Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish & Weather Channel Reach Agreement including new services

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,430 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:38 AM

News release from Dish:

DISH Network and The Weather Channel Reach Agreement

Includes development of new full-time weather forecasting services

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. and ATLANTA, May 24, 2010 /PRNewswire via COMTEX News Network/ -- DISH Network L.L.C. and The Weather Channel today announced that they have reached a multi-year agreement for continued distribution of The Weather Channel on DISH Network's programming platform.

The deal provides for collaboration between both companies in developing state-of-the-art, full-time weather forecasting services designed specifically for satellite customers, including localized weather programming on DISH Network Ch. 213 (in addition to The Weather Channel's main feed on Ch. 214), interactive TV applications, as well as new Internet and mobile services. Deployment of the new services will begin this summer.

"Through this new partnership with The Weather Channel, DISH Network is giving our subscribers exactly what they've asked for and more. Not only are we developing a unique satellite service that provides localized weather 24/7, but also we'll soon deliver personalized weather reports via the Android mobile platform and the web," said Dave Shull, senior vice president of Programming for DISH Network. "This agreement recognizes the importance of cross-platform video delivery, ensuring that our subscribers will have the most detailed local weather information available at their fingertips anytime, anywhere."

"DISH Network and their customers are extremely important to us, and maintaining and expanding our partnership is a high priority for our company," said Mike Kelly, CEO and President of The Weather Channel. "DISH Network will now be carrying two of our channels - The Weather Channel and a customized 24-hour, all-local weather information network - to provide even better service to their customers. We also look forward to working with DISH Network on other cross-platform and interactive initiatives, taking advantage of our leadership position in mobile and the Internet."

Additional terms of the deal were not disclosed.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MadScientist

MadScientist

Godfather

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:31 AM

Good! I like what dish is doing!

#3 OFFLINE   kcolg30

kcolg30

Godfather

• Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:48 AM

Turn into channel 213 and tell me what you see.....:lol::lol::lol::hurah::hurah::P;)

#4 OFFLINE   justindish

justindish

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:20 AM

I was demoing the new Weather Cast channel to a customer and the channel went off the air! i figured Dish mustve come to an agreement with TWC. Kinda sucks, because I too was a weather channel freak, until they turned into the MTV of weather..... I did like the interaction etc, and the fact that it was 24/7. What happens to the nice people working on the Weather Cast channel now???

#5 OFFLINE   kcolg30

kcolg30

Godfather

• Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:25 AM

I was demoing the new Weather Cast channel to a customer and the channel went off the air! i figured Dish mustve come to an agreement with TWC. Kinda sucks, because I too was a weather channel freak, until they turned into the MTV of weather..... I did like the interaction etc, and the fact that it was 24/7. What happens to the nice people working on the Weather Cast channel now???

First they will not know that they are off the air until 3 hours later. Then probably they will be put back on the phones on Dish Network's tech support line.

Edited by kcolg30, 24 May 2010 - 10:33 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,788 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:27 AM

Turn into channel 213 and tell me what you see.....:lol::lol::lol::hurah::hurah::P;)

It's gone. Channel 213 is a big blue screen with a message.

The WeatherCast is no longer available.

Coming soon...

Your local weather information fro Dish Network
and The Weather Channel.

The most accurate information all of the time for your
city and region.

It looks like something good might come out of this. We'll see what TWC can do.

#7 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,999 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:33 AM

So this from the PR announcing WeatherCast, "Our customers always tell us that the only thing they want in a weather channel is weather reporting," said Dave Shull, senior vice president of Programming. "We believe The Weather Cast is the best available weather service in America." was just some BS. It wasn't Dish wanting to provide the best available weather service in America but to get something from TWC during the contract renegotiation.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,788 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:34 AM

What happens to the nice people working on the Weather Cast channel now???

They keep their jobs at WeatherNation providing 100% meteorologist forecasts for local stations across the nation.

