Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HELP! MRV not working properly

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   grafixfreak

grafixfreak

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:19 PM

I had the whole home installed yesterday (finally after 2 no shows by the installer). This was the installer's first attempt-we referenced this board several times.
Im having a problem where not all boxes can see each other (and not all boxes can use OnDemand and TVapps).

My HR20s worked fine on my ethernet during the beta with a few hiccups every now and then.

My installer replaced my LNB with one that has a green label on it and replaced my my multiswitch with a SWM (green label on it). Also swapped R15-100 with R22-100 and H20-100 with H24-100.

Equipment:
1 HR20-100
1 HR20-100
1 H24-100
1 R22-100

HR20-100 (living room)-sees R22-100, OnDemand (shows up but when a program is selected to downloading, it says downloading has been paused and never downloads [so Im assuming it isnt working], and my network; gets error about not receiving guide information* which has caused a reset a couple times.

HR20-100 (bedroom)-sees R22-100, and my network [OnDemand (but no "browse by channels" and certain things "greyed" out or anything to download)]; also gets error about not receiving guide information*; and cant seem to keep an IP address in the 192 range

H24-100-sees HR20-100 (living room), R22-100 and network

R22-100-sees both HR20-100s,OnDemand -only one that downloads, and network.

No TVapps on any boxes.

On the DECAs connected to HR20s I see 2 green lights illuminated.

I am attaching a drawing of my setup for review in case my installer hooked something incorrectly and maybe I can fix it before I make a call to DTV to come look at it.

* not sure if this is CE related (both HR20s) but coincidentally started after MRV install.

edited: OnDemand only works on R22-does not work on any other box.
Thanks.[ATTACH]22220[/ATTACH]

Attached Thumbnails

• MRV_setup.png

Edited by grafixfreak, 26 May 2010 - 05:51 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:26 PM

Okay, a couple of things looking at your diagram.

For the HR20's you show the splitter before the DECA. In that case you need a Band Stop Filter (BSF) after the splitter and before the input to SAT1. Looking at your diagram, you have the RG-6 output of the DECA going to the SAT2 input on the HR20 for power, correct?

You also do not show a DECA for the R22. Do you have one there?

Lastly, do you have a PI for the DECA that is used to bridge to your home network?

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:28 PM

The R22-100 needs a DECA

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#4 OFFLINE   grafixfreak

grafixfreak

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:52 PM

Okay, a couple of things looking at your diagram.

For the HR20's you show the splitter before the DECA. In that case you need a Band Stop Filter (BSF) after the splitter and before the input to SAT1. Looking at your diagram, you have the RG-6 output of the DECA going to the SAT2 input on the HR20 for power, correct?

You also do not show a DECA for the R22. Do you have one there?

Lastly, do you have a PI for the DECA that is used to bridge to your home network?

- Merg

Thanks for your reply...and "YES" to all your questions. There is so many things involved in this setup I forgot a couple things-obviously important things...( I will make sure I update my image to show these items)

#5 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,724 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:13 PM

All DECAs should have three green LEDs.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:16 PM

All DECAs should have three green LEDs.

Whoops. Missed that.

@VOS:
Would he be better off switching the DECA and the splitters around for the HR20's so as not to use the BSF's? Is one of the two workarounds for the HR20's preferred over the other?

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#7 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,724 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:45 PM

Whoops. Missed that.

@VOS:
Would he be better off switching the DECA and the splitters around for the HR20's so as not to use the BSF's? Is one of the two workarounds for the HR20's preferred over the other?

- Merg

The DECA I don't think was ever the problem with the HR20-100, or its location. The plan A was changed to B because of SAT signal issues.
I still don't understand why plan A was changed to B, since they both should work the same, but they did.

Somewhere somebody changed the splitter in plan B and reported it made a difference, but again this too doesn't make any sense, other than in doing so they may have made a better coax connection by doing it, which if they'd found before, they wouldn't have needed to make the change.
Cabling/connectors can sometimes act squirrelly.
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   djousma

djousma

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:29 AM

My installer replaced my LNB with one that has a green label on it and replaced my my multiswitch with a SWM (green label on it).
HR20-100 (living room)-sees R22-100, OnDemand, and my network; gets error about not receiving guide information* which has caused a reset a couple times.

