Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish & Weather Channel Reach Agreement including new services

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,796 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:06 PM

We have pretty good local weather coverage here in my DMA... so honestly I never needed to turn to the Weather Channel much since I don't travel and thus don't need to know immediate weather conditions everywhere.

Sometimes during hurricane season it is worth a look to see if something is coming your way from somewhere far off... but otherwise, I'm pretty happy with the local weather coverage I get.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   samhevener

samhevener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:46 AM

I hope the new TWC interactive local radar is more "local" than in the past. The "local" for the Cleveland area is the radar of 7 states in one shot, microsized. My old cable system had a 3 or 4 county radar moving loop which was one of the only good things about cable.
AN OLD GEEZER WHO REMEMBERS THE DUMONT TELEVISION NETWORK AND IT'S TOP RATED "CAPTAIN VIDEO AND HIS VIDEO RANGERS", TV NEWS ANCHORMEN WEARING HATS DURING THE NEWSCAST, ONLY 180 SECONDS OF COMMERICALS EACH HALF HOUR, 3 STATIONS ON THE AIR WITH THEIR TEST PATTERNS AIRED FROM 2 TO 3PM, PROGRAMMING FROM 3PM TO 11:30 AND SIGNING OFF AT 11:30PM. HOW COULD I FORGET THE SINGLE FRAME VERTICAL ROLL WHEN THE STATIONS SWITCHED FROM NETWORK TO LOCAL OR LOCAL TO NETWORK AND THE TIME TONE ON THE HOUR.

#43 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 734 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:19 AM

My problem with the TWC interactive radar is that the label for Philidelphia covers all of northern Maryland down to DC. At least TWCast interactive app dropped the useless labels. If you can't find Philidelphia on a map, then you probably won't understand the radar.

I wonder if TWC will show Purple Rain next ;)
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#44 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,114 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:37 AM

I wonder if TWC will show Purple Rain next ;)

The Weather Underground (2002) :rolleyes:

#45 OFFLINE   DF Wavelength

DF Wavelength

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:22 AM

When we were still installing C-Band receivers in SMATV systems for hotels, The Weather Channel had this separate device called a WeatherStar (I think that is what it was called).
It basically picked up on a data stream from the same C-Band satellite, and then it would take over the bottom of the screen for TWC and show local weather, 24/7. This was a very useful tool for hotel guests.
When we started upgrading our headends to Dish Network, that service went away with the c-band stuff.
I always wondered when TWC would set something up with Dish Network to provide more local data.

#46 OFFLINE   JWKessler

JWKessler

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:03 AM

When we were still installing C-Band receivers in SMATV systems for hotels, The Weather Channel had this separate device called a WeatherStar (I think that is what it was called).
It basically picked up on a data stream from the same C-Band satellite, and then it would take over the bottom of the screen for TWC and show local weather, 24/7.

As an old C-Band user myself, I remember when the Weather Channel would deliver "local weather" using the Video Cypher graphics. Basically they gave us a rolling list of cities with weather conditions, nothing specific to a zip code.

#47 OFFLINE   NYBuddy

NYBuddy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:31 AM

Then probably they will be put back on the phones on Dish Network's tech support line.

LMFAO! :lol:

#48 OFFLINE   BillRadio

BillRadio

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:49 AM

So, NBC Universal wins out again and the subscribers do not get a useful service.

If you don't like NBC Universal now, just wait until Comcast buys it (The application is moving ahead smoothly). I can't believe how little opposition there is to the deal. Get ready to say goodbye to NBC O&O's, NBC network, CNBC, TWC, USA, etc. on Dish & Direct. I can't see any reason why Comcast can't cut them all off.

Also, expect Comcast to take the FCC's offer to sell some of their new O&O TV spectrum for wireless broadband. Does this bother anyone else?

