Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

My 722K is on fire

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kcolg30

kcolg30

Godfather

• Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:10 AM

I posted a few weeks ago about my temps on my 722K. I just checked and now they are at....

High 140
Low 112
Average 122

Nothing is blocking the air path. Fan sounds normal. At what temp will my 722K melt into a blob of plastic or when will the internal temp shutdown the unit.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:15 AM

Those temps aren't particularly high. A bit cooler would be better, sure. Is it in a cabinet or on a shelf that impeads airflow?

#3 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:28 AM

On fire?? Really?? :rolleyes:
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#4 OFFLINE   kcolg30

kcolg30

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:21 AM

Those temps aren't particularly high. A bit cooler would be better, sure. Is it in a cabinet or on a shelf that impeads airflow?

It is sitting on top of the entertainment center. Nothing is around the unit that would prevent airflow from passing into the unit.

#5 OFFLINE   JWKessler

JWKessler

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:00 AM

It is sitting on top of the entertainment center. Nothing is around the unit that would prevent airflow from passing into the unit.

What is the ambient temperature? The temperatures inside electronic equipment typically are some number of degrees above ambient so as the room gets hotter (warm weather is now upon us), the temperatures of our equipment will tend to increase proportionally.

#6 OFFLINE   kcolg30

kcolg30

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:27 AM

What is the ambient temperature? The temperatures inside electronic equipment typically are some number of degrees above ambient so as the room gets hotter (warm weather is now upon us), the temperatures of our equipment will tend to increase proportionally.

Ambient is in the mid 70's in that room. I was just curious since it jumped higher than my last readings a week ago.

#7 OFFLINE   lotboy16

lotboy16

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:29 AM

You've gotta give the thread starter credit. Alot of ppl are gunna view this thread based on the title lol :hurah:

#8 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:44 AM

Think we should send OP some marshmellows?

#9 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 11:46 AM

Think we should send OP some marshmellows?

Don't forget the graham crackers and Hershey's bars. Smores FTW!
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#10 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 11:50 AM

Don't forget the graham crackers and Hershey's bars. Smores FTW!

You do have to give the OP credit though. He has been a prolific thread starter, with some interesting Titles.

#11 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,293 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 26 May 2010 - 12:32 PM

Ah, but for the folks who don't have a fireplace on those cold winter nights, a ViP DVR makes things warm and cozy....

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,206 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 12:41 PM

You've gotta give the thread starter credit. Alot of ppl are gunna view this thread based on the title lol :hurah:

And the 722 is a "hot" receiver ... but now we've spent more posts discussing the title than the temperatures how effective is the title at getting answers?

I'd set a thermometer next to the receiver (but not in the path of the exhaust air flow). See how hot it is outside. My 622 is running at 118-138 (mean ave 132). It could use better airflow.

On top of makes me think of heat from other equipment affecting the 722's temps. Is there any other explanation (sunlight, etc)?

#13 OFFLINE   kcolg30

kcolg30

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 02:47 PM

And the 722 is a "hot" receiver ... but now we've spent more posts discussing the title than the temperatures how effective is the title at getting answers?

I'd set a thermometer next to the receiver (but not in the path of the exhaust air flow). See how hot it is outside. My 622 is running at 118-138 (mean ave 132). It could use better airflow.

On top of makes me think of heat from other equipment affecting the 722's temps. Is there any other explanation (sunlight, etc)?

Thermo says 76 in the room next to the 722. No other equip is on top or next to the 722 and their is no direct sunlight. Other than that I find it odd that it jumped several degrees within the last few days. The unit is normally on for about 8-12 hours per day.

#14 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 02:53 PM

Thermo says 76 in the room next to the 722. No other equip is on top or next to the 722 and their is no direct sunlight. Other than that I find it odd that it jumped several degrees within the last few days. The unit is normally on for about 8-12 hours per day.

Is this causing you a particular problem?
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#15 OFFLINE   b315653

b315653

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 03:46 PM

When I upgraded to HD and saw the temps on the 722K I was a little worried. I went on Ebay and bought one of those notebook coolers.
The trick is picking up the 722 and sliding the cooler under the bottom without breaking the flimsy cooler. Worked really good. Mine has 3 fans that are blowing up through the 722. It's a USB powered cooler so I bought an adapter to plug into the wall for power.

111 Hi, 96 Low. 102 Average is where I am sitting now.

#16 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:06 PM

That's excellent.

#17 OFFLINE   Grampa67

Grampa67

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:21 PM

When I upgraded to HD and saw the temps on the 722K I was a little worried. I went on Ebay and bought one of those notebook coolers.
The trick is picking up the 722 and sliding the cooler under the bottom without breaking the flimsy cooler. Worked really good. Mine has 3 fans that are blowing up through the 722. It's a USB powered cooler so I bought an adapter to plug into the wall for power.

111 Hi, 96 Low. 102 Average is where I am sitting now.

How long does it take for the values stoered in memory to change?

#18 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,420 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:05 PM

All things being equal... the temperature is going to change from day to day depending upon how you use the receiver.

The hard drive is spinning all the time... so that's a constant... but there'd be a heat difference in how you use the drive from day to day.

I have to think it runs hotter if you are recording/playing from all the possible tuners at the same time, than when it is "resting" and just being watched.

Also pausing and trick play should exercise things more than just the normal default buffering that happens when watching live TV.

Also, while the temp is a measure of the hard drive... that temp would be increased by use of the receiver in general... so when the CPU is running hotter, the hard drive might be seeing that heat increase too.. so basically, lots of factors go in to what effects the temperature.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

spam firewall