Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

can a primestar customer keep their package but just get new receivers?

service contract

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:05 PM

A friends family has had the same setup/old receivers etc for many years. One of the receivers is really flaky and it may be time for a new one soon. I just was wondering, upon switching out of receivers will they mandate a new programming package be chosen or will they just swap out receivers and not touch the programming?
57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
Tivo Premiere
Panasonic E80 Dvd recorder
HR10-250 63 hrs w/DB8 antenna (parts :))
1/2 full Sony T60 (historical value)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:11 PM

A friends family has had the same setup/old receivers etc for many years. One of the receivers is really flaky and it may be time for a new one soon. I just was wondering, upon switching out of receivers will they mandate a new programming package be chosen or will they just swap out receivers and not touch the programming?

Usually the hardware and programming are two seperate items. They should be able to get the hardware replaced without a programaming package change. Ther are a few exceptions such as adding Deca to certain legacy Choice plus progamming packages.

Bob

#3 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 04:33 PM

ok cool...and i think it's safe to say that if they want HD they definitely have to get a newer package? (and of course will lose their DNS which they should have years ago)
57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
Tivo Premiere

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:03 PM

ok cool...and i think it's safe to say that if they want HD they definitely have to get a newer package? (and of course will lose their DNS which they should have years ago)

Almost certainly correct on that one.

#5 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:24 PM

To get HD, they just have to add "HD access" to their account at $10/month which will turn on the HD versions (if there is one) of all the channels in their current package... plus of course they would have to get an HD compatible dish and receivers, but no programing package change should be necessary.

#6 OFFLINE   naijai

naijai

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:09 AM

To get HD, they just have to add "HD access" to their account at $10/month which will turn on the HD versions (if there is one) of all the channels in their current package... plus of course they would have to get an HD compatible dish and receivers, but no programing package change should be necessary.

Also if a primestar customer wants to change to hd, there are additional changes that will have to be made so make sure you specify what kind of equipment you want
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
Winston Churchill

DIRECTV employee since May 2003.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views DO NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#7 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:30 AM

Primestar Converted Rental accounts (PCR) can get the rcvrs that they currently have replaced with a rcvr of the same type. IE A standard rcvr (like for instance an RCA 430) replaced with a standard RCVR, like a D11-500. To get a DVR or HD you would need to have your account converted to a Primestar Converted Owned account (PCO) and then you could order advanced rcvrs. The conversion changes the rental fees and the additional rcvr fees on the account as well as the system coverage.
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#8 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 685 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:50 AM

I thought Primestar customers were all converted to DirecTV back in 1999. As I recall, D* bought Primestar just to shut it down and convert their customers. I was rather annoyed at the time, annoyed enough to switch to Dish Network for a few years until they annoyed me more than any provider ever has and I came back to DirecTV. Has Primestar still been operating all this time?

#9 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:53 AM

I thought Primestar customers were all converted to DirecTV back in 1999. As I recall, D* bought Primestar just to shut it down and convert their customers. I was rather annoyed at the time, annoyed enough to switch to Dish Network for a few years until they annoyed me more than any provider ever has and I came back to DirecTV. Has Primestar still been operating all this time?

Directv bought Primestar, and all accounts were converted to Directv accounts. they are listed as Primestar converted accounts and get special deals for being converted

#10 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:19 AM

I have seen primestar dishes around town and always thought they were defunct. Huh.

#11 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:24 AM

I have seen primestar dishes around town and always thought they were defunct. Huh.

they are defunct.

#12 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 07:01 AM

I found out some more info..they are now on total choice plus with 2 receivers and they pay 14 a month for DNS and the total bill is about 83 bucks. I think their protection plan is 3.

when they created an online account it said total choice plus locals is 61, choice is 59, choice extra is 64, choice ultimate is 69

by my calculations she could pay

64 for extra
5 DVR
5 extra receiver
6% tax

so she would actually save. Are my calculations on the money or am i forgetting something? I'm assuming they would give her 2 SD dvrs free and what are they giving out these days? And would their be a new contract, not that they are going anywhere.
57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
Tivo Premiere

#13 OFFLINE   naijai

naijai

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 01:54 PM

I found out some more info..they are now on total choice plus with 2 receivers and they pay 14 a month for DNS and the total bill is about 83 bucks. I think their protection plan is 3.

when they created an online account it said total choice plus locals is 61, choice is 59, choice extra is 64, choice ultimate is 69

by my calculations she could pay

64 for extra
5 DVR
5 extra receiver
6% tax

so she would actually save. Are my calculations on the money or am i forgetting something? I'm assuming they would give her 2 SD dvrs free and what are they giving out these days? And would their be a new contract, not that they are going anywhere.

There will be a change by swithching to lease receivers
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
Winston Churchill

DIRECTV employee since May 2003.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views DO NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#14 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,426 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 30 May 2010 - 03:01 PM

Primestar now thats a blast from the bast

JACK,

#15 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 06:53 AM

interesting..out of the blue my friend got a letter saying they would send her all new SD receivers free/no commitment. Other HD offers 'may be available' for her account.

I'm guessing this means there is no plan to upgrade everyone to HD receivers eventually, otherwise why offer her SD stuff free. She still may get HD if they will give it to her free
57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
Tivo Premiere

#16 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 07:51 AM

my friend called for the free SD upgrade and they are coming out tomorrow and giving her one DVR and one standard receiver. I reminded her that DVRs need 2 wires. Currently the dish is on the ground on a pole about 50 ft from the house and 2 wires run from the dish thru a pipe into the house and each receiver gets one wire

will they just install a multiswitch inside to make the DVR work, then run a 2nd line to the DVR? I'm assuming it would be a free switch? I just want to make sure she doesnt get charged for anything.

Edited by newsposter, 26 June 2010 - 08:20 AM.

57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
Tivo Premiere

#17 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:53 AM

Does your friend get local channels from DirecTV, and does she have a second dish for local channels? If so, then they're upgrading her system because her local channels are moving to one of the Ka/Ku satellites sometime in the next six months. I don't know how that will affect any PCR accounts.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#18 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 10:55 AM

she has DNS and they havent shut them off yet..are those the locals you are talking about?
57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
Tivo Premiere

#19 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 04:18 PM

If the current dish only has two outputs (standard dish for just 101) then a multiswitch can be used to provide signals to the extra tuners. For a dish with 4 outputs (the older Ph III) then they will need to add the other two lines from the dish for the receivers. If more than four tuners need signals then a multiswitch (4x6) will be used.

Primestar now thats a blast from the bast

As is USSB!
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#20 OFFLINE   Talos4

Talos4

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:58 AM

Directv bought Primestar, and all accounts were converted to Directv accounts. they are listed as Primestar converted accounts and get special deals for being converted

Yep, I'm one of those customers and have held on to my TC+ since the conversion, and through many upgrades over the last 10+ yrs.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...