HR20-100 (bedroom)-sees R22-100, and my network [OnDemand (but no channels or anything to download)]; also gets error about not receiving guide information*; and cant seem to keep an IP address in the 192 range

* not sure if this is CE related (both HR20s) but coincidentally started after MRV install.
Thanks.

I find your above statement above a little "fishy". You say the installer replaced your LNB with a green label, and then also installed a SWiM8? Sounds like the LNB was already a SWM lnb. If so there isnt a need for the separate SWiM

I'm not the expert here, but could explain all your troubles you mentioned(that I highlighted).

Maybe I am misunderstanding.

Setup

• Slimline Dish connected to SWM-16
  • Whole home DVR with DECA
  • HR44-500 connected via HDMI to 52" Sharp Aquos LC52D62U
  • HR24-500 connected via HDMI to 42" LG LCD
  • HR20-700 connected via HDMI to 32" Panasonic TC-L32X1
  • Apple Airport Extreme
  • 30/5 Charter Cable

#9 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:17 AM

I find your above statement above a little "fishy". You say the installer replaced your LNB with a green label, and then also installed a SWiM8? Sounds like the LNB was already a SWM lnb. If so there isnt a need for the separate SWiM

I'm not the expert here, but could explain all your troubles you mentioned(that I highlighted).

I'm thinking that he does have a SWM LNB, and what he is calling a SWM8 is actually a SWS8 splitter. I base this on several items.
1) It seems to be the standard way of installation.
2) He shows the power inserter providing power to the LNB, not the SW?8.
3) The picture actually looks like an SWS8 splitter.

To the OP, does the SW?8 that you have look like your picture? Is it closer to 4"x1.5" (SWS8 splitter) or closer to 6"x6" (SWM8)?

Also, do you know if you went from a "5" LNB to a "3" LNB (or the other way around)? You might want to re-run satellite setup and make sure it has picked up the change.
DogLover

My Setup

#10 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:19 AM

The DECA I don't think was ever the problem with the HR20-100, or its location. The plan A was changed to B because of SAT signal issues.
I still don't understand why plan A was changed to B, since they both should work the same, but they did.

Somewhere somebody changed the splitter in plan B and reported it made a difference, but again this too doesn't make any sense, other than in doing so they may have made a better coax connection by doing it, which if they'd found before, they wouldn't have needed to make the change.
Cabling/connectors can sometimes act squirrelly.

Perhaps it's possible, with the -100s unique tunning, that it's not so much the deca band causing issues, but the deca's themselves filtering out a chunk that the -100s need, but others can live without.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#11 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:54 AM

I don't think you can expect the same precision in terminology that, say, VOS, would use from folks who haven't been following this technology closely. They tend to think the splitter is the SWM. This was a problem in another thread yesterday when the OP thought she was going to swap in a SWiM-16 when a SWM LNB had been installed.

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

#12 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,724 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:08 AM

Perhaps it's possible, with the -100s unique tunning, that it's not so much the deca band causing issues, but the deca's themselves filtering out a chunk that the -100s need, but others can live without.

Without some test equipment, it's hard to know what is going on.
I can't see how the -100 is using "some chunk" of the band the others aren't or don't need.
We've got:
SWiM comm 2.3 MHz
DECA ~500-600 MHz
SWiM starting and 978 MHz

"Anyway", the -100 seems to be a weird duck and not all the -700s have liked the SWiM-16, so :shrug:
A.K.A VOS

#13 OFFLINE   djousma

djousma

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:14 AM

I don't think you can expect the same precision in terminology that, say, VOS, would use from folks who haven't been following this technology closely. They tend to think the splitter is the SWM. This was a problem in another thread yesterday when the OP thought she was going to swap in a SWiM-16 when a SWM LNB had been installed.

