Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Does DECA have to be at router, or can it go with a switch?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   micky76ag

micky76ag

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:19 AM

Sorry for what is probably a repeat question. I've tried searching this forum, but can't find the definitive answer.

I'm trying to figure out if the installer will have to run coax from my multiswitch to the room where my internet router resides (going to be a tough run, I think).

My current set-up is:

Slim-line 5 lnb (four coax runs) to:

x8 multiswitch (six coax runs) to:

Three receivers (HR20-700, HR22-100, and HR22-100), two lines each (each in different room).

ATT Uverse router (not in same room with any of the TVs) -- Cat5e to:

8 port switch in attic (three Cat 5e runs) to:

A four port switch in each TV room (1 cat5e) run to:

Each of the HRs.

This set-up worked great for MRV Beta and works well for all other internet/network DirecTV functions.

If I go to DECA, I know I will have to have a new LNB and a new multiswitch for the SWiM -- but those will not require any new coax runs (I assume) -- they will just use one of the existing two runs to each receiver.

I also understand that each receiver will need a DECA.

But, the router also needs a DECA, too (with a power supply?), correct?

Does that DECA and power supply have to be directly connected to the router (in same room) or could it be located with the 8-port switch in the attic?

Edited by micky76ag, 23 May 2010 - 11:31 AM.

Micky
Denon AVR-2308CI Receiver, Slingbox Solo

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ken984

Ken984

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:22 AM

It can go anywhere you have a live ethernet connection.

Sorry for what is probably a repeat question. I've tried searching this forum, but can't find the definitive answer.

I'm trying to figure out if the installer will have to run coax from my multiswitch to the room where my internet router resides (going to be a tough run, I think).

My current set-up is:

Slim-line 5 lnb (four coax runs) to:

x8 multiswitch (six coax runs) to:

Three receivers (HR20-700, HR22-100, and HR22-100), two lines each (each in different room).

ATT Uverse router (not in same room with any of the TVs) -- Cat5e to:

8 port switch in attic (three Cat 5e runs) to:

A four port switch in each TV room (1 cat5e) run to:

Each of the HRs.

This set-up worked great for MRV Beta and works well for all other internet/network DirecTV functions.

If I go to DECA, I know I will have to have a new LNB and a new multiswitch for the SWM -- but those will not require any new coax runs (I assume) -- they will just use one of the existing two runs to each receiver.

I also understand that each receiver will need a DECA.

But, the router also needs a DECA, too (with a power supply?), correct?

Does that DECA and power supply have to be directly connected to the router (in same room) or could it be located with the 8-port switch in the attic?

Samsung 65-es6550-HR44-700-Denon AVR-2311CI, XBOX360, Win Media Center 7, Samsung BD-D6500

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,954 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:23 AM

SWiM uses less coax since one will work for both tuners in a DVR.
This should free up one of them for your DECA to internet and "all it needs to do is" connect to your home network.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   micky76ag

micky76ag

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:29 AM

Thanks!

So, in sounds like the "router'" DECA could even go with one of the four port switches in the TV rooms and use one of the now spare coax runs from the multiswitch?
Micky
Denon AVR-2308CI Receiver, Slingbox Solo

#5 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:34 AM

yep, since MRV traffic (the major load on ethernet) is all handled inside the deca connections, it's not so critical where it hooks up..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

Protected By... spam firewall...And...