Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

2 Ideas for MVR

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   love that tv

love that tv

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:11 PM

please take consideration before putting down my ideas.

1st idea. Is it possible for DTV to create an application that allows me to Manage my play list from my computer? so i can pull up all my DVRs and drag and drop my show series from DVR to another.

2nd idea. Is it possible to possibly block 1 show on a DVR to be shared. Instead of blocking an entire DVR? IE, lets say i record an adult movie in the bedroom. can I block that individual show and still see the programs i record in the bedroom in the living room?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,637 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:15 PM

"possible" sure.
Have no idea if or when though.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:16 PM

The first idea should be to change it to MRV. Makes more sense.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#4 OFFLINE   love that tv

love that tv

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:54 PM

Sorry Spartan, my brain is fixed on DVR. Thanks

#5 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:05 PM

No worries, just poking fun.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#6 OFFLINE   xmetalx

xmetalx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:33 PM

*MRV not MVR (in your title)

both very interesting ideas, I'd love to see if they implement things like this in the future..

Personally, I can't see how ALL home entertainment networks won't eventually have something like this (Remote management of all media stored on HDDVR's from a computer, STB, or slim client.)

I think I'd count on #2 as a possible candidate for a future CE.. suggest it to them on Twitter! (Those suggestions actually reach someone who might be able to make it reality)
#1 would take more time, and I'm not entirely sure D* is comfortable with an outside device (a computer) controlling (in some small manner, at least) a STB... but +2 for great ideas!
DirecTV employee since 2008
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

There's no place like ~/

#7 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:12 AM

2nd idea. Is it possible to possibly block 1 show on a DVR to be shared. Instead of blocking an entire DVR? IE, lets say i record an adult movie in the bedroom. can I block that individual show and still see the programs i record in the bedroom in the living room?

I believe current H/HR2X parental controls will achieve what you want them to do already.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#8 OFFLINE   love that tv

love that tv

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:47 AM

I believe current H/HR2X parental controls will achieve what you want them to do already.

parent controls would stop the program from being watched. but would it stop it from the title appearing in the playlist on the livingroom DVR?

#9 OFFLINE   love that tv

love that tv

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:03 AM

*MRV not MVR (in your title)

both very interesting ideas, I'd love to see if they implement things like this in the future..

Personally, I can't see how ALL home entertainment networks won't eventually have something like this (Remote management of all media stored on HDDVR's from a computer, STB, or slim client.)

I think I'd count on #2 as a possible candidate for a future CE.. suggest it to them on Twitter! (Those suggestions actually reach someone who might be able to make it reality)
#1 would take more time, and I'm not entirely sure D* is comfortable with an outside device (a computer) controlling (in some small manner, at least) a STB... but +2 for great ideas!

thanks xmetalx. I cant edit the title to read MRV. if an admin. could, that would be great. also, I will tweet the ideas. I understand that DTV might not be comfortable with Idea #2, but maybe they could incorporate a way for me to manage all my play list so i don't get multiple recordings. even an on-screen menu on the DVR would be great.

Choice Xtra with SF Locals, HD, DVR, MRV
LivingRoom DVR-HR24-500 with AM21 for Sacramento Locals
Loft DVR -HR20-700 with OTA for Sacramento Locals
Bedroom DVR -HR22-100

Networked with CAT5e, Netgear Router

#10 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:22 PM

tin foil hat on:

Maybe this is a way to increase revenue by making customers buy a separate DVR for their "private" recordings. :lol:

tin foil hat off:
DogLover

My Setup

#11 OFFLINE   DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:45 AM

parent controls would stop the program from being watched. but would it stop it from the title appearing in the playlist on the livingroom DVR?

The Playlist would read, "BLOCKED TITLE" for the program not allowed to be viewed from the parent-controlled receiver.

If one were to try to play it, it would ask for the four-digit pass code to temporarily unlock the receiver to play the program. Additionally, after putting in the code, pressing INFO will still produce a "Blocked Title" in the description even though the program is playing.
Slimline, WB616 (2), SWM8 (2), OTA, MRV (U)
Den: Sony KDS-60A3000 -> HR20-700; Sony KDL-40S2000 (5) -> HR20-700 (2) & HR20-100 (3)
Master Bed: Kuro PDP-5020FD -> HR34-700
Master Bath: Sony KDL-26S3000 + PSP -> HR24-200
Daughter's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR20-700
Son's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR24-500
Kitchen: Sharp 20" -> H24-700
Guest: Sharp 20" -> H20-100
Patio: SunbriteTV 3220 -> H25-500
Living Room: Sony 42" XBR Plasma -> HR20-100

Diagram of Setup

spam firewall