Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish & Weather Channel Reach Agreement including new services

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   pjmrt

pjmrt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,939 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 02:13 AM

well, I too sadly never saw the weather cast channel during its brief stay on dish. And the weather channel is even more inferior than it was since (at least on my receiver) the interactive option to go direct to my local conditions/forecast is gone. I can go to channel 100 and get them, but that's a hassel.

I fully agree with those who want a weather channel that IS WEATHER 24/7. TWC is now mostly an entertainment channel w/ movies, ... just like many other channels which do it better. TWC should rename itself OWC, the Occasional Weather Channel. Sure weather (or news) can be boring when not much is changing. But if its 4 am and you really want to know what the conditions are or the forecast - well what is the point of having several hundred channels available to you?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   eckertman

eckertman

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts
  • LocationWoodstock,IL

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:45 AM

Hopefully the SOON relaunch of 213 ... DISH changed the slate to something prettier than the white on blue text. The quicker they get real content on 213 the better - even if they have to start out with a 24/7 weather loop aired nationally that is broken down into something regional later.

They took 213 away from us completely. Does this mean the channel will not happen?

#53 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,787 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:43 AM

They took 213 away from us completely. Does this mean the channel will not happen?

No ... it just isn't summer yet.

News release from Dish:

The deal provides for collaboration between both companies in developing state-of-the-art, full-time weather forecasting services designed specifically for satellite customers, including localized weather programming on DISH Network Ch. 213 (in addition to The Weather Channel's main feed on Ch. 214), interactive TV applications, as well as new Internet and mobile services. Deployment of the new services will begin this summer.

#54 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:11 PM

It IS meteorological summer. :D
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#55 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,787 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:17 PM

For the rest of us it won't be summer until June 21st ... It is still spring.

Summer won't be over until Fall ... September 21st?
(And the end of meteorological summer a few weeks earlier, for the meteorologists out there.)

#56 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,616 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 03 June 2010 - 01:05 PM

You couldn't tell it by our weather this year. Another rainy day.:(

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#57 OFFLINE   tvwatcher365

tvwatcher365

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:27 AM

Well at least The Weather Channel dropped the "Flick and a Forecast" abomination on Friday nights. They now air either Weather Center or taped programming like "Storm Stories" or "Tornado Road". Movies on a weather channel never made sense to begin with. Now if they could only get rid of the guy that occupies the 6 and 10am blocks.

#58 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:41 PM

You couldn't tell it by our weather this year. Another rainy day.:(

Then come down here it's frickin 95 degrees!.:grin:;):flaiming!pepsi!:eek2:

#59 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,616 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 05 June 2010 - 02:12 PM

Then come down here it's frickin 95 degrees!.:grin:;):flaiming!pepsi!:eek2:

Ah well, as much as I'm complaining, over 85° is outside my comfort zone.

Today it's already 70° and getting warmer.:D

But they still left a 20% chance of rain in the forecast overnight.:(

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#60 OFFLINE   Dave

Dave

Icon

• Registered
  • 864 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:56 PM

We only got up to 106 today. Have had a cool spring.

#61 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,900 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:39 PM

No - come out to here where we get "air you can wear" - 80-95 degrees, dew point of 70....
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#62 OFFLINE   GaryReno

GaryReno

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 04:57 PM

Is it summer now?

#63 OFFLINE   samhevener

samhevener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 02:56 AM

Is it summer now?

Global warming is here, 2010, the hottest year ever recorded world wide. It was 93 in Cleveland 2 days ago, with a normal high of 76.
When is the new Weather Channel going to air on Dish in place of the old Weathercast?
AN OLD GEEZER WHO REMEMBERS THE DUMONT TELEVISION NETWORK AND IT'S TOP RATED "CAPTAIN VIDEO AND HIS VIDEO RANGERS", TV NEWS ANCHORMEN WEARING HATS DURING THE NEWSCAST, ONLY 180 SECONDS OF COMMERICALS EACH HALF HOUR, 3 STATIONS ON THE AIR WITH THEIR TEST PATTERNS AIRED FROM 2 TO 3PM, PROGRAMMING FROM 3PM TO 11:30 AND SIGNING OFF AT 11:30PM. HOW COULD I FORGET THE SINGLE FRAME VERTICAL ROLL WHEN THE STATIONS SWITCHED FROM NETWORK TO LOCAL OR LOCAL TO NETWORK AND THE TIME TONE ON THE HOUR.

#64 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,900 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:26 AM

Down here in Raleigh we're chasing the record for most 90+ degree days - we're only 7 days short, and we have September to go .... after friday, it should be down to 2 short.

#65 OFFLINE   levibluewa

levibluewa

Icon

• Registered
  • 612 posts
  • LocationWA, OR, CA

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:37 AM

Does anyone have the answer to the question...if Directv can do it why can't DISH. The "local on the 8s" via zip code that Dtv has not perfect but a huge steip in the right direction...with "severe" weather warnings, etc. Is it a cost factor that DISH isn't willing to spend? Anyone!

#66 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:05 AM

Does anyone have the answer to the question...if Directv can do it why can't DISH. The "local on the 8s" via zip code that Dtv has not perfect but a huge steip in the right direction...with "severe" weather warnings, etc. Is it a cost factor that DISH isn't willing to spend? Anyone!

Personally I liked Weather cast better.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#67 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:41 AM

I don't understand why it happened so quickly with Weathercast, and just doesn't seem to be able to happen with TWC.

