Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MRV - What killed it for my family

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,692 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:18 AM

Actually, that's been discussed here in various threads for some time.

Being able to filter by DVR (so that kids, for example, don't see the contents of the parents DVR) has been a desirable capability mentioned by others.

This is similar to the problem I'm having with reluctance by some here to the prospect of MRV (not installed yet). Particularly so for a house of adults with their own boxes in bedrooms or some other as in my situation.

They are not exactly high on sharing the full contents of their playlists, and consider MRV as allowing for snooping.

If they have recorded things like "Adult programming" you get the idea.

Instead of a simple all or nothing Share playlist option we really need the ability allow individual programs by check box to be shared or not.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,409 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:19 AM

This is similar to the problem I'm having with reluctance by some here to the prospect of MRV (not installed yet). Particularly so for a house of adults with their own boxes in bedrooms or some other as in my situation.

They are not exactly high on sharing the full contents of their playlists, and consider MRV as allowing for snooping.

Instead of a simple all or nothing Share playlist option we really need the ability allow individual programs by check box to be shared or not.

Yup - even though I personally have no need for this...that scenario seems to have a number of use-cases that justify it to be considered.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#28 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,275 posts
  • LocationLittleton, Colorado

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:29 AM

If two programs are recording on my main DVR and I want to watch a third I either use the I phone app to start a recording in another room, or do the same with my laptop on DirecTV.com. Then I watch it almost live from the play list. I don't even have to move from my chair. I also have a third option which is Slingbox.

#29 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• Registered
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:30 AM

Is there an official MRV wish list?

My #1 improvement would be a Play On All Receivers mode. I will record something off of C-SPAN and then play it back as I'm working around the house. I want the same program on all sets. I don't see a way to do that.

My work-around is to just have the audio playing throughout the house. It is C-SPAN, after all.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#30 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,930 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:39 AM

$8 a month. He doesn't need a second receiver.

... unless I missed something. :(

~Alan

I thought he already had 2 DVRs and distributed each to the other location .. I wasn't talking about adding or removing anything. Just using video distribution instead of MRV.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#31 OFFLINE   webhype

webhype

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts
  • LocationRaleigh/Durham, NC

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:40 AM

You need to have Ratings limits on the client receivers and it will take care of restricted access to certain titles (I think blocking titles also) from each DVR. I have Ratings limits set on all my receivers and it accomplishes this.

#32 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 9,062 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:48 AM

I thought he already had 2 DVRs and distributed each to the other location .. I wasn't talking about adding or removing anything. Just using video distribution instead of MRV.

Apparently I did miss something... namely that he had 2 DVRs... :(

I thought he was saying that he had a coax cable going from his downstairs DVR to his bedroom TV... Prior to getting my HR23-700 and moving the HR20-700 to my bedroom, this is the way I had TV in my bedroom... and what I thought he meant.

~Alan

#33 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 9,062 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:49 AM

You need to have Ratings limits on the client receivers and it will take care of restricted access to certain titles (I think blocking titles also) from each DVR. I have Ratings limits set on all my receivers and it accomplishes this.

That would only work if they didn't have a problem having a ratings limit on their DVRs. ;)

Note that not all TV-MA titles have their titles blocked with ratings limits set either... and some information is still present even with ratings limits set.

~Alan

#34 OFFLINE   webhype

webhype

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts
  • LocationRaleigh/Durham, NC

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:54 AM

That would only work if they didn't have a problem having a ratings limit on their DVRs. ;)

Note that not all TV-MA titles have their titles blocked with ratings limits set either... and some information is still present even with ratings limits set.

~Alan

True, it is not a catch all and setting "blocked all unrated" becomes a real issue when the guide data doesn't contain this information. I wonder if setting blocked channels on the client receiver will accomplish prohibiting certain channels from playing, I have to try it.

On another, somewhat related note - there is really no content control on the Netflix streaming my kids have access to from their game consoles. Something I discovered recently when looking at my Instant viewing activity.

