Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

multi room viewing question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   brown291

brown291

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:31 AM

I called the directv customer service rep and inquired about the multi room viewing I was told I needed to pay 99.00 for the service because it requires another dish to be installed..

my question is this, if I have to two directv DVR's and the HD service, why do I need another dish to receive this service?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Clemsole

Clemsole

Godfather

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:46 AM

The 99.00 is corect but the new dish i'm not sure why. Give them a call again and get a different csr and you might get a better answer.

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:48 AM

I called the directv customer service rep and inquired about the multi room viewing I was told I needed to pay 99.00 for the service because it requires another dish to be installed..

my question is this, if I have to two directv DVR's and the HD service, why do I need another dish to receive this service?

The connected home networking [DECA] needs to work with a SWiM system.
$99 is the hardware price for everything needed and $49 would be for the service call.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:57 AM

It's probably easier to work backwards. Multi-room viewing (MRV) works over the satellite coax lines. This is provided for most existing HD boxes with a DECA (DirecTV ethernet to Coax Adapter) module.

This technology requires the use of DirecTV's Single Wire Multiswitch (SWM) technology that allows only 1 wire to feed both tuners of a DVR. This technology has been until recently used primarily for commercial installs or DIY installs. It has used for new residential installs over the last 6 months or so. With MRV, they are now upgrading existing customers to this technology.

If you are using 8 tuners or less (receivers=1 tuner, DVRs=2 tuners), you are in the vast majority of the DirecTV customer base. The standard is that they use a LNB (the "feedhorn" part of the dish system) with a SWM built in. With this system, 1 wire comes off of the LNB and splitters are used to add cables to go to the different areas of your house.

(If you have more than 8 tuners, an external SWM-16 is used, but unless that is your situation, I'll skip that discussion.)

Now, for the SWM LNB to work, you need a slimline dish. Some of the older "sidecar" dishes are still out there and will be replaced with a slimiline dish and new LNB. That may be your situation. (These older dishes are apparently being routinely replace whenever a service call is made, even is the customer is not moving to the SWM LNB.) It's also possible that you have a slimline and the CSR is referring to the new LNB as a "new dish".

All of these changes are included in the prices for the MRV install.
DogLover

My Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...