Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MRV - What killed it for my family

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:06 AM

One little thing really killed MRV functionality for my family - the inability to sort the recorded program list by source DVR. We really disliked the fact that everything was thrown together.

I'm probably in the minority, but it would be so great if we could only sort the playlist by DVR name...

The other negative factor for my wife was the inability to watch live TV from the "other" DVR. Right now, I have them hooked up (upstairs/downstairs) with coax. It's not HD, and it's not stereo, but it's great if we have too much recording on one of our DVRs. I think we'd lose that ability with Whole House DVR, no?

Am I crazy for asking for this (or am I misunderstanding WHDVR functionality)?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,160 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:11 AM

One little thing really killed MRV functionality for my family - the inability to sort the recorded program list by source DVR. We really disliked the fact that everything was thrown together.

I'm probably in the minority, but it would be so great if we could only sort the playlist by DVR name...

The other negative factor for my wife was the inability to watch live TV from the "other" DVR. Right now, I have them hooked up (upstairs/downstairs) with coax. It's not HD, and it's not stereo, but it's great if we have too much recording on one of our DVRs. I think we'd lose that ability with Whole House DVR, no?

Am I crazy for asking for this?

You can watch "live" from the server DVR. I don't understand that complaint at all. :confused:

As for sorting, that's long been a complaint of mine - I still don't see why Triple-Tap can't be included in the Playlist, or why SmartSearch doesn't search Playlist content. Both of these seem so obvious - it probably means, however, that there is "something better" than a simple unified Playlist on the technological roadmap.

In the meantime, I happy to pay for MRV - with 5 DVRs in 5 different rooms, it makes things much better to never have to worry where something is physically recorded.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#3 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:13 AM

think what he means is they expected to be able to stream live tv from the dvr in other room. does not work that way,
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#4 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,160 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:16 AM

think what he means is they expected to be able to stream live tv from the dvr in other room. does not work that way,

Okay, why is that even an issue? :confused:

If you have a receiver locally, why do you need to stream anything "live" from another location?

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#5 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:18 AM

dunno, maybe expecting it to be somewhat like Dishs' setup where you send to 2 tv's ?
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#6 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:23 AM

I understand the issue with the playlist. I have to assume that they know this is not a long term solution and they have changes planned.

As to live TV from the other DVR, there are two workarounds. One is to put one of the recordings on the other DVR, leaving 1 tuner watching live TV. (Afterall, with the unified playlist, it really doesn't matter what DVR the program is on.) If that's unacceptable, just go to the other DVR and press record on the live buffer. Then you can go and watch it over MRV, because it is a recording.

With MRV, it can take a little bit of analyzing your watching patterns. You would want to determine when you tend to watch a particular TV, and keep that DVR open with 1 tuner for live TV. After all, even before MRV, she couldn't watch live TV on that unit if 2 things were recording. That doesn't change with MRV. It doesn't get any better, but it certainly doesn't make things worse.
DogLover

My Setup

#7 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:25 AM

Oh, and as long as it is a separate coax that you are using for SD distribution of the TV signal, that should work fine even with MRV. (If you are diplexing it, then it is a problem.)
DogLover

My Setup

#8 OFFLINE   BudShark

BudShark

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:25 AM

Am I crazy for asking for this (or am I misunderstanding WHDVR functionality)?

Sorting playlist by DVR name was in some initial tests and removed. The problem is, and has been discussed extensively, this solution doesn't make sense when the Whole Home DVR with many tuners is released (since there is only 1 DVR to sort) and it requires you to "know" where programs are sorted and stored. Makes sense for some people, but DirecTV felt this was a step in the wrong direction and abandoned it.

In terms of watching "live" TV from other DVRs because the DVR is already recording 2 programs but another DVR has a free Tuner? No, its not there. Again, it seems what you are looking for is the mythical HMC30 that has been discussed and seen at CES. This would be a many-tuner box, with clients that might have a local tuner or maybe not. But since the box would have >2 tuners, you would generally find a free "live" tuner to watch.

