Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish & Weather Channel Reach Agreement including new services

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 623 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 02:04 PM

WeatherCast was good; it provided continuous weather without all the commercials The Weather Channel has done for years. So, NBC Universal wins out again and the subscribers do not get a useful service.

I get my weather from the internet already. I just go the some of television web sites in Denver and the NOAA web site. Using DISH's interactive Weather Service is slow, inconvenient and does not even cover northern Colorado. Again, I get more from the NOAA and Denver TV web sites.

So, for the next few months 213 will just have a blue slate touting a service; that may never come or falls short of expectation. Meanwhile, DISH customers had a great service, only for the purpose of corporate upsmanship. It was removed in the name of the corporate oligarchs at NBC Universal. Talk about lack of ethics here.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 02:05 PM

It will be interesting to see what comes of all this as a D* customer I'd love a real weather channel again. As others have mentioned the old days of TWC were great, as stories were going on in weather they covered them. Now, it's just not the same channel, heck on the West Coast we get a repeat of their morning show...we can't even get a real weather report. I know Accuweather also does local channels in some markets and provides forecasts for channels. In the SF DMA Accuweather provides weather for the local ABC affilate (O/O) and the local NBC (O/O) still runs a "Weather Plus" channel but they don't have local updates on it anymore it's just a loop of temps and the forecast with no voiceover (pretty boring channel). I sure hope D* gets with TWC as well to get a real weather channel up and running and let TWC show movies all day long but have one channel with real weather reports.

#23 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,893 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 02:12 PM

I am gussing the new channel will be called The Weather Channel 2 cause just turned it on and it said TWC2 press infor for an important announcement.

The same slate as reported earlier in this thread appears ... but yes, the channel name has changed.

#24 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 02:35 PM

It will be interesting to see what comes of all this as a D* customer I'd love a real weather channel again. As others have mentioned the old days of TWC were great, as stories were going on in weather they covered them. Now, it's just not the same channel, heck on the West Coast we get a repeat of their morning show...we can't even get a real weather report. I know Accuweather also does local channels in some markets and provides forecasts for channels. In the SF DMA Accuweather provides weather for the local ABC affilate (O/O) and the local NBC (O/O) still runs a "Weather Plus" channel but they don't have local updates on it anymore it's just a loop of temps and the forecast with no voiceover (pretty boring channel). I sure hope D* gets with TWC as well to get a real weather channel up and running and let TWC show movies all day long but have one channel with real weather reports.

D* is DirecTV.

E* is Echostar/Dishnetwork. :confused:;)

#25 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,893 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 02:45 PM

D* is DirecTV.

Correct. He's one of "them". :)

The desire for a 24/7 weather channel goes beyond provider choice.

#26 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 24 May 2010 - 02:55 PM

Correct. He's one of "them". :)

The desire for a 24/7 weather channel goes beyond provider choice.

Some of us already have a 24/7 weather channel... it's called The Weather Channel.

However, some of us are nonetheless interested in how it plays out.

~Alan

#27 OFFLINE   CoolGui

CoolGui

Icon

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:02 PM

I hate to admit it but I never even looked at the Weather Cast channel. Was it any good? This came about pretty quickly.

They have weather digital sub-channels of the big 3 affiliates here, so I can go there if I really need weather. My wife occasionally will watch TWC though when there is some tornado show on.

DirecTV - Slimline-3S (SWM) - Premiere + HD + MRV + HD Extra
Living Room : HR24/200 - Panasonic TH-50PX60U 50" Plasma - Onkyo TX-SR606B Audio Receiver - PS3 80GB - Wii - Slingbox Classic
Bed Room : H24/200 - LG 32LD450 32" LCD - Xbox 360S 250GB

#28 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,893 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:05 PM

Some of us already have a 24/7 weather channel... it's called The Weather Channel.

Really? The Weather Channel that is on DISH has a lot of non-weather content ... and while shows like "When Weather Changed History", "Storm Stories" and other documentary productions can be useful to deeper understand the weather - we're not getting weather coverage during those programs - just current conditions.

And this Friday we can watch Gorillas in the Mist instead of weather.

