Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HELP! MRV not working properly

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   grafixfreak

grafixfreak

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:55 AM

I hear you....but the installer really didnt know what he was doing as this was the first time he actually did this. It took him over 4 hours and I think I knew more about it, from reading posts here.

I guess I should call DTV to come and fix it. I do have the protection plan.
I was trying to avoid calling them, because it took me 3 times(2 no shows/no calls) to get someone out to install.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,920 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:56 AM

Yeah, the work is a bit sloppy. Should have been tidied up.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#23 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:56 AM

So in your opinion, would this sloppy installation warrant a call to DTV to come out and see why this is not working properly and clean up the initial install. Or is it something I could neaten up and fix to get this working?

Whether it's sloppy or not, if everything is not working properly, a call to DTV is warranted to get it fixed. If customers are going around cleaning up the mess installers leave, DTV is not going to be aware of the serious mistakes being made.

By the way, how far inside your house is that Ground Block, and where does that green ground wire go?

#24 OFFLINE   grafixfreak

grafixfreak

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:57 AM

Thanks Doug, Ill give that a try later this evening.

#25 OFFLINE   grafixfreak

grafixfreak

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:00 AM

Whether it's sloppy or not, if everything is not working properly, a call to DTV is warranted to get it fixed. If customers are going around cleaning up the mess installers leave, DTV is not going to be aware of the serious mistakes being made.

By the way, how far inside your house is that Ground Block, and where does that green ground wire go?

I live in a townhouse. The dish is installed on a balcony which runs the length of the garage plus maybe another 8 feet. And at this moment, I am not sure where the ground wire goes to...but I think there is something nearby attached to a copper water pipe....I could be wrong.

#26 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,920 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:00 AM

This is a good point .. The ground block should be outside the house, not inside.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#27 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:05 AM

I live in a townhouse. The dish is installed on a balcony which runs the length of the garage plus maybe another 8 feet. And at this moment, I am not sure where the ground wire goes to...but I think there is something nearby attached to a copper water pipe....I could be wrong.

The reason I asked is I'm not sure that complies with NEC.

#28 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:20 AM

at least he tried.. and here a copper pipe would be as good as any ground you could find..

I think if they had to ground 100% to letter of law, no one would ever get installed..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#29 OFFLINE   2dogz

2dogz

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 12:09 PM

The ground block can be inside the dwelling. It will pass building inspection if it is installed within a couple of feet of cable entrance. (I know, kinda loose spec. Someone being practical at NEC.)

Also, ground block weathers much nicer indoors.

Directv since 1997
2x HR21-100 2x HR22-100 1x HR20-700R
Sony Sat T60 Tivo Still Truckin'
AU9 WB616 OTA: Channel Master CM4221

#30 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 12:34 PM

The ground block can be inside the dwelling. It will pass building inspection if it is installed within a couple of feet of cable entrance. (I know, kinda loose spec. Someone being practical at NEC.)

Also, ground block weathers much nicer indoors.

Which is why I asked how far inside it was. Also, there are specific limitations to water pipe attachment these days... and the electrical service panel is right there.

I don't think cable tieing coax to Romex is a great idea, either.

Edited by dwcolvin, 26 May 2010 - 12:45 PM.

#31 OFFLINE   grafixfreak

grafixfreak

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:18 PM

The mess you see with the switch just there and such is from the recent installer. My initial install was much neater with the other switch attached to plywood near the electrical box.

So I guess I should call DTV so they can someone out to "finish" the job. Hopefully its not the same guy--he was a bit messy. He pulled out furniture to access boxes and didnt ask for help-at one point I heard something fall-it was my access point on top of my audio pier that he pulled out from the wall. Then he left and didnt even move the furniture back-my wife and I did it.

#32 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,864 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:31 PM

The mess you see with the switch..

The mess with the SPLITTER.

As for the furniture, not sure how that goes, since you should have moved all of it out for him to have access as needed.
After all they're not furniture movers by trade or training.

I think this is all installer's nightmare.
A.K.A VOS

#33 OFFLINE   grafixfreak

grafixfreak

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:51 PM

Oh I hear you...I didnt intend to have him move any furnniture. I would have moved it out earlier, but having 2 no shows previously for this install, i wasnt sure they were going to show up.

#34 OFFLINE   grafixfreak

grafixfreak

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:50 PM

Rerun antenna setup on your HR20-100s .. They should pass both verification and validation stages.

Looks like you went from a WB68 setup viewing 99°, 101°, 103°, 110° and 119° .. The new LNB only sees 99°, 101°, and 103°. Your HR20s are likely trying to pull guide data from 119° which isn't possible. Once your redo the setup, it should recognize that it's an SL3S and the guide data issues will go away.

This may even fix your networking issues.

Hi Doug, I ran the test you suggested and it wasnt pretty. they did recognize the SL3S (it was listed in the pulldowns that i couldnt pull down and in a box to the right of the info) Attached are images of the results I received from 2 HR20-100 boxes (living room and bedroom). I received the error code 41 on both boxes as seen in the 1st image and the second image was received on the box in the bedroom.

Attached Thumbnails

• living_room_hr20.jpg
  • bedroom_hr20.jpg

Protected By... spam firewall...And...