The true Whole Home DVR is not here yet. The current ability to watch playlists off another DVR in the house is a nice stop-gap feature and in some cases makes great sense. In your case, it sounds like its better, but not the final solution. For that you need the HMC30 with clients (or whatever it ends up being - the True Whole Home DVR).

#9 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:26 AM

Okay, why is that even an issue? :confused:

If you have a receiver locally, why do you need to stream anything "live" from another location?

What I got from the OP's OP was that his wife wanted WHDS to stream live video from a remote DVR so if the DVR she was at was recording two shows she didn't want to watch she could watch something live from another DVR in the house. My simple solution to that would be to have a HD receiver at the main location so you would never have that dilemma. Let the remote DVRs record to their hearts' content-you'd just "cherrypick" what they were recording or watch live from your single tuner.

A workaround would be to record the show you want to watch on a remote DVR and then stream the recording. I did it last night watching the "Lost" "pre-game" show. I was late getting home from a run to the store so I watched the streamed recording from the master bedroom in the living room. It was maybe a second more delayed that it normally would be as the master bedroom DVR recorded Lost in HD but (as the TV in that room is presently a SDTV) my wife watched the SD feed of the station. It creates an interesting delay if the bedroom door is left open.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#10 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:28 AM

The true Whole Home DVR is not here yet.

I guess that's why they changed the name to "Whole Home DVR Service"

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#11 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:29 AM

The only reason to watch "Live" from another room would be if you want to watch something live while two other things are recording. You can kludge this by going to the other DVR and hitting record on the live channel you want to watch, but you can't channel surf.

Alternatively, you could move one of those recordings from the DVR you are using and record it in the remote location. With MRV, it would still be available to you on that DVR and you'd have a free tuner to channel surf.

Once you load balance your recordings across DVRs, you'll find that you watch TV differently and sort programs differently than you used to. Now, "Mom" doesn't have to have her recordings in the bedroom while "Dad" has his in the family room (or some facsimile). Recordings can live where they are most convenient and can be viewed in whichever location you happen to be sitting. Over time, you'll find that the unified playlist is actually easier to get to "your" shows than trying to remember which DVR you recorded it on. Yeah, it seems like the right way when you first start, but really, it's not that convenient when shows are on 3 or 4 different places anyway.

I'd much rather be able to build my own personal list of programs so that I could go to "Dad's" list and not concern myself about where it is, but what it is.

Honestly, for me MRV is almost as important as HD in terms of a feature.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#12 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,076 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:01 AM

It sort of does with a kludge. In the fall, I have both tuners recording in my media room. So I set MNF to record on the playroom DVR. I just select that recording and FF to get caught up.

So I am sort of streaming it live, but not really.

Once we get, if we ever get it, the ability to set recordings on other DVR's, this will be much easier.

I am getting used to the UPL, but I do wish I could reject a playlist from my UPL. I don't want to see all the different shows my daughter records on "my" tv's. Just let me eliminate them from "my" UPL.

My Setup

#13 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:17 AM

Thanks for the comments :)

Many of you are right - we may have 2 recordings going on upstairs, but want to watch live TV from downstairs (let's say it's a live sports event). I don't think you can do that with WHDVR right now.

As far as the playlist list goes, I'd love for the option for each DVR to have its own tab OR to have its own "color" in the playlist. Actually, anything to let me know who's DVR it's coming from (in my home, the downstairs DVR is my wife's and the upstairs is mine).

Perhaps that's obsolete thinking, but it really does help us keep our stuff organized.

#14 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:21 AM

Actually, anything to let me know who's DVR it's coming from (in my home, the downstairs DVR is my wife's and the upstairs is mine).

It says what DVR it is recorded on, right at the start of the description of the program when highlighted.

My usage (with 6 DVRs), we simple sort by Alpha... and the performance of MRV is such, that we just don't care what DVR it was recorded on.

If we want to watch that program, we just watch it where we are.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#15 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,081 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:22 AM

Thanks for the comments :)

Many of you are right - we may have 2 recordings going on upstairs, but want to watch live TV from downstairs (let's say it's a live sports event). I don't think you can do that with WHDVR right now.

