Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Power use of various DirecTV receivers?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tyoffice

tyoffice

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:03 PM

Has anyone measured the power use of their DirecTV receiver with a kill-a-watt or watts-up meter?

I measured my H23-600 with a watts-up pro meter and it averages 19.3 Watts in active modes (watch/record) and 18.0 Watts in standby/off mode.

I'm curious which models are the most efficient. Maybe we could get a thread going of people who have both a power meter and a DirecTV receiver.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:05 PM

This has been discussed before in a few threads. I think the HR20,21,22,23 use about 30 watts, and the HR24 uses about 24.

Here's a thread (also another thread linked in the second reply, by me, actually :)):

http://www.dbstalk.c...ght=power usage

#3 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:15 PM

Has anyone measured the power use of their DirecTV receiver with a kill-a-watt or watts-up meter?

I measured my H23-600 with a watts-up pro meter and it averages 19.3 Watts in active modes (watch/record) and 18.0 Watts in standby/off mode.

I'm curious which models are the most efficient. Maybe we could get a thread going of people who have both a power meter and a DirecTV receiver.

The DirecTV DVR's (R15, R22, HR's) pull between 20-25 watts depending on the input voltage, if it is turned "on", and if the fan is running. The DirecTV non-DVR receivers pull about 10 watts.

I turn my R22 and one of my R15's off (remove AC power) during the day when they are not recording anything as I have "time of use" electric rates and my daytime rate is about $0.25 per kWh. This saves me over $3 a month which almost pays the "lease" fee for one of them and they don't seem any worse for wear since I've been doing it for years now!!

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

spam firewall