Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MRV question prior to pulling the trigger on ordering.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   slappyjunior

slappyjunior

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:19 AM

I am interested in adding MRV to my system but I have a few question prior to ordering. I have one HR20-700 and one HR21-700. Each receiver has two coax cables attached to them. My question is..Do I need to add any more coax cable runs to my existing sytem to run MRV? Can I use the existing coax cables? My router is located behind my family room tv connected to the HR21-700. My issue is I had coax cables installed inside my walls when we remodeled so running new cables would be a PIA. Do I need to add any other wiring?

Thanks,

Ro

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hitokage

hitokage

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:32 AM

It sounds like you should be good to go.

#3 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:42 AM

No need to add any more wiring. If you are going with a DirecTV install you will actually end up with an extra coax feed as only one line will be used.

You will find lots of reading here about SWiM and DECA technology. Both use a single feed of coax to make connectivity between your receivers a snap.

:welcome_s to DBSTalk!
Barry
MY SETUP
You can usually find me helping out in the Quiet Room on Friday chat night.

#4 ONLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:15 AM

With only 2 DVRs, you very likely do not have a multiswitch in place meaning each line comes directly from the dish into your DVRs.

The dish LNB will be replaced with a SWiM version so there will be only one line coming out of the dish. They will put in either a 2-way, 4-way or 8-way splitter and use one line to each receiver (instead of two). It is possible that one of the other lines at one of the locations will be used to send power back to the dish (it needs power to operate).

A possible configuration in your case:
Sat Dish [COLOR="Red"]<-[/COLOR]+-- [COLOR="Red"]<-[/COLOR]PI -- DECA [COLOR="Red"]<-[/COLOR]PI (-- Terminator)
           |             |
           |             +-- Ethernet to Switch
           |
           +-- DECA ----- Sat In (FTM-2)
           |     |
           |     +-- Ethernet to HR20-700
           |
           |
           +-- DECA ----- Sat In (SWM-2)
           |     |
           |     +-- Ethernet to HR21-700
           |
           |
           +-- Terminated

This assumes a 4-way splitter is used.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   slappyjunior

slappyjunior

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:30 AM

Thanks to all....will set up my appointment.

#6 OFFLINE   bsteeler05

bsteeler05

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:48 AM

With only 2 DVRs, you very likely do not have a multiswitch in place meaning each line comes directly from the dish into your DVRs.

The dish LNB will be replaced with a SWiM version so there will be only one line coming out of the dish. They will put in either a 2-way, 4-way or 8-way splitter and use one line to each receiver (instead of two). It is possible that one of the other lines at one of the locations will be used to send power back to the dish (it needs power to operate).

A possible configuration in your case:

Sat Dish [COLOR="Red"]<-[/COLOR]+-- [COLOR="Red"]<-[/COLOR]PI -- DECA [COLOR="Red"]<-[/COLOR]PI (-- Terminator)
           |             |
           |             +-- Ethernet to Switch
           |
           +-- DECA ----- Sat In (FTM-2)
           |     |
           |     +-- Ethernet to HR20-700
           |
           |
           +-- DECA ----- Sat In (SWM-2)
           |     |
           |     +-- Ethernet to HR21-700
           |
           |
           +-- Terminated

This assumes a 4-way splitter is used.

In that configuration if you were not hooking it up to an internet connection could the 3rd DECA go from the PI to another receiver? Would you need a second PI?

#7 ONLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:03 AM

In that configuration if you were not hooking it up to an internet connection could the 3rd DECA go from the PI to another receiver? Would you need a second PI?

The SWiM needs a power inserter

The Broadband DECA needs a power inserter

If you remove the broadband DECA, you would only need the one SWiM power inserter, the broadband DECA and second power inserter come together.

You could use the output of the SWiM power to a DECA that is connected to a receiver. The DECA gets it's power from the receiver in this situation and there is no need for that second power inserter.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#8 OFFLINE   bsteeler05

bsteeler05

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:08 AM

The SWiM needs a power inserter

The Broadband DECA needs a power inserter

If you remove the broadband DECA, you would only need the one SWiM power inserter, the broadband DECA and second power inserter come together.

You could use the output of the SWiM power to a DECA that is connected to a receiver. The DECA gets it's power from the receiver in this situation and there is no need for that second power inserter.

Awesome! Thanks for the clarification.

spam firewall