As far as the playlist list goes, I'd love for the option for each DVR to have its own tab OR to have its own "color" in the playlist. Actually, anything to let me know who's DVR it's coming from (in my home, the downstairs DVR is my wife's and the upstairs is mine).

Perhaps that's obsolete thinking, but it really does help us keep our stuff organized.

Actually, that's been discussed here in various threads for some time.

Being able to filter by DVR (so that kids, for example, don't see the contents of the parents DVR) has been a desirable capability mentioned by others.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#16 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:26 AM

The only reason to watch "Live" from another room would be if you want to watch something live while two other things are recording.

Or, if you want the ability to rewind or pause live TV on a receiver that isn't a DVR.

For instance, I'm planning to add a receiver for my deck, I considered getting a receiver (and not a DVR) and likely would have, had there there the ability to stream live from a sever DVR so that I could pause and rewind sports.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#17 OFFLINE   WholeHomeDVR

WholeHomeDVR

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:47 AM

What killed it for me was when I turned on MRV/Multi-Room-Viewing/Whole-Home DVR Service I saw how it bogged down the playlist. Then I turned it off. Did not even give it a chance.

Maybe it is because I was using the second port on the DVR, the one you are not supposed to use for anything (why is it there?). The HR22 and R22 boxes are located side by side so i connected them using the secondary ethernet port, or maybe it was because I was not using DECA. But i am sure all my coax cable will not pass and it will need to be rewired...

All those who have been running the beta on Ethernet need to have DECA installed? After the Ethernet setup was working for months??

I have the pretend HD box (R22) so I am not allowed to have the functionality...

It will be interesting how the roll-out goes. Installing connected home is way more technical than 'old installs'...

#18 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:51 AM

Or, if you want the ability to rewind or pause live TV on a receiver that isn't a DVR.

For instance, I'm planning to add a receiver for my deck, I considered getting a receiver (and not a DVR) and likely would have, had there there the ability to stream live from a sever DVR so that I could pause and rewind sports.

Yes, this is a good point .. I still think, though, that regardless of situation, you will need to start a recording. That seems to make sense. If you took over the Live TV buffer, what would that mean to the person that walks into the room with that DVR? Would the program being streamed be on the screen (including trick plays, etc.), would their be a screen saver saying that someone else in the house is using the Live TV Buffer and asking to interrupt the remote session?

I think from a practical point of view the only way to do it is by watching a recorded program .. then it doesn't interfere with the local viewing at all (short of taking one of the recording buffers I suppose).

Still, I can see where remote start/stop of recordings might be useful for folks to kludge through this. With the standalone, you should be able to do this already.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.

#19 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:54 AM

What killed it for me was when I turned on MRV/Multi-Room-Viewing/Whole-Home DVR Service I saw how it bogged down the playlist. Then I turned it off. Did not even give it a chance.

Maybe it is because I was using the second port on the DVR, the one you are not supposed to use for anything (why is it there?). The HR22 and R22 boxes are located side by side so i connected them using the secondary ethernet port, or maybe it was because I was not using DECA. But i am sure all my coax cable will not pass and it will need to be rewired...

All those who have been running the beta on Ethernet need to have DECA installed? After the Ethernet setup was working for months??

I have the pretend HD box (R22) so I am not allowed to have the functionality...

It will be interesting how the roll-out goes. Installing connected home is way more technical than 'old installs'...

When did you try it/give up on it? I don't see any slowness in the list whether it is local or all three of my DVRs. There was some slowness in early CE but that is gone now. The only slowness I see is when I start a program from another DVR, it takes a bit longer to start. Otherwise, I cannot determine which DVR I am on.

BTW, I am still using ethernet. I had DirecTV add the service as unsupported.

Not sure that adding the DECA is much more complicated than the old installs. If you want to be connected to the internet for on demand, you just need to tie it to your network. Otherwise, it is just another box at each DVR and SWiM is a standard install these days.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#20 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:56 AM

I don't see how the whole house service changes this. If you have two things recording on a DVR, you cannot watch a third live. If you have whole home and make both units DVRs, you can put one recording on each machine, access it wherever you want and still have a live tuner on each. The only cost differential is the up-front cost.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

Protected By... spam firewall...And...