Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MRV do it yourself?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   IceMutiny

IceMutiny

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:14 PM

I currently have my system ethernet wired and was part of the beta. However, if I wanted to do this the right way, it that possible without having D* come out? I already have a SWM so it sounds like all I really need is the DECA components, the filter and the power supply. Is there a way that I can purchase these items and hook them up myself? Seems silly for me to pay $149 for something I can do in about 30 minutes.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Blurayfan

Blurayfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,745 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:25 PM

I currently have my system ethernet wired and was part of the beta. However, if I wanted to do this the right way, it that possible without having D* come out? I already have a SWM so it sounds like all I really need is the DECA components, the filter and the power supply. Is there a way that I can purchase these items and hook them up myself? Seems silly for me to pay $149 for something I can do in about 30 minutes.

Yes you can do it yourself by purchasing the parts needed from www.solidsignal.com. However the $149 price for DirecTV to do it is a better deal than DIY. The DECA adapters sell for $39.99 each, the power supply for the DECA used for broadband access sells for $19.99.

Edited by Blurayfan, 23 May 2010 - 08:31 PM.

Slimlin-5 with SWM16
HR44-700 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 3.0 TB
HR24-500 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 2.0 TB
HR21-700 with DECA adapter for network
Network: Netgear WNDR4500
Internet: Comcast 105/20

#3 OFFLINE   IceMutiny

IceMutiny

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:30 PM

Thanks for the info. Didn't realize those things cost that much. Definitely would cost most to go that route. Bummer.

#4 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,379 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:39 PM

Thanks for the info. Didn't realize those things cost that much. Definitely would cost most to go that route. Bummer.

Why is it a "bummer"? It costs less to order the upgrade from DirecTV and they'll come do the work, too.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#5 OFFLINE   IceMutiny

IceMutiny

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:50 PM

Because I work a schedule that is difficult to schedule around because it changes regularly. It would be much easier for me to order the parts and hook them up myself at my convenience. And, I've never had a great deal of success with the installers in my area. But for the number of DECA units I would need, purchasing them individually would be very high cost compared to going the Directv route.

It's also a "bummer" to know that I have to spend $149 + $3 per month for something that I was just using a few days ago without issue.

Edited by IceMutiny, 23 May 2010 - 09:00 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,642 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:10 PM

It's also a "bummer" to know that I have to spend $149 + $3 per month for something that I was just using a few days ago without issue.

Using with the knowledge that it was a limited time "free" beta that would expire.

You can still use your current MRV setup and just pay the $3 per month for MRV - albeit, unsupported.

#7 OFFLINE   wcr

wcr

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:10 PM

Because I work a schedule that is difficult to schedule around because it changes regularly. It would be much easier for me to order the parts and hook them up myself at my convenience. And, I've never had a great deal of success with the installers in my area. But for the number of DECA units I would need, purchasing them individually would be very high cost compared to going the Directv route.

Your other option is the unsupported route, where they activate the MRV with your existing network connection. The downside is that any MRV problems could be attributed to your network hardware, which DTV won't support.

I'm in the same boat with scheduling, and just had the the upgrade completed. Aside from some scheduling problems, the tech was very good about getting the installation done quickly and with minimal disruption.

I opted for this as I could have my wife call in for support if I wasn't home. It didn't hurt to get a receiver upgrade for the same price. :D

#8 OFFLINE   IceMutiny

IceMutiny

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:16 PM

Using with the knowledge that it was a limited time "free" beta that would expire.

Of course, I did realize that. What I didn't realize is that they would completely change the setup that would require such a high fee to re-enable. The $3 I was expecting, the $149 I was not.

I'll probably try the unsupported route since I recently upgraded my home network. Things were running great that way. I just normally prefer to set things up the right way when possible.

#9 OFFLINE   Satchaser

Satchaser

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:02 AM

I'll probably try the unsupported route since I recently upgraded my home network. Things were running great that way. I just normally prefer to set things up the right way when possible.

I too am using Wireless/hardwired mix. I opted for the "unsupported" setup. I am using a Netgear dual band N/a,b router. It was necessary to go through a complete reconfigure to get things optimal. Set all of the receivers/dvrs to default settings (DHCP) so that the Ip addresses don't get assigned twice. I discovered that I had misconfigured some IP's (or the router did). Once I obtained connections, I set up static IP's. and all is working well.

Be sure if you are using a dual band router that you are using 802.11n as you will need the 5+ mhz bandwidth. Also the security settings that you are currently using may be preventing connections.