I suppose TWC couldn't take the pressure of having a competing channel. I'd bet that the minute the channel became available having it removed was TWC's primary negotiation demand. I don't consider the channel a bluff for negotiations but it would have been nice to keep around until the new special TWC content is available.

#9 OFFLINE   catnapped

catnapped

AllStar

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:05 PM

Supposedly only the top 20 markets will get the enhanced content...the rest of us just get to pay even more for the TWC Movie Network

#10 OFFLINE   Dave

Dave

Icon

• Registered
  • 864 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:26 PM

I guess I am just lucky to live in the Tucson, Az. area. We do have a local weather channel. Channel 13-2 is CBS's local weather service. No waiting for local on the 8's that never comes on for my area.

#11 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,127 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:42 PM

They took The Weather Cast off? The HD on that channel was awesome!:confused::confused::confused:

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#12 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,617 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:51 PM

That's just crazy to me to launch a channel for a couple of days and then pull the plug.

I'm ok with making a deal with TWC and hopefully more enhanced weather local info in the future... but don't like yanking Weather cast like that after making such a big deal about it when it launched.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#13 OFFLINE   CarolinaGuy79

CarolinaGuy79

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:07 PM

I just dont understand cause my mom who dont have cable but has OTA and I know people that has cable that get NBC Weather Plus which is local and national weather 24/7, I dont see why dish cant offer like NBC Weather Plus in areas that receiver it OTA or on cable.

#14 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,821 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:12 PM

I just dont understand cause my mom who dont have cable but has OTA and I know people that has cable that get NBC Weather Plus which is local and national weather 24/7, I dont see why dish cant offer like NBC Weather Plus in areas that receiver it OTA or on cable.

NBC Weather Plus no longer exists... for all intents and purposes.

NBC Universal purchased The Weather Channel in 2008 and then pulled the plug on NBC Weather Plus (for unrelated reasons)... though I think some stations still use certain aspects of the channel, it's technically dunzo.

~Alan

#15 OFFLINE   CarolinaGuy79

CarolinaGuy79

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:22 PM

NBC Weather Plus no longer exists... for all intents and purposes.

NBC Universal purchased The Weather Channel in 2008 and then pulled the plug on NBC Weather Plus (for unrelated reasons)... though I think some stations still use certain aspects of the channel, it's technically dunzo.

~Alan

Thanks I did not know that at all, I thought it still excisted thanks for clearing that up.

#16 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,821 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:25 PM

Thanks I did not know that at all, I thought it still excisted thanks for clearing that up.

There are still MANY local weather channels out there... affiliated with local stations. Some markets have multiple ones, and some markets (like mine) with none.

~Alan

#17 OFFLINE   CarolinaGuy79

CarolinaGuy79

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:30 PM

There are still MANY local weather channels out there... affiliated with local stations. Some markets have multiple ones, and some markets (like mine) with none.

~Alan

Yeah I was reading about NBC Weater Plus just now and it said some locals markets still use it as a local tool so I guess that what my mom and friends has that I saw, I didnt know I havent had cable since 2007 and the last time I had cable NBC Weather Plus was still in tact.

#18 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 826 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:36 PM

That was quick! Looked at EPG a couple minutes ago and saw the announcement.

Amazing how putting a gun to someone's head will get them to negotiate. Feel a little sorry for the Weather Cast guys, who got used like a cheap "you know what", but I'm happy with the outcome.

#19 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,127 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:41 PM

That's just crazy to me to launch a channel for a couple of days and then pull the plug.

I'm ok with making a deal with TWC and hopefully more enhanced weather local info in the future... but don't like yanking Weather cast like that after making such a big deal about it when it launched.

I agree 100%. Dumb, nuts! I can't believe them!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#20 OFFLINE   CarolinaGuy79

CarolinaGuy79

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:56 PM

I am gussing the new channel will be called The Weather Channel 2 cause just turned it on and it said TWC2 press infor for an important announcement.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...