Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Will DirecTv ever add Cox Sports to its lineup?

on demand

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   JimAtTheRez

JimAtTheRez

Legend

• Registered
  • 227 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:47 PM

It's actually a terrible article and filled with so many holes.....don't get me started. That author once made a claim in a 2003 article that the vast majority of his friends (over 72%) couldn't get DIRECTV due to line of site issues. I began to wonder where all of his buddies lived....the forest? He has also claimed time and again that DIRECTV has a monopoly on this without properly stating this package was open to other MSO's who C H O S E not to bid on it.

And yes, DISH has Cox Sports, but they don't have YES Network...another RSN.

Of course the other irony here is that Cox, which owns the rights to the Padres in San Diego, doesn't allow DISH or DIRECTV to carry those games.

Thanks Satracer. This sounds much like the CSS situation (jointly owned by Comcast and Charter) where they will not allow Dish or D* to carry them. I really, really miss not having that channel in SEC country where ESPN has farmed out some (at least a very small part) of their fat contract to CSS, and the SEC office allows CSS to broadcast part of the SEC baseball tournament.

“The problem with quotes from the internet is that you cannot always verify the authenticity.”

---------Abraham Lincoln

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Islandguy43

Islandguy43

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:52 AM

Canned response #142.

I think they borrowed that canned response from Dishnetwork, whom use it for YES and the MSG's HDs.
Just give me the Sabres and Yankees in HD.

#43 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 04:30 PM

I think they borrowed that canned response from Dishnetwork, whom use it for YES and the MSG's HDs.

Are you telling me that I shouldn't hold my breath waiting for the President of DirecTv to call me concerning the issue?

#44 OFFLINE   jquaglino

jquaglino

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 04:56 PM

I got the information from email exchanges with CST back when the deal fell through in October 2008.

#45 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 05:39 PM

I got the information from email exchanges with CST back when the deal fell through in October 2008.

Where do you live on the North Shore?

#46 OFFLINE   jquaglino

jquaglino

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 02:50 PM

I live in Metairie. I still have DirecTV but I'm reaching the end of my tolerance for not adding the channel. I've got two boys that are sports fanatics and we enjoy watching the Hornets. We can usually get the games over the internet but would rather watch them on TV. ATT's Uverse just rolled out in the area. I'm waiting to see if they will carry CST. If they do, it may be cheaper to switch everything over to them! If not, I will probably switch to Dish before next football/basketball season. I can save $10 a month with Dish and get the channel we miss.

#47 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 03:22 PM

The day cox is on d is the day csn philly is on d both channels have been protected by the loophole which was closed by the fcc. We will see what negotiations happen.

The nfl sunday ticket n direct tv are 2 different companies, both agreed to join to offer exclusive rights on d. Once the contract is up as it was a few years ago cable companies can get the ticket, it all depends how much the nfl will charge them.

#48 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 11:27 AM

The day cox is on d is the day csn philly is on d both channels have been protected by the loophole which was closed by the fcc. We will see what negotiations happen.

The nfl sunday ticket n direct tv are 2 different companies, both agreed to join to offer exclusive rights on d. Once the contract is up as it was a few years ago cable companies can get the ticket, it all depends how much the nfl will charge them.

I hope you get CSN Philly as well.

#49 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:37 PM

Cox sports is going to broadcasting LSU in the Baseball Regional in Los Angeles. Thanks for nothing DirecTv.

#50 OFFLINE   JimAtTheRez

JimAtTheRez

Legend

• Registered
  • 227 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:34 AM

Cox sports is going to broadcasting LSU in the Baseball Regional in Los Angeles. Thanks for nothing DirecTv.

Hey geaux, maybe one of your local affiliates will pick it up. I know in the past when LSU has played at Ole Miss one of the Jackson, MS locals picked up the Cox broadcast here. BTW, good luck to your Tigers.....man, are they playing well now when it counts. I was in Hoover Saturday, and it was not pretty through my red and blue glasses.

“The problem with quotes from the internet is that you cannot always verify the authenticity.”

---------Abraham Lincoln

#51 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:51 PM

Hey geaux, maybe one of your local affiliates will pick it up. I know in the past when LSU has played at Ole Miss one of the Jackson, MS locals picked up the Cox broadcast here. BTW, good luck to your Tigers.....man, are they playing well now when it counts. I was in Hoover Saturday, and it was not pretty through my red and blue glasses.

Good luck to the Rebels as well. The SEC is the best conference for football and baseball. Now lets go out and show the nation. I should be able to watch the game using a Slingbox that I have access to. However, DirecTv should cut a deal with Cox so I can watch it on my 61 inch HDTV. I wish I could have been in Hoover but I was in Omaha last year.

#52 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:07 PM

Watched the Tiger / Anteater game on Cox Sports on my computer using a Slingbox that was hooked up to a Cable Box in Baton Rouge. I had to watch it on a 17 inch computer screen versus my HDTVs 61 inch screen because DirecTv does not offer this channel. Great game as the Anteaters gave LSU everything they could handle.

I found out why this game was carried on Cox Sports rather than ESPN. UCLA / Jackie Robinson Park sucks and ESPN would not broadcast the game because of inadequate lighting at the ball park. UCLA needs to get their act together. You name a park after baseball great Jackie Robinson and its a dump. Additionally, the park only seats 1,200 people. Surely, Los Angeles has a better park than this.

Enough of a rant. DirecTv give us Cox Sports.

#53 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,648 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:52 AM

Cox Sports may have hope.... last I heard from Cox NOLA, DirecTV had pretty much agreed on terms of carrige last year but was trying to leverage the situation by not adding NOLA unless they could get SD to provide access to the Padres. With this out of the way, hopefully Cox NOLA is soon.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ight=cox sports

#54 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:29 PM

I want Cox Sports in Shreveport over my DirecTv. Bossier has it on Cox Cable so they should hopefully provide it for the Northwest Louisiana and hopefully the entire State.

#55 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:52 PM

Any new news now that DirecTv is adding other regional sport programing?

#56 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,913 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:55 PM

Any new news now that DirecTv is adding other regional sport programing?

No. You'll see it on the appropriate thread when there is news.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#57 OFFLINE   jcc

jcc

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:05 PM

Being a fan of the SB champ Saints, I wish they would carry it as they carry all their preseason games but I know NFL Network carries all preseason games from all teams whether they are live or delayed.

#58 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:01 PM

Being a fan of the SB champ Saints, I wish they would carry it as they carry all their preseason games but I know NFL Network carries all preseason games from all teams whether they are live or delayed.

They carry a lot more than just the Saints. If you like SEC Sports then they offer a lot of that as well.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: on demand

spam firewall