Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

De-authorized R-15 question?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,166 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:15 AM

Hey folks;

I realize I should know this already and it has certainly been asked before, but I don't know and do not feel like searching the archives for it :).

So briefly can the R15s play back pre-recorded programs though de-authorized like the DTIVOs can?

Got an MRV install scheduled for Tuesday which requires SWM of course which means all my legacy R15s have to be swapped out for R16s or R22s.

However some here have a lot of shows on their current R15s and retention who setup the MRV upgrade deal said that if I talk to the installer(s) they may be able to leave the old R15s behind since they are legacy and essentially obsolete being replaced in the inventory by all SWM capable units for new installs.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,649 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:37 AM

I'm pretty sure that all of the newer non-Tivo DVRs must be authorized to play back their recordings. They might even require an active satellite connection, but I'm not sure about the R15. Someone else here will certainly know for sure.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 ONLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,011 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:58 AM

If you disconnect the R15 from the dish before it is deactivated, you should have access to your recordings for a limited period of time (a few days to a couple of weeks). Eventually the R15 will need re-authorization which it won't get, and you will no longer be able to get to the recordings.

#4 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 May 2010 - 06:07 AM

I have an R15 that I had deactivated and had disconnected prior to deactivating. It's been that way for a while and I can still watch shows that I had recorded it on it.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#5 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 25 May 2010 - 06:06 PM

I have an R15 that I had deactivated and had disconnected prior to deactivating. It's been that way for a while and I can still watch shows that I had recorded it on it.

- Merg

Old R15 software let you watch recordings forever. So did the R22. But not anymore. As I recall the "refresh required" routine began right around the time that PPV movies were deleted after 24 hours so maybe it's some kind of copyright baloney.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#6 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 714 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:49 PM

After a year of deactivating my R15 (which was 2 years ago), I could not watch recorded programs anymore. I took the 160gig drive and put it in a SD TiVo where I could watch recorded programs forever.

11 DirecTV HD-DVR's including a Genie and GenieGO

#7 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:06 PM

After a year of deactivating my R15 (which was 2 years ago), I could not watch recorded programs anymore. I took the 160gig drive and put it in a SD TiVo where I could watch recorded programs forever.

TiVo lets you watch recorded programs...forever? Even if you discontinue their "service" which in reality is a DVR fee since all you get for your money is a program guide which you can get on the web for free.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#8 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 714 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:59 PM

Yes. Works as long as the unit powers up. PM me for more details. You may be surprised.

11 DirecTV HD-DVR's including a Genie and GenieGO

#9 ONLINE   PHL

PHL

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:27 PM

Yes. Works as long as the unit powers up. PM me for more details. You may be surprised.

I have a DTivo that I deactivated about 10 days ago. I upgraded to HD boxes, so I put it up for sale on Craigslist.

It booted up and showed the playlist. I successfully played a couple of shows, but then it became non-responsive. I tried to restart it up, but I got an error message saying "A serious error has occurred." It said to leave it connected to a phone line for 3 hours or something. I sold it to someone, but he wasn't able to get it activated by D*, and they didn't have a landline. He's bringing the unit back right now.

Is this normal behavior? Does the box need to be hooked to a sat line (even if unauthorized)? If I hook it up to a landline, will it repair the "Serious error"? or is this thing a boat anchor now.
HR34 Living Room
HR24-500 Office
HR24-500 Bedroom
Whole Home DVR enabled :)

#10 ONLINE   PHL

PHL

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:01 PM

I have a DTivo that I deactivated about 10 days ago. I upgraded to HD boxes, so I put it up for sale on Craigslist.

It booted up and showed the playlist. I successfully played a couple of shows, but then it became non-responsive. I tried to restart it up, but I got an error message saying "A serious error has occurred." It said to leave it connected to a phone line for 3 hours or something. I sold it to someone, but he wasn't able to get it activated by D*, and they didn't have a landline. He's bringing the unit back right now.

Is this normal behavior? Does the box need to be hooked to a sat line (even if unauthorized)? If I hook it up to a landline, will it repair the "Serious error"? or is this thing a boat anchor now.

Never mind. I googled the issue, and it appears that I've got the GSOD (Green Screen of Death). Funny, it was working fine right up until I replaced it (as far as I know). However, it was in a spare room and was infrequently (aside from the season passes recording.
HR34 Living Room
HR24-500 Office
HR24-500 Bedroom
Whole Home DVR enabled :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...