The only 24/7 televised weather feed I get is via local OTA television. TWC isn't 24/7 weather.

#29 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,477 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:08 PM

Based on other NBCU channels, we should be seeing outdoor wrestling on TWC soon.:D

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#30 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:10 PM

Really? The Weather Channel that is on DISH has a lot of non-weather content ... and while shows like "When Weather Changed History", "Storm Stories" and other documentary productions can be useful to deeper understand the weather - we're not getting weather coverage during those programs - just current conditions.

Can't speak about The Weather Channel on Dish... but The Weather Channel I receive on DirecTV is 24x7 Weather. ;)

And this Friday we can watch Gorillas in the Mist instead of weather.

I never saw that movie... but unless something happens in the film that I'm not aware of, that's a rather liberal choice of a weather related film.

The only 24/7 televised weather feed I get is via local OTA television. TWC isn't 24/7 weather.

It is on my TV... though "Gorillas In The Mist" may indeed be pushing it...

BTW, I can't speak for every channel, but I know some of my neighboring DMAs occasional run e/i programming during the daytime on some of their weather channels, so some are out of luck there...

~Alan

Edited by Alan Gordon, 24 May 2010 - 04:08 PM.

#31 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,893 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:24 PM

Can't speak about The Weather Channel on Dish... but The Weather Channel I receive on DirecTV is 24x7 Weather.

It is on my TV... though "Gorillas In The Mist" may indeed be pushing it...

You MIGHT want to check your program guide for Friday Night ...

DISH and DirecTV air the same "The Weather Channel". :rolleyes:

#32 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,477 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:25 PM

TWC stuff is nice to have. Fortunately, NOAA has a pretty good web-based system out of Eureka, CA for us here and I have windows to look outside. So I pretty much know what's coming and what's happening in real time.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#33 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:27 PM

D* is DirecTV.

I understand the the two.......I was just saying being a D* customer I can only hope they'd hop on board with the same idea of a 2nd weather channel that actually shows weather.....

#34 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 04:10 PM

You MIGHT want to check your program guide for Friday Night ...

DISH and DirecTV air the same "The Weather Channel". :rolleyes:

Sorry... I meant to put a smiley to insinuate I was joking about the differences between the two services. It was my attempt at a joke...

As for checking my guide, I already stated that I felt "Gorillas In The Mist" might be pushing it... the same might even be said about "Riding Giants" that airs next Friday night.

~Alan

#35 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 04:30 PM

This pisses me off!

I really liked the new Weather Cast channel. I liked seeing some of the previous meteorologists from our local stations. This includes the popular Paul Douglas, who left WCCO to take care of a sick parent.

The fact that it is locally produced just enhanced it for me.
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#36 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 04:59 PM

This pisses me off!

I really liked the new Weather Cast channel. I liked seeing some of the previous meteorologists from our local stations. This includes the popular Paul Douglas, who left WCCO to take care of a sick parent.

The fact that it is locally produced just enhanced it for me.

Withholding judgement until after the relaunch of on 213.

#37 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,893 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 05:54 PM

Withholding judgement until after the relaunch of on 213.

Hopefully the SOON relaunch of 213 ... DISH changed the slate to something prettier than the white on blue text. The quicker they get real content on 213 the better - even if they have to start out with a 24/7 weather loop aired nationally that is broken down into something regional later.

#38 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 24 May 2010 - 06:38 PM

I wouldn't necessarily need something DMA specific for all 200+ DMAs - but something regional as well as some national overview would be nice.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#39 OFFLINE   music_beans

music_beans

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:44 PM

I personally don't mind "Storm Stories" and "When Weather Changed History" on The Weather Channel, but I have to agree with other people and say that showing movies on Friday is pushing it just a bit.

It's just like other channels, such as SyFy showing wrestling and Cartoon Network showing live action programming. Before you know it, QVC will revamp their "QVC Morning Show" with news and weather. :D
Do you DVR?

#40 OFFLINE   ddobson

ddobson

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:28 PM

I would still like to see a competing Weather network. Driving both to be great.
DirecTV since 2/95
XM Since 06/04
--------------------
Like Tracking Storms?
www.stormpredator.com

Protected By... spam firewall...And...