Good luck

Satchaser

D*TV since "94
HR20-700 -->Sony 50"
HR44-200-->Hitachi 50" LCD, HDMI
H21-100-->Panasonic 32 inch LCD, HDMI
HR23-700-->Panasonic CRT

Whole Home -- Deca, wired CCK 

#10 OFFLINE   2dogz

2dogz

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:20 PM

I too am using Wireless/hardwired mix. I opted for the "unsupported" setup. I am using a Netgear dual band N/a,b router. It was necessary to go through a complete reconfigure to get things optimal. Set all of the receivers/dvrs to default settings (DHCP) so that the Ip addresses don't get assigned twice. I discovered that I had misconfigured some IP's (or the router did). Once I obtained connections, I set up static IP's. and all is working well.

Be sure if you are using a dual band router that you are using 802.11n as you will need the 5+ mhz bandwidth. Also the security settings that you are currently using may be preventing connections.

Good luck

Nowhere does OP mention using wireless or having a problem with IP addresses. You really ought to slow down so as to increase your reading comprehension. Or switch to decaf. :)

Directv since 1997
2x HR21-100 2x HR22-100 1x HR20-700R
Sony Sat T60 Tivo Still Truckin'
AU9 WB616 OTA: Channel Master CM4221

#11 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,902 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:40 PM

While some folks have been successful, wireless really should not be used for MRV. It is inherently unreliable and could result in a much more frustrating experience for most people. If you're using it and happy with it, more power to you, but really, it's not the right solution. Minimum should be wired and if feasible, DECA.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#12 OFFLINE   Satchaser

Satchaser

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:30 PM

Nowhere does OP mention using wireless or having a problem with IP addresses. You really ought to slow down so as to increase your reading comprehension. Or switch to decaf. :)

Thanks 2dogz, I had 3 cups of joe this morning and at my age I forget to put my glasses on. Will read more carefully from now on (may be a week later before I remember to reply:lol:

Satchaser

D*TV since "94
HR20-700 -->Sony 50"
HR23-700-->Panasonic CRT

#13 OFFLINE   Satchaser

Satchaser

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:33 PM

While some folks have been successful, wireless really should not be used for MRV. It is inherently unreliable and could result in a much more frustrating experience for most people. If you're using it and happy with it, more power to you, but really, it's not the right solution. Minimum should be wired and if feasible, DECA.

I totally agree, but the monthly SS check does not support it particularly since I purchased 3 Wet610N adapters several months ago. I am able to get it to work pretty darned well with trick play included. Certainly not for the faint of heart. ;)

Satchaser

D*TV since "94
HR20-700 -->Sony 50"
HR23-700-->Panasonic CRT

#14 OFFLINE   bjamin82

bjamin82

Godfather

• Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:49 PM

I am using the Netgear XAV101 Powerline adapters. Work great, no issues what so ever.

#15 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,902 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 24 May 2010 - 04:00 PM

I am using the Netgear XAV101 Powerline adapters. Work great, no issues what so ever.

If this works and you're happy .. Great! don't change. Anyone looking for what to get .. First Choice, DECA - second choice, wired Ethernet. Any other choice has a high likelihood of resulting in dissatisfaction. There is a relatively small number of folks that fall into the category of success, but if you've gotta buy something, why not buy DECA .. It's the best solution for this problem.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#16 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,782 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 24 May 2010 - 04:54 PM

If this works and you're happy .. Great! don't change. Anyone looking for what to get .. First Choice, DECA - second choice, wired Ethernet. Any other choice has a high likelihood of resulting in dissatisfaction. There is a relatively small number of folks that fall into the category of success, but if you've gotta buy something, why not buy DECA .. It's the best solution for this problem.

While I have outstanding performance with wireless N on two different units, and hardwire on the other two, I agree wholeheartedly with Doug on this. The slightest movement of any of the following, causes me to have to reset the physical position of the device that got moved:

1. Wireless Router
2. WGA600N wireless adapter
3. WET610N wireless adapter.

I have my positions marked, so it is not that hard to return them, but compared to DECA, it's a pain in the butt.

I'm going to go DECA in the very near future. It is the best possible solution.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#17 OFFLINE   IceMutiny

IceMutiny

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 06:09 PM

Just to follow up. I did go the unsupported route. No issues whatsoever. Sent the email before I went to bed last night and the service was back on when I got up this morning. They responded saying that since I had been a customer for several years, they would be happy to reactivate the service.

Even though I didn't mention wireless, I am also using the wireless/wired mix. Very little issues so far. I'll probably go the DECA route sometime down the line. But at least for now this will keep the wife happy.

Thanks to everyone for your responses.

spam firewall