Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Installers actually swapping receivers?

dvr

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   PhilipDC

PhilipDC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:24 PM

I have my Connected Home install this coming weekend. I have two HD DVRs (HR20-700 and HR21-100)--no problems there.
I'm getting a new HD DVR to replace a non-HD DVR (R16-300) on a HD TV. I'm also getting a new HD receiver to replace an old Tivo DVR (R-10).

Here's my dilemma--my 7 yo daughter uses the R16 and has it pretty much full of kids show and movies. She is upset that I am replacing that receiver--doesn't really understand or care about the HD upgrade she will get on that setup. I'm pretty sure I own the R-10, so they probably won't take it, but I'm guessing the R-16 is a lease. Any chance the installers leave the old receiver behind? Or can I get them to take the R-10 instead of the R-16?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:27 PM

I have my Connected Home install this coming weekend. I have two HD DVRs (HR20-700 and HR21-100)--no problems there.
I'm getting a new HD DVR to replace a non-HD DVR (R16-300) on a HD TV. I'm also getting a new HD receiver to replace an old Tivo DVR (R-10).

Here's my dilemma--my 7 yo daughter uses the R16 and has it pretty much full of kids show and movies. She is upset that I am replacing that receiver--doesn't really understand or care about the HD upgrade she will get on that setup. I'm pretty sure I own the R-10, so they probably won't take it, but I'm guessing the R-16 is a lease. Any chance the installers leave the old receiver behind? Or can I get them to take the R-10 instead of the R-16?

You can keep the R-16, but not have MRV with/from it.
The R-10 must go.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:29 PM

There shouldn't be any issue with the R10 being replaced with the new HD DVR. He is supposed to take the R10. Mainly to prevent it from being swapped again and again in the future.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#4 OFFLINE   PhilipDC

PhilipDC

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 02:01 PM

To both replies, I know the R-10 (to be replaced with just a receiver) and R-16 (replaced with an HD DVR) need to go--the question is whether installers are actually leaving with the old receivers. Ideally, I'm hoping the R-16 is left behind so my daughter can continue to watch the stuff on it even even though it won't be hooked up to the dish. Thanks.

#5 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,839 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 02:03 PM

Just tell them you want to keep the R16 active, they won't take it.

Just make sure they don't deactivate it when they call in.

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:09 PM

To both replies, I know the R-10 (to be replaced with just a receiver) and R-16 (replaced with an HD DVR) need to go--the question is whether installers are actually leaving with the old receivers. Ideally, I'm hoping the R-16 is left behind so my daughter can continue to watch the stuff on it even even though it won't be hooked up to the dish. Thanks.

Unless you've made some extra [cost] deal for this it isn't going to be replaced and if it is, you don't get to keep it.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   PhilipDC

PhilipDC

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:48 AM

Unless you've made some extra [cost] deal for this it isn't going to be replaced and if it is, you don't get to keep it.

Yes, I paid for it to be replaced--bought a new HD TV last August, but had not upgraded the DVR for it yet.
I remember instances in the past where installers were not actually taking the old receivers--that was the point of the original question. I'm not saying they SHOULD leave it--just wondering if they were for anyone that has already had the install.

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:01 AM

Yes, I paid for it to be replaced--bought a new HD TV last August, but had not upgraded the DVR for it yet.
I remember instances in the past where installers were not actually taking the old receivers--that was the point of the original question. I'm not saying they SHOULD leave it--just wondering if they were for anyone that has already had the install.

Is the R-16 leased?
If so, why would you think a "current model" would not be required to be returned, when taken out of service?
If you want to keep it on your account, then you could hold on to it and return it after you've watched the recordings.
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   PhilipDC

PhilipDC

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:30 AM

Is the R-16 leased?
If so, why would you think a "current model" would not be required to be returned, when taken out of service?
If you want to keep it on your account, then you could hold on to it and return it after you've watched the recordings.

I don't think that--please read my posts.

As for the leasing part of the question--I'm not sure. Here's how my bill lists my receivers:

Additional Receiver 5.00
Additional Receiver 5.00
Leased Receiver 5.00
Primary Leased Receiver 5.00

Does this mean 2 are leased and 2 are owned or is it just a quirk in their system that "leased" is not on the first 2?
I've been with Directv for 13 years, so I've lost track of when I got each receiver. I would guess that my 2 current HD DVRs are definitely both leased.

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:01 AM

I don't think that--please read my posts.

As for the leasing part of the question--I'm not sure. Here's how my bill lists my receivers:

Additional Receiver 5.00
Additional Receiver 5.00

Leased Receiver 5.00
Primary Leased Receiver 5.00

Does this mean 2 are leased and 2 are owned or is it just a quirk in their system that "leased" is not on the first 2?
I've been with Directv for 13 years, so I've lost track of when I got each receiver. I would guess that my 2 current HD DVRs are definitely both leased.

Those look like owned receivers.
A.K.A VOS

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dvr

Protected By... spam firewall...And...