Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How did your "Connected Home" installation go, part 2?

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

Poll: How did your "Connected Home" installation go? (98 member(s) have cast votes)

How did your "Connected Home" installation go?

1. Everything was installed on time without any problems (34 votes [34.69%])

Percentage of vote: 34.69%

2. Installation was completed but there were problems that the installer ran into (39 votes [39.80%])

Percentage of vote: 39.80%

3. Installation was attempted but was stopped due to a problem (5 votes [5.10%])

Percentage of vote: 5.10%

4. Installation was cancelled/delayed due to parts not being available (10 votes [10.20%])

Percentage of vote: 10.20%

5. Something not listed and I've provided details in a post (10 votes [10.20%])

Percentage of vote: 10.20%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,190 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:51 PM

Install went fine, prox 4 hrs but the tech did replace dish , cleaned up a bunch of old wiring from previous dtv installs. Also cleared away a bunch of wire left by cable, voomm and dish. Only thing he didn't do was program the remotes. Did have to call this morning to straighten out the bill but otherwise about my best dtv install/visits.

I asked my installer to do the same. Took him 30 seconds. Of course he didn't do much. Just grab all the wire and used two tys to make two bunches. Think I'll take a pix tomorrow and post it here.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   Cagpop

Cagpop

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:18 PM

My install went well, but not perfectly.

Tech arrived 1 hour early, my 18 yo son got him started, until I arrived. This tech was sharp, and thorough. He replaced the LNBs with a new set with SWM, and cleaned up unneeded wires. He also added a support arm to the dish, and tightened things up and adjusted the dish.

Once everything was connected, the HR20-700 and HR21 could see each other and were connected to the DSL, but not the HR24. After a reboot or two, he changed the receiver dish settings to the correct LNB/SWM options, and the HR24 and all has worked great since.

Total time about 3 hours.

This tech seemed to know what he was doing, and I appreciate that he replaced all the coax connectors, removed unused wire, etc., and beefed up the dish with additional arms, tighened screws, etc.

#103 OFFLINE   Kentstater

Kentstater

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 430 posts
  • LocationSE Michigan

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:24 PM

Getting Frustrated.

The installer was here yesterday and set up MRV. Hr put the Decca set-up on my Broom Hr21, put up a new slim line satellite (not sure why I needed it I had the slightly bigger, original 5 LNB unit).

He then switched out my HR20 for a HR21 with an AM-21. He put the decca on the HR21 and then rebooted.

On his way out the door, I realized that there was nothing done to connect my PC network to get Media Share, DOD, and Apps. He said plug your Ethernet lines back in and that will do it (I had it hardwired for the Beta). Well I put the either net into the bottom line in the Lroom HR21 and it shut down the router, no internet for anything. I rebooted everything and tried again, zap, no internet again. I rebooted and plugged in the line in the Broom, it was fine, got Media Share and everything.

Is it me?
Is it the HR21 in the Lroom?
Is it the install?

He also said something about calling D* to get Decca on my computer.

Help (Less acronyms the better)

Follow up.........................

The installer comes out today and hooks up a DECCA unit to my Ethernet line in the living room right next to the HR21, and uses the coax 2ft into the HR.
He tells my wife that there is no DECCA for the router.

I called him a half hour latter when I got home and he said it would have been too hard to go up in the attic. He thanked me, a 60 year old man for going up and putting the Ethernet line in.

I told him the Ethernet line was for the panni g25 I was getting and his answer was I could plug it into the lower Ethernet plug on the back of the hr21. Is that true?

Man I'm the most frustrated with D* right now than I have ever been.

Comments, help, beer.
You can keep the change

#104 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,660 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:12 PM

Follow up.........................

The installer comes out today and hooks up a DECCA unit to my Ethernet line in the living room right next to the HR21, and uses the coax 2ft into the HR.
He tells my wife that there is no DECCA for the router.

I called him a half hour latter when I got home and he said it would have been too hard to go up in the attic. He thanked me, a 60 year old man for going up and putting the Ethernet line in.

I told him the Ethernet line was for the panni g25 I was getting and his answer was I could plug it into the lower Ethernet plug on the back of the hr21. Is that true? [...]

No. It may work OK, but that lower port is not supposed to be used.

I'd get on the phone with DirecTV ASAP, explain to them how your installer left things, and ask them to send someone out who knows what they're doing.
/steve

#105 OFFLINE   balboadave

balboadave

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:35 PM

Why is the poll closed? My install yesterday went really well. I upgraded two R10s (got to keep them) and got two HR-24s, a new slimline 3 dish, and Whole Home connection. I've read here that you can't request a receiver model, but I did anyways, and it was on their work order. All told, it took a couple of hours. I guess I lucked out and missed the entire D* glitch earlier that day. The minor errors were both units were labeled with a bedroom location, but that might have been their opinion of my living room, and not all of the video output formats were selected. They got extra credit for hooking up the otherwise extraneous second coax lines to each room to the splitter for future additions.

