Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How did your "Connected Home" installation go, part 2?

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

Poll: How did your "Connected Home" installation go? (98 member(s) have cast votes)

How did your "Connected Home" installation go?

1. Everything was installed on time without any problems (34 votes [34.69%])

Percentage of vote: 34.69%

2. Installation was completed but there were problems that the installer ran into (39 votes [39.80%])

Percentage of vote: 39.80%

3. Installation was attempted but was stopped due to a problem (5 votes [5.10%])

Percentage of vote: 5.10%

4. Installation was cancelled/delayed due to parts not being available (10 votes [10.20%])

Percentage of vote: 10.20%

5. Something not listed and I've provided details in a post (10 votes [10.20%])

Percentage of vote: 10.20%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,000 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:00 AM

Now that we're over 1 1/2 weeks into the Connected Home rollout I wanted to start a new poll to see how recent installs are going now that the tech's are getting more experience with them.

Please only vote if your installation is on 5/24 or after, not before.

Thanks!

Edited by RAD, 24 May 2010 - 08:56 AM.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   djousma

djousma

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:20 AM

No problems at all. It was my tech's first one. Seemed that I knew more about it than he did. 3DVR's + internet. all working like a champ.

Setup

• Slimline Dish connected to SWM-16
  • Whole home DVR with DECA
  • HR44-500 connected via HDMI to 52" Sharp Aquos LC52D62U
  • HR24-500 connected via HDMI to 42" LG LCD
  • HR20-700 connected via HDMI to 32" Panasonic TC-L32X1
  • Apple Airport Extreme
  • 30/5 Charter Cable

#3 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,592 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:29 AM

Wish it was a multiple choice poll. :lol:

I voted #2, but #4 applies as well. My install was delayed about 3 hours because the installer had to track down a SWiM-16.
/steve

#4 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:33 AM

As I reported in the other thread, my installation last Thursday was a breeze with help from me. The two installers thanked me for helping and correcting a couple of issues.

Their future installations should be fine.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#5 OFFLINE   llupin

llupin

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:33 AM

My install was scheduled for 12-4 on Saturday. Installers (2 in one truck) finally arrived at 6. They were going to replace my dual splitter with a quad and cut another hole in the wall to run an extra line through. I showed them numerous diagrams from this forum and Solid Signal to convince them that this was not necessary, and they could simply split off of the wire already in the house. They called another tech, who was familiar with this method. They then sat in their truck for 45 minutes until the other tech arrived. The other tech knew exactly what to do and was finished within half an hour (by 8:00).

#6 OFFLINE   Tike1994

Tike1994

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:38 AM

Things started out well with the installer replacing my dish and installing the SWiM8 outside. When he got inside and started opening all the boxes he brought with him he was totally confused. Luckily I pulled up the installation pictures forum and we were able to get through the installation of the broadband DECA and get that working. This was his first install with the broadband DECA and the installer made several comments about the brief training they were given and lack of equipment he was able to carry on the truck.

Then we got to the HR20-100 in my daughter's room and hit a wall. I found the instructions on dbstalk explaining the "problem child" issues with the HR20-100 and he had no idea about it. He called installation services and they gave him the same instructions I printed for him. He was totally frustrated at this point and said he didn't have the splitter or the filter needed for the HR20-100 and that they would have to come back later to finish. Now I was a little frustrated that two small parts were going to delay the install. I left the room while he was on the phone with his office and when I came back he was unboxing a new HR24-500. He replaced the HR20-100 with the HR24-500, so I'm not complaining.

The end result was a completed install, but the process was time consuming and frustrating.
HR24-500 to Samsumg PN50A550; HR20-700 to Samsung LN-S3251D; HR21-200 to Samsung 2333HD; HR20-700 to Samsung 2333HD

#7 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,078 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:51 AM

Since the other thread was closed before a response could be made, to repost

My MRV install is scheduled for tomorrow, and I have six DVRs (12 tuners) of which only two at present are HR2Xs to be MRV'ed with the rest SD-DVRs.

So was wondering should the installer show up with two SWM-8s in an E2 expander assembly if it would still be appropriate to press for a SWM-16 for future-proofing in case I choose to add more MRV capable receivers later even though two SWM-8s will work for the time being as long as the DECA cloud and internet router DECA dongle are connected to one of the same output lines on the same SWM-8?

#8 OFFLINE   Baconbeard

Baconbeard

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:06 AM

Still trying to get it done. Had an appointment scheduled for Friday, but the guy flaked out making up some BS story about a part he didn't have. Then, I had a 12-4 appointment for Saturday, and the tech didn't show up until after 9:00 PM and proceeded to tell me that they were going to have to do a brand new install of my system due to the way it was set up originally.

So now I have to wait until this Friday. Hopefully I can get a tech who has his crap together.

#9 OFFLINE   Shaqdan

Shaqdan

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:11 AM

I posted a thread detailing my problems. They will be back tomorrow to correct my installation.

#10 OFFLINE   kepico

kepico

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:07 PM

Installer came around 9a and left now at 2p - I needed to be converted to SWM as well. He let me know right away that he has yet to do a DECA install, I produced all of my info and pics from this site and off we went.

I had;
HR23 x 2
D12 x 1
D10 x 1

The D10 got replaced with a D12 and the LNB to SWM along with multiswitch and PI.

Then got around to the DECA install;
He watched me the whole way as I installed the modules onto the HRs and the one needed to connect to my router. Fired it all up all modules went green and I didn't even need to reboot my HRs (possibly because I had the BETA up and running prior?) to see my network and each other.

