I bet there is a website everyone can go to to cheat D* also......

If you have a car dealer cheat website let us know.

#18 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 25 May 2010 - 06:52 PM

go all hd boxes and don't get any sd boxes you pay the same rent / mirroring anyway so get all hd.

They won't install an HD box on an SD TV set. If you want all HD receivers, you'd better borrow a bunch of HDTV sets for when the installer arrives! ;)

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#19 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:41 PM

They won't install an HD box on an SD TV set. If you want all HD receivers, you'd better borrow a bunch of HDTV sets for when the installer arrives! ;)

That's no longer the case. Even though the tech is still held responsible (financially and otherwise) if the customer creates a service call for an SDTV-related issue, techs are not allowed to refuse to hook up HD equipment to SDTVs, though if the TV doesn't have line inputs, you're out of luck unless you buy an RF modulator for it. HD receivers don't have coax outputs.

#20 OFFLINE   ibmman69

ibmman69

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:37 PM

@ Rocko62580

Do you have the contact info for the CSR who helped you? Which number did you call?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...