#35 OFFLINE   Hdhead

Hdhead

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:55 AM

I love the elegant solutions for flexibility that the Hxx receivers offer when you have them networked with 2 or more HRxx's. Many more options than when using the HRxx exclusively. With my DECA fully operational I was sitting on my deck this weekend with an H24-100. I had absolute full control of the 4 DVR's in the house (can set up to 8 simultaneous recordings) plus watch live TV all on the H24-100. Pretty amazing when you stop to think about it.:)
2 - HR20-100s
1 - HR21-100
1 - HR21-700
1 - HR34 Genie
1 - H24-100
1 - H24-200
SWM16/DECA

#36 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,692 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:05 PM

~Alan

My point exactly, as I said I have a home of several adults who want their boxes set on an unrestricted ratings limit, but yet for privacy wish to restrict what they would be willing to share through MRV.

So I really need an individual program Playlist selection capability for my situation.

#37 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 9,062 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:10 PM

New capabilities such as a DVR-specific sort are enough of a challenge.

In the GUIDE, you can filter specific types... hopefully they can come up with a similar function designed to temporarily filter the results.

Some people may want them to go farther, but I'd be happy with just a filter option.

The problem with opening things up too much is it introduces a new potential layer of problems....some people may not configure things properly, others many simply not know how to do it, and then the code itself could introduce some regression issues.

That's why I think that the current setup makes an excellent default! :)

As for the code, well, hopefully $3 x xxxxxx gives a little incentive to make it the best it can be....

I could come up with a series of suggested things I'd like to see that maybe 95% of the rest of the DVR community may not need/desire. The risk/reward to most users going beyond that seems questionable for the mainstream user base IMHO.

I know that better than most, apparently! ;)

However, I just think that a $3 charge deserves a few more customization options...

~Alan

#38 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:25 PM

Alan,
Yep, I have 2 HR20-700's.

It's not adult programming I'm worried about - it's weeding through things like "Dancing With the Stars" and "All My Children" :)

#39 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 9,062 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:39 PM

Alan,
Yep, I have 2 HR20-700's.

It's not unusual for me to misread something! ;)

It's not adult programming I'm worried about - it's weeding through things like "Dancing With the Stars" and "All My Children" :)

Yeah, that line of discussion kind of branched off from your earlier posts, though mine is certainly closer to your issues as I don't have to worry about any "adult programming" showing up.

~Alan

#40 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,539 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:08 PM

Sorting playlist by DVR name was in some initial tests and removed. The problem is, and has been discussed extensively, this solution doesn't make sense when the Whole Home DVR with many tuners is released (since there is only 1 DVR to sort) and it requires you to "know" where programs are sorted and stored. Makes sense for some people, but DirecTV felt this was a step in the wrong direction and abandoned it.

. . . .

Shame on them. For me, it's not important, but for large families this is probably a very important feature.

Maybe with HD/GUI they can at least color-code each DVR.

And what if the monster multi-tuner with its expensive massive HD doesn't take off because of price? Putting all your eggs in one basket is not a smart business practice. And anyway, that's probably years away. A lot of DECA customers need DVR sorting now.

Edited by Drucifer, 24 May 2010 - 01:17 PM.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Bsm: HR24-1, Den HR24-2, MB: HR24-5, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#41 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:29 PM

What killed it for me was when I turned on MRV/Multi-Room-Viewing/Whole-Home DVR Service I saw how it bogged down the playlist. Then I turned it off. Did not even give it a chance.

Maybe it is because I was using the second port on the DVR, the one you are not supposed to use for anything (why is it there?). The HR22 and R22 boxes are located side by side so i connected them using the secondary ethernet port, or maybe it was because I was not using DECA. But i am sure all my coax cable will not pass and it will need to be rewired...

All those who have been running the beta on Ethernet need to have DECA installed? After the Ethernet setup was working for months??

I have the pretend HD box (R22) so I am not allowed to have the functionality...

It will be interesting how the roll-out goes. Installing connected home is way more technical than 'old installs'...

Just replace the R22 with an H21 or better and you can still run it without DECA. $3 a month ain't bad.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...