I thought I would have to call to "activate" it but maybe not?

I gave him all my printouts (he held onto them like gold) apparently they were "taught" the DECA install by video and not hands-on.

#11 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:58 PM

Had my attempt at installation and activation today.

Installation went fairly well. He crossed a few wires in my router while installing the broadband DECA. Once I figured out what he did I was able to get my broadband and VOIP telephone service back on. The major thing he did that caught me off guard was a software update on all units. I caught it too late and lost all of my recordings and cache since it rolled me back to 03A8 and I was already on 03B6. Been awhile since I was able to download any new releases. I asked him why he did that and his reply was that that was the only way the system would recognize the upgrades and D* required it on installation!

The problem occurred when he called D* to get the MRV service turned on. They told him I didn't have the right package and they were going to have to upgrade my package and it would cost me another $1 per mo. Thanks to this forum I was already well aware of this. Then D* was unable to get the system to work at all. Said they didn't know what the problem was but they were escalating it to the engineers and I would receive a call back from a supervisor. That was 4 hours ago. System still won't work and no call back.

#12 OFFLINE   rsblaski

rsblaski

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:02 PM

Sorry, I didn't see the "after 5/24" before I voted for the last choice. You can remove my vote if possible.
Remember, when it comes to audio/video, more is always better. (This does NOT apply to remote controls!)

#13 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,592 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:07 PM

[...] I asked him why he did that and his reply was that that was the only way the system would recognize the upgrades and D* required it on installation! [...]

What a shame! :nono2: Amazing how little some of these guys know about the systems they're installing. Not even a reboot was necessary on my HR20/22's. If there were previously networked H24s or HR24s, those would have had to be rebooted without the ethernet cable attached.

He was probably told he needed to do an 0-2-4-6-8 for new boxes he's installing that may have been sitting on his truck and just figured it applies across the board. Someone should tell him that an active customer box already has a current release.
/steve

#14 ONLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,949 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:38 PM

Well, with three visits it was a combo of not knowing, not having the parts, to finally doing it myself with tech standing behind me.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#15 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,592 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:40 PM

Sorry, I didn't see the "after 5/24" before I voted for the last choice. You can remove my vote if possible.

D'oh! Same here. My install was on 5/13. I voted for #2, if you can get a mod to remove it. Sorry about that.
/steve

#16 ONLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,949 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:43 PM

Now that we're over 1 1/2 weeks into the Connected Home rollout I wanted to start a new poll to see how recent installs are going now that the tech's are getting more experience with them.

Please only vote if your installation is on 5/24 or after, not before.

Thanks!

Sorry, read the poll first and then saw the post. So eliminate one 5th choice.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#17 OFFLINE   mobandit

mobandit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 05:42 PM

Well, appointment was for 12-4 PM today. Tech arrived at exactly 4:00 PM, after a call at 2:45 to tell me he would be here by 3:30 at the latest. He decided that my self-installed SWM8 should be replaced, along with my ODU. He installed a SL3 SWiM LNB. He also removed all of the previously installed connectors and nearly ran out of extra cable coming from the house! He then proceeded to install the DECA modules. All went well except he didn't realize that he had to call D* to get them to authorize MRV...took me 20 minutes to convince him to call....reran SAT setup, reset defaults on the Network Settings, reset all boxes, and MRV is working just fine!

Now the remaining issue: when he removed the old ODU and installed the SL3 he didn't have the 103 satellite loaded into his meter, so he was unable to really peak the 103. Most transponders are in the 90's....some are in the 80's....all were in the 90's with the old ODU. I asked him nicely to please peak it a little better...he said he would have to come back on Wednesday when he has a day off and after downloading the 103 into his meter. We'll see...

Edited by mobandit, 24 May 2010 - 05:50 PM.

ETCM (SS/SW), USN (RET)
22 years, 4 months, 9 days

#18 OFFLINE   jeffreytz

jeffreytz

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:34 PM

So just a follow up from my install on Saturday. The tech came back as promised tonight when I got home from work, and I showed him the diagram of how to add the splitter/DECA/PI/internet connection to the basement HR20-700 (which is the closest one to my router). It took us all of 5 minutes to hook it all up. We had powered that HR20 off when we did the install, so we powered it back up and checked the network info and it had a correct IP address, the right gateway address, etc. Popped up the right-hand TV app menu and everything is working.

I went and checked the other two DVRs and they also had valid IP addresses without being restarted, but I restarted them anyway (what the hell :) ).

I had printed copies of the "first look" pdf and a few of the other diagrams here on DBSTalk and gave them to the tech (a nice kid from the Ukraine), and explained the difference between having the internet added via the DECA verses individual direct network connections to the receivers (which he said was he understood how internet access was to be added). He's a 3rd party independent contractor and was very appreciative of all the info and I have a feeling he'll be reading through the forums here now that he knows about it :)

So I'm all set, MVR works, have internet for PPV, TV Apps, etc., and have access to the files on my HP MediaSmart Windows Home Server; and I have SWiM, which is awesome compared to my old four-line setup.

#19 OFFLINE   Monty23

Monty23

Icon

• Registered
  • 598 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:46 PM

My work order didn't specify that I needed another DECA to be connected to the internet and my installer didn't have one on the truck. He told me this was his very first MRV install and I was his "guinea pig". I've made two calls to D after he left and still haven't gotten a call back from the installer when they are going to complete this.

#20 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:24 PM

Had my install today took about an hour everything was working great when he left.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...