Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MRV installation problem...installer stumped

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mbar

mbar

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:02 PM

Hi guys,

I apologize in advance as I'm not very tech savy but I was hoping to get a little troubleshooting advice from all of you if you wouldn't mind. I recently elected to have directv come out and install MRV on my three HD receivers. One of which is a HR 20-100 and the other two are newer units but I'm not sure which. I had previously gotten two of the units to work during the Beta using a wireless hook up and was pretty happy but for some stuttering on HD programing.

Anyway, I wanted to have the DECA on all three units and agreed to the $99 + $49 installation option.

Monday evening, the installers came out and put the 3 Decas on my unit and also had to swap out the LNP (is that right?) on my dish so I could be Swim compatible. They also installed a new power unit which I take to be the Swm splitter.

First problem was that by the end of Monday night, I had MRV in my two units that were not the HR 20-100. The HR 20-100 they could not figure out how to get to work. I saw the thread dedicated to this special case and realize that I might have been suffering this issue that others had suffered. At this point it was 10:00pm and I told the installer (who admitted to having near zero training) to have someone come back Tuesday and we'll figure it out.

Here is where it gets weird.

I woke up today (tuesday) to find that I had received the latest software update (mentions that I can now get 3d tv, etc.) but what was really interesting was that now MRV worked in all 3 rooms. This made me believe that the software download corrected the HR 20-100 issues that I'd had. So, I was happy thinking everything was fine.

Now my current problems. I come home from work to find "searching for satellite" on all 3 of my receivers. No reboots correct this problems. The installers from the previous night come out (I had kept my previously agreed apointment) and they are able to reboot everything (starting with the powered SWim splitter) and low and behold I have perfect satellite strength again and everything is working.

I enjoy 2 hours of perfect TV enjoyment with MRV functional in all 3 of my receivers and BOOM all of a sudden I get "searching for satellite" again on all three of my receivers.

I try to reboot the receivers the way the tech had but to no avail. I'm now left with the receivers that can't spot the satelite.

The installation company can't find anyone to send back out till tomorrow at earliest. Obviously, I'm very annoyed.

Based on the facts above, does anybody have any idea what might be causing the inability of the receivers to see the satelite? It works and then suddenly stops. It makes me think they used a faulty piece of equipment ( a splitter? the Swim thing? ) in the installation.

I apologize again for not being tech savy. Can anyone help me troubleshoot this?

Thank you for your time.

Mike

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,701 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:06 PM

First thing is to find & look at the SWiM PI that needs to power the dish.
is the light on?
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   mbar

mbar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:28 PM

Yes, the light is on. Power to that item is not the issue I don't think.

Interestingly, I was able to pull off the re-boot that the tech had done earlier today (power everything off, then power on the SWIM PI, then reboot each unit.) I was watching tv again for exactly 17 minutes before all units went back "searching for satellite."

It's like a piece of equipment that was installed is overloading.

#4 OFFLINE   mobandit

mobandit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:32 PM

did you re-run the Satellite Setup? If you previously didn't have SWM, and now do...you may need to reset your receivers to the correct dish type...

ETCM (SS/SW), USN (RET)
22 years, 4 months, 9 days

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,701 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:32 PM

Maybe not overloaded, but clearly dropping offline.
I'd guess more than likely it's a cabling issue, but on the outside it might be a defective SWiM LNB.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   mbar

mbar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:33 PM

did you re-run the Satellite Setup? If you previously didn't have SWM, and now do...you may need to reset your receivers to the correct dish type...

We did do this last night. It does have the correct dish information

#7 OFFLINE   mbar

mbar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:37 PM

Maybe not overloaded, but clearly dropping offline.
I'd guess more than likely it's a cabling issue, but on the outside it might be a defective SWiM LNB.

When I got MRV to work this morning (and it still works, by the way, I can watch shows recorded on my DVRs in any room, even as I can't watch live TV) and the only problem I was having was satelite signal, my fist assumption was that the new Swim LNB they installed was defective.

But since the tech was able to get the TV's working again just by rebooting the receivers and the Swim power unit, it made me think that the problem was not the LNB.

But...what do i know?

The installation company is coming out again tomorrow from 8-10 am.

I'm just afraid he'll get it working again and then it'll just break down again after he leaves. That's why I would love to figure out the issue so I can be sure he addresses it correctly.

#8 OFFLINE   my1423

my1423

Godfather

• Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 02:29 PM

Could be a bad lnb and once it heats up a little it shuts off, but i highly doubt it.

Sounds to me like the power inserter is not hooked up properly to port 1 and the receiver on port 1 is powering the lnb instead of the power inserter. It works for awhile and then the receiver trips an shuts off power turning off the lnb killing signal to all units.

Unplug all receivers and check that port one has power at the splitter. Swap cables till port one has power and plug it all back in.

spam firewall