#106 OFFLINE   mobandit

mobandit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:25 AM

Well, after waiting two weeks for a technician to come out and re-peak my new dish that was improperly aimed when it was installed...I finally relented and sent an e-mail to Ellen Filipiak's office. We'll see how long it takes to get resolved...

ETCM (SS/SW), USN (RET)
22 years, 4 months, 9 days

#107 OFFLINE   mobandit

mobandit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:49 PM

Well, after waiting two weeks for a technician to come out and re-peak my new dish that was improperly aimed when it was installed...I finally relented and sent an e-mail to Ellen Filipiak's office. We'll see how long it takes to get resolved...

E-mail was sent this morning, early. First phone call was at 10:00 AM, second phone call from service/installation company was at 1:30 PM. Promised a tech visit sometime after 3:00 PM. Hopefully not too far after 3:00 PM...

ETCM (SS/SW), USN (RET)

#108 OFFLINE   mobandit

mobandit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:58 PM

E-mail was sent this morning, early. First phone call was at 10:00 AM, second phone call from service/installation company was at 1:30 PM. Promised a tech visit sometime after 3:00 PM. Hopefully not too far after 3:00 PM...

3:55 PM, problem is solved! Low signals were only partially due to poor alignment...mostly due to a defective SL3S LNB...replaced with an SL5S...all is well!

ETCM (SS/SW), USN (RET)

#109 OFFLINE   my1423

my1423

Godfather

• Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:24 PM

Install took 3 weeks, 3 reschedules, and 5 installers. The 5th actually had the training, knew what swim was, had the parts, Did a good job! Also came 300 miles to do install. He had never seen a swim 16. He was a new installer. Only been installing for 2 months.

#110 OFFLINE   mstenbrg

mstenbrg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:35 PM

My installer didn't really know how to do the install. After most of the day, het got it working. I have 1 HR24 1 H24 and 1 HR20. The H24 can see recordings from both DVR's. I cannot see recordings from one DVR to the other. The installer is gone, and am not sure what to do?

#111 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 16,085 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:56 PM

My installer didn't really know how to do the install. After most of the day, het got it working. I have 1 HR24 1 H24 and 1 HR20. The H24 can see recordings from both DVR's. I cannot see recordings from one DVR to the other. The installer is gone, and am not sure what to do?

You paid for DirecTV to put this in I'd call them ASAP and tell then you'd like the installer to come back and make it work.

One of the BIG selling points on Connected Home vs. folks using their own ethernet networks is that DirecTV can support Connected Home/DECA, make them earn their money.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#112 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,190 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 05:49 PM

Was your DirecTV connected to the Internet? Is so, is it connected now?

Edited by Drucifer, 10 June 2010 - 06:47 PM.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once

#113 OFFLINE   chrpai

chrpai

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:04 PM

My install went really easy:

Step 1:

My installer came by and dropped of the HR24-500. I asked DirecTV to just mail it to me since I already and 2 RG6 drops, cables and B-Band filters in that location but they sent a tech anyways. Come and gone in 5 minutes.

Step 2:

I came home and plugged the ethernet cable into the wall and into the receiver. Then I called DirecTV and a nice chap read me the unsupported disclaimer and activated the service. I went into the setup menu to confirm that both devices were enabled and seeing each other. On and off the phone in 10 minutes tops.

Couldn't have been easier.

#114 OFFLINE   mstenbrg

mstenbrg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:06 PM

It is not connected to the internet now, he did not know about or have the DECA part that hooked to my router. Not sure how I get that now?

I actually got home from work and now all of the DVR's see each other. Not sure if it just needed some time, but at least it is working now.

#115 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,190 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:52 PM

It is not connected to the internet now, he did not know about or have the DECA part that hooked to my router. Not sure how I get that now?

I actually got home from work and now all of the DVR's see each other. Not sure if it just needed some time, but at least it is working now.

You'll need a green splitter, a DECA and a Power Insertor (PI) and two short coax cables.

CBK DirecTV and tell 'em he didn't hook up your router.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once

#116 OFFLINE   mstenbrg

mstenbrg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:04 AM

Not really wanting to stay home and have to wait for DTV again. Is there any way they will send me the part and I can install myself? I have a cable run to my office where my router is. It is not being used now, but I could hook it to the last port on the SWM switch and then hook the DECA unit to it and connect to my router. Since there is no receiver here, would I still need the green splitter?

#117 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,190 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:59 PM

Not really wanting to stay home and have to wait for DTV again. Is there any way they will send me the part and I can install myself? I have a cable run to my office where my router is. It is not being used now, but I could hook it to the last port on the SWM switch and then hook the DECA unit to it and connect to my router. Since there is no receiver here, would I still need the green splitter?

The CSR probably wont. But once the install schedule is setup, call the installer and see if he'll agree to leave it at your door.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once

#118 OFFLINE   mstenbrg

mstenbrg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 01:48 PM

Okay, is there anyplace I can just purchase one online? I will go through DirecTV if I have to, but after yesterday I don't want to talk with them again for a while.

#119 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,190 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:25 PM

The parts are not cheap outside of DirecTV -- Over a hundred bucks for the splitter, DECA & PI.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once

Protected By... spam firewall...And...