#49 OFFLINE   mbgm

mbgm

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:17 AM

I welcome this new weather channel if it lives up to what they are saying.
If this joint venture between The Dish Network and The Weather Channel can provide a new interactive channel that will give local weather information then this is absolutely great news!
I live in Hawaii and when ever I tuned to The Weather Channel all the information was basically for the mainland 48 continental states and very little weather information was about Hawaii or Alaska. But now at last and finally it will be fantastic to have a 24/7 channel dedicated to weather service information for my local area of the country on my TV.
This is excellent news and long over-due especially for the US residence of Hawaii viewers.
Well done and Thank you. :)

#50 OFFLINE   Dave

Dave

Icon

• Registered
  • 864 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:41 AM

mbgm,

Let me welcome you to dbstalk. Glad to see you here. There are a lot of members with some a very vast knowledge of DirectV and Dish on board. Please enjoy yourself on here. Once again welcome aboard.

#51 OFFLINE   pjmrt

pjmrt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,939 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 02:13 AM

well, I too sadly never saw the weather cast channel during its brief stay on dish. And the weather channel is even more inferior than it was since (at least on my receiver) the interactive option to go direct to my local conditions/forecast is gone. I can go to channel 100 and get them, but that's a hassel.

I fully agree with those who want a weather channel that IS WEATHER 24/7. TWC is now mostly an entertainment channel w/ movies, ... just like many other channels which do it better. TWC should rename itself OWC, the Occasional Weather Channel. Sure weather (or news) can be boring when not much is changing. But if its 4 am and you really want to know what the conditions are or the forecast - well what is the point of having several hundred channels available to you?

#52 OFFLINE   eckertman

eckertman

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts
  • LocationWoodstock,IL

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:45 AM

Hopefully the SOON relaunch of 213 ... DISH changed the slate to something prettier than the white on blue text. The quicker they get real content on 213 the better - even if they have to start out with a 24/7 weather loop aired nationally that is broken down into something regional later.

They took 213 away from us completely. Does this mean the channel will not happen?

#53 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,114 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:43 AM

They took 213 away from us completely. Does this mean the channel will not happen?

No ... it just isn't summer yet.

News release from Dish:

The deal provides for collaboration between both companies in developing state-of-the-art, full-time weather forecasting services designed specifically for satellite customers, including localized weather programming on DISH Network Ch. 213 (in addition to The Weather Channel's main feed on Ch. 214), interactive TV applications, as well as new Internet and mobile services. Deployment of the new services will begin this summer.

#54 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:11 PM

No ... it just isn't summer yet.

It IS meteorological summer. :D
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#55 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,114 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:17 PM

For the rest of us it won't be summer until June 21st ... It is still spring.

Summer won't be over until Fall ... September 21st?
(And the end of meteorological summer a few weeks earlier, for the meteorologists out there.)

#56 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,524 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 03 June 2010 - 01:05 PM

You couldn't tell it by our weather this year. Another rainy day.:(

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#57 OFFLINE   tvwatcher365

tvwatcher365

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:27 AM

Well at least The Weather Channel dropped the "Flick and a Forecast" abomination on Friday nights. They now air either Weather Center or taped programming like "Storm Stories" or "Tornado Road". Movies on a weather channel never made sense to begin with. Now if they could only get rid of the guy that occupies the 6 and 10am blocks.

#58 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:41 PM

You couldn't tell it by our weather this year. Another rainy day.:(

Then come down here it's frickin 95 degrees!.:grin:;):flaiming!pepsi!:eek2:

#59 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,524 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 05 June 2010 - 02:12 PM

Then come down here it's frickin 95 degrees!.:grin:;):flaiming!pepsi!:eek2:

Ah well, as much as I'm complaining, over 85° is outside my comfort zone.

Today it's already 70° and getting warmer.:D

But they still left a 20% chance of rain in the forecast overnight.:(

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#60 OFFLINE   Dave

Dave

Icon

• Registered
  • 864 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:56 PM

We only got up to 106 today. Have had a cool spring.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...