Yea, after I posted, I looked at the diagram again, and came to the same conclusion that SWM meant the splitter, based on the picture.

Setup

• Slimline Dish connected to SWM-16
  • Whole home DVR with DECA
  • HR44-500 connected via HDMI to 52" Sharp Aquos LC52D62U
  • HR24-500 connected via HDMI to 42" LG LCD
  • HR20-700 connected via HDMI to 32" Panasonic TC-L32X1
  • Apple Airport Extreme
  • 30/5 Charter Cable

#14 OFFLINE   grafixfreak

grafixfreak

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:18 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I have attached some pictures that I quickly took this morning before leaving for work. The quality of some are not so good. I am attaching a picture of the LNB the installer swapped out on my dish; the splitter-like (I know it isnt a splitter but dont know what it is called) piece where the cables are attached coming into the house and the one cable that is attached to power supply "Power to SWM"; and some images of the SWM (Im assuming that is what it is) with all the cable going to my boxes and one cable going to the power unit attached "Signal to IRD." I hope this helps out my earlier explanation and diagram. If someone would like to see more pictures to better understand how I am connected, just let me know what you need to see and I can take some later on this evening.

I appreciate all the help.

Attached Thumbnails

• dish.jpg
  • from_dish.jpg
  • from_dish2.jpg
  • indoor_connection.jpg

#15 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,724 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:30 AM

I see:

• a SWMLNB
  • the ground block
  • the splitter
A better shot of the splitter might help. I also see connectors with blue bands which should be connectors with black bands [not that this is the issue, just not the correct connector].
A.K.A VOS

#16 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:35 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I have attached some pictures that I quickly took this morning before leaving for work. The quality of some are not so good. I am attaching a picture of the LNB the installer swapped out on my dish; the splitter-like (I know it isnt a splitter but dont know what it is called) piece where the cables are attached coming into the house and the one cable that is attached to power supply "Power to SWM"; and some images of the SWM (Im assuming that is what it is) with all the cable going to my boxes and one cable going to the power unit attached "Signal to IRD." I hope this helps out my earlier explanation and diagram. If someone would like to see more pictures to better understand how I am connected, just let me know what you need to see and I can take some later on this evening.

Picture 1 is a MRV-ready SWM LNB for 99/101/103 satellites. Pictures 2 and 3 are just a ground block with 1 output used. Picture 4 shows a rather sloppy installation of a SWM splitter and Power Inserter.

#17 OFFLINE   grafixfreak

grafixfreak

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:46 AM

I see:

A better shot of the splitter might help. I also see connectors with blue bands which should be connectors with black bands [not that this is the issue, just not the correct connector].

Ill try to get a better picture later on this evening. Thanks for taking a look.

#18 OFFLINE   grafixfreak

grafixfreak

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:48 AM

Picture 1 is a MRV-ready SWM LNB for 99/101/103 satellites. Pictures 2 and 3 are just a ground block with 1 output used. Picture 4 shows a rather sloppy installation of a SWM splitter and Power Inserter.

So in your opinion, would this sloppy installation warrant a call to DTV to come out and see why this is not working properly and clean up the initial install. Or is it something I could neaten up and fix to get this working?
Also, is this the proper equipment to have this working properly?

#19 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,724 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:50 AM

So in your opinion, would this sloppy installation warrant a call to DTV to come out and see why this is not working properly and clean up the initial install. Or is it something I could neaten up and fix to get this working?

My opinion would be "if I paid for".... I'd expect them to do it correctly.
A.K.A VOS

#20 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:54 AM

Rerun antenna setup on your HR20-100s .. They should pass both verification and validation stages.

Looks like you went from a WB68 setup viewing 99°, 101°, 103°, 110° and 119° .. The new LNB only sees 99°, 101°, and 103°. Your HR20s are likely trying to pull guide data from 119° which isn't possible. Once your redo the setup, it should recognize that it's an SL3S and the guide data issues will go away.

This may even fix your networking issues.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

spam firewall