Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

1 HR24 with 6 H24s - is this OK?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dschamis

dschamis

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:07 AM

I currently have 7 TVs in my house. If I get one HR24 and six H24s, will I be able to watch DVR'd content on all 6 of the receivers or is there some limit to the number of receivers that one HR24 can service?

Also, I think this is an obvious question but I will ask it anyway - all 6 of the H24s will be able to tune live TV independently, right? So in other words I can watch seven different things at one time (if I ever really needed to).

Thanks,

David

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   djousma

djousma

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:09 AM

No. Only one streamed show at a time. Might want one or two more DVR's.

Each of the receivers can watch live TV independantly, but DVR recorded material is a different story.

Setup

• Slimline Dish connected to SWM-16
  • Whole home DVR with DECA
  • HR44-500 connected via HDMI to 52" Sharp Aquos LC52D62U
  • HR24-500 connected via HDMI to 42" LG LCD
  • HR20-700 connected via HDMI to 32" Panasonic TC-L32X1
  • Apple Airport Extreme
  • 30/5 Charter Cable

#3 OFFLINE   mobandit

mobandit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:09 AM

I'm sure there is some limit, but I don't think you've reached it....

Just be aware that the DVR will not be able to serve a stream to all six receivers at one time...only one active stream at a time, if I remember correctly.

All seven boxes would be able to tune a different live TV channel at the same time...

ETCM (SS/SW), USN (RET)
22 years, 4 months, 9 days

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:10 AM

Yes to most. Remember that the DVR can/will only work with one client at a time, so with 6 of them, only one at a time for MRV and the others would need to do live TV themselves.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:11 AM

I currently have 7 TVs in my house. If I get one HR24 and six H24s, will I be able to watch DVR'd content on all 6 of the receivers or is there some limit to the number of receivers that one HR24 can service?

Also, I think this is an obvious question but I will ask it anyway - all 6 of the H24s will be able to tune live TV independently, right? So in other words I can watch seven different things at one time (if I ever really needed to).

Thanks,

David

All 6 would be able to watch DVR'd content, but only 1 at a time. The HR24 can only send out 1 MRV stream. So, if that will not work for your situation, you may want to rethink your setup.
DogLover

My Setup

#6 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:12 AM

Thanks,

David

It can service all 6 but only one at a time. You could watch a recording on the DVR and a different or even the same recoding on one of the non DVRs. You would want one or two more DVRs. They don't need to be 24s. Of course you could watch any live programing on any unit at any time.

#7 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,664 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:18 AM

Put another way, if there are only two viewers in the home and one is sitting in front of the DVR, either can watch anything at any time. :)
/steve

#8 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:34 AM

As folks have noted, it's possible, but may not be practical in your situation. If there are only a couple of you and you will really only be watching one recording at a time regardless of location, it's probably fine to do this. If (and this is more likely with 7 TVs :)) on the other hand, you will want to make frequent use of both Live TV & Recordings, you should balance out your HR count .. perhaps add one or two more. If you had 3 HR24s and 4 H24s, all HR24s could watch a local recording while 3 of the four H24s could also watch a recording.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#9 OFFLINE   dschamis

dschamis

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:47 AM

As folks have noted, it's possible, but may not be practical in your situation. If there are only a couple of you and you will really only be watching one recording at a time regardless of location, it's probably fine to do this. If (and this is more likely with 7 TVs :)) on the other hand, you will want to make frequent use of both Live TV & Recordings, you should balance out your HR count .. perhaps add one or two more. If you had 3 HR24s and 4 H24s, all HR24s could watch a local recording while 3 of the four H24s could also watch a recording.

You guys have guessed right, in that I have a wife and three kids, so its not completely practical to only stream one show at a time.

So then the question is if I have multiple DVRs do I need to manage multiple DVRs recording lists? In other words, if I am going to want to stream two different show at the same time, do I need to think about that in advance and make sure that those two shows are recorded on two different DVRs?

Thanks again,

David

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:50 AM

You guys have guessed right, in that I have a wife and three kids, so its not completely practical to only stream one show at a time.

So then the question is if I have multiple DVRs do I need to manage multiple DVRs recording lists? In other words, if I am going to want to stream two different show at the same time, do I need to think about that in advance and make sure that those two shows are recorded on two different DVRs?

Thanks again,

David

Yes you do, otherwise if they're on one DVR, you're still limited by the single streaming limit.
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:04 AM

Also remember that to schedule a show on a DVR you have to do it from that DVR -- you can't schedule remotely. So be sure to place the DVR's where they are easiest to get to for scheduling.

#12 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:05 AM

Also remember that to schedule a show on a DVR you have to do it from that DVR -- you can't schedule remotely. So be sure to place the DVR's where they are easiest to get to for scheduling.

"but" with non DVRs you can schedule and pick which DVR.
A.K.A VOS

#13 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,096 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:07 AM

Or use a cell phone with the DirecTV app and do it that way as another alternative.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#14 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,664 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:09 AM

True, with one exception. While you can't schedule from one HR to another, you can schedule from an H to any HR it can see. It will also let you know if there's going to be a conflict.

To manage SL's on any HR, you have to be sitting in front of it.
/steve

#15 OFFLINE   ronkuba

ronkuba

Legend

• Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:10 AM

Not true. You can record from HD receiver.
(2)HR34-700:D
Swim16 All networked via DECA
Samsung PN64D8000
Samsung 40" LCD TV
Directv since 1995

#16 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:10 AM

I always forget the H's can do it since all I have are HR's :-).

#17 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,216 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:24 AM

Yes to most. Remember that the DVR can/will only work with one client at a time, so with 6 of them, only one at a time for MRV and the others would need to do live TV themselves.

I got my DVR to playback the the same show - not in sync - in two locations - the box it was recorded on and the client.

Read somewhere, that every DVR can show two programs to any two locations on the network.

As to the original poster with seven locations, I would suggest he needs more than one DVR. I would even suggest he get an 1 to 2 TB eSATA HD for more storage from the getgo.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#18 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:26 AM

I got my DVR to playback the the same show - not in sync - in two locations - the box it was recorded on and the client.

Read somewhere, that every DVR can show two programs to any two locations on the network.

Those two are: locally and one remote and not two remotely from the same DVR.
A.K.A VOS

#19 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,216 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:45 AM

I figure it out, for me at least, that I'm better off having my H's boxes in the rooms I do most of my TV watching (LR & Kit). Because this will allow me to take advantage of the 'autotune' feature of the H's boxes.

I setup 'autotune' in both boxes in the morning. So as I go back and forth to the kitchen during the day, both boxes will tune in to the shows I'm watching. Yes, I'm wasting electricity, by having both sets running, but in this age, both sets use almost as much power when they're in their 'off' state.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once

#20 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,216 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:19 PM

Thanks again,

David

Under the current DirecTV DECA Cloud - No. There will be one playback list. As you scroll thru the list, it will tell which DVR it is on. Currently we can't sort the list by which DVR it is on. But that's a software issue that will probably get upgraded down-the-line if enough of customers ask for this feature.

You're limited in playback by the number of tuners in the DRV.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once

Protected By... spam firewall...And...