I would prefer to have the Weathercast back.

#68 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:02 AM

Yes, Dish, dump the Weather soap channel and give us the Weathercast.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#69 OFFLINE   nevadatraveler

nevadatraveler

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 02:03 PM

I have e-mailed Dish Network on regarding Dish Network's press release on 3 separate occasions in the last month, one to customer support, one to ceo@dishnetwork.com and one to president@dishnetork.com.
The only reply I received was from the one to customer support and they had no idea of what I was talking about.
I now get the feeling this was all a smoke screen by Dish Network to get the Weather Channel to agree to Dish Network's pricing offer. So much for Dish Network's promise to their subscribers.

DISH Network and The Weather Channel Reach Agreement
Includes development of new full-time weather forecasting services

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. and ATLANTA, May 24, 2010 /PRNewswire via COMTEX News Network/ -- DISH Network L.L.C. and The Weather Channel today announced that they have reached a multi-year agreement for continued distribution of The Weather Channel on DISH Network's programming platform.

The deal provides for collaboration between both companies in developing state-of-the-art, full-time weather forecasting services designed specifically for satellite customers, including localized weather programming on DISH Network Ch. 213 (in addition to The Weather Channel's main feed on Ch. 214), interactive TV applications, as well as new Internet and mobile services. Deployment of the new services will begin this summer.

"Through this new partnership with The Weather Channel, DISH Network is giving our subscribers exactly what they've asked for and more. Not only are we developing a unique satellite service that provides localized weather 24/7, but also we'll soon deliver personalized weather reports via the Android mobile platform and the web," said Dave Shull, senior vice president of Programming for DISH Network. "This agreement recognizes the importance of cross-platform video delivery, ensuring that our subscribers will have the most detailed local weather information available at their fingertips anytime, anywhere."

"DISH Network and their customers are extremely important to us, and maintaining and expanding our partnership is a high priority for our company," said Mike Kelly, CEO and President of The Weather Channel. "DISH Network will now be carrying two of our channels - The Weather Channel and a customized 24-hour, all-local weather information network - to provide even better service to their customers. We also look forward to working with DISH Network on other cross-platform and interactive initiatives, taking advantage of our leadership position in mobile and the Internet."

(dish.client.shareholder.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=472720)

#70 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:47 AM

I have e-mailed Dish Network on regarding Dish Network's press release on 3 separate occasions in the last month, one to customer support, one to ceo@dishnetwork.com and one to president@dishnetork.com.
The only reply I received was from the one to customer support and they had no idea of what I was talking about.
I now get the feeling this was all a smoke screen by Dish Network to get the Weather Channel to agree to Dish Network's pricing offer. So much for Dish Network's promise to their subscribers.

DISH Network and The Weather Channel Reach Agreement
Includes development of new full-time weather forecasting services

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. and ATLANTA, May 24, 2010 /PRNewswire via COMTEX News Network/ -- DISH Network L.L.C. and The Weather Channel today announced that they have reached a multi-year agreement for continued distribution of The Weather Channel on DISH Network's programming platform.

"Through this new partnership with The Weather Channel, DISH Network is giving our subscribers exactly what they've asked for and more. Not only are we developing a unique satellite service that provides localized weather 24/7, but also we'll soon deliver personalized weather reports via the Android mobile platform and the web," said Dave Shull, senior vice president of Programming for DISH Network. "This agreement recognizes the importance of cross-platform video delivery, ensuring that our subscribers will have the most detailed local weather information available at their fingertips anytime, anywhere."

"DISH Network and their customers are extremely important to us, and maintaining and expanding our partnership is a high priority for our company," said Mike Kelly, CEO and President of The Weather Channel. "DISH Network will now be carrying two of our channels - The Weather Channel and a customized 24-hour, all-local weather information network - to provide even better service to their customers. We also look forward to working with DISH Network on other cross-platform and interactive initiatives, taking advantage of our leadership position in mobile and the Internet."

(dish.client.shareholder.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=472720)

I liked the other weather channel they had. There's room for two.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#71 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,900 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:57 AM

I liked the other weather channel they had. There's room for two.

Not per The Weather Channel (the one owned by NBC etc. now) (Dish channel 214) :D

#72 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,787 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 10:47 AM

I'd like to see DISH keep this commitment. It doesn't even have to be in HD to satisfy me ... having an instant regional channel would be helpful (especially when TWC goes into stories mode and stops doing full screen weather coverage).

The technology is there ... the capacity for SD channels might be a little tight if too many regions are created but DISH could start with 6 or 12 regional channels and expand on that as needed.

It is a commitment that DISH should keep.

#73 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 665 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:38 AM

I'd like to see DISH keep this commitment. It doesn't even have to be in HD to satisfy me ... having an instant regional channel would be helpful (especially when TWC goes into stories mode and stops doing full screen weather coverage).

The technology is there ... the capacity for SD channels might be a little tight if too many regions are created but DISH could start with 6 or 12 regional channels and expand on that as needed.

I agree 1000%!!

#74 OFFLINE   fwampler

fwampler

Legend

• Registered
  • 170 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 02:49 PM

I think so too! But, I slowly losing hope of it happening.
Fred

#75 OFFLINE   Rob77

Rob77

Godfather

• Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 02:59 PM

and just to make matters worse........now they want to do less weather

http://www.hollywood...forecasts-32414